• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FCC comes down hard on Verizon for $350 ETF

They need to stick it to VZ. Hard! Real hard.
nelson-haha.gif

Upvote 0
Yeah... I have a few problems with vzw... other than the above, there is the $30 a month data plan that dumb-phone users get for cheaper... I understand that smartphones are more expensive but they need to at least lower the monthly price if you are either willing to pay the price in full or bring your own phone.

And of course WTF is the deal with the exorbitant texting price or the inability to (legally) tether without having to pay $30 for smartphones or even more for dumbphones.

Upvote 0
Yeah... I have a few problems with vzw... other than the above, there is the $30 a month data plan that dumb-phone users get for cheaper... I understand that smartphones are more expensive but they need to at least lower the monthly price if you are either willing to pay the price in full or bring your own phone.

And of course WTF is the deal with the exorbitant texting price or the inability to (legally) tether without having to pay $30 for smartphones or even more for dumbphones.

Im with you.Tether your phone and get a monster bill for it.It does feel like VZW will nickel and dime more than others, when they make more money than the others by customer base and cost.

I find it hard to believe that VZW is being punished for this but the governments false taxes on our bills are not questioned on bit by anyone who could make a change because the taxes on my bill that even the phone company cannot explain to me is nothing more than stealing money...Well,looks like VZW and the Governent have things in common.:D

Upvote 0
If you guys think that was "Sticking it to Verizon Wireless" than you guys are ridiculous. All it is, is a simple inquisition into the New Policies. And I've already seen the response from our CEO and Verizon has no plan to change our ETF policy for Advanced Devices because customers are not Forced to sign contracts. They have the option to purchase an advanced device at Full Retail Price and not have a contract. As far as mobile web goes our Vision billing system allows 1min of use per day without charge in case someone accidentally opens the web browser. Verizon hasn't done anything wrong here. People took advantage of the system by opening and closing accounts to sell off the Advanced Devices even after paying the $175 and made a profit. Now Verizon is making the ETF comprable to the price of the phone. Why should a $500 device have the same $175 ETF as a $89 device? (Price in full retail).

Upvote 0
I'm curious what the outcome of this will be. I know that the poster above said that VZW is going to do nothing about it, which may or may not be true- we all know how knowledgable all of the VZW reps claim to be, and they all think they know everything about everything.

I do think that the ETF should be higher for advanced devices, but the way its calculated right now, on month 23 of your 24 month contract, you would still owe $124 dollars seems extremely ridiculous. If they want to raise the ETF, make it the difference in the price of the device. If you got a $600 Droid for $300, then the ETF should be $300, which would go down equal amounts over the 24 month period, not just an arbitrary number that VZW came up with.

Oh well- I guess I don't care anyways- I'm leaving VZW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE when the Xperia X10 comes out- I've had enough of their poor customer service and extremely unreliable devices (BlackBerry Storm- I shouldn't have to pay for cellular service when I'm a beta tester of a device.)

Whatever happens with this FCC/Verizon deal will set the precedent for what other networks charge for ETF's on their devices. If the FCC lets Verizon stick with their $350 ETF, I can see AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint following suit very soon.

Its really too bad that you can't buy phones a la carte- buy the phone and then decide what network you want that device to work on. I bet that will be coming in the future though.

Upvote 0
I have been with Verizon for about 8 years now and have been very happy. My only other experience was with Sprint for about 3 years and my coverage wasn't great. I have no problem with Verizon setting the $350 ETF since it allowed me to get the new Droid for about $400 less than full price. I could have always paid full price if I didn't want the contract.

Overall, (on a selfish basis) I am happy with higher ETF's for smartphones because it allows Verizon to offer greater discounts on expensive phones to people like me who have been with them and are planning on staying with them.

Upvote 0
^ Except the monthly fees aren't any cheaper if we bring our own phone, or are on the same plan after the contract expires. The whole reason our phones are cheaper is because the cost is subsidized when we sign a contract.

Honestly, I think our monthly fees should go down after the contract is up or if we bring in our own phone. Also like stated above, the initial cost of the ETF should be equal to the value of the difference of the value of the device, and be prorated from there.

It's been said here on the forums many times. I really hope something is done about this. Now that the new ETF is in effect, would I be prorated that price rather than the $175 it was when I initially bought the phone? (I'm not thinking about doing this anytime soon, I really like my Droid)

Upvote 0
Was there not already a thread on this? Signing a contract is voluntary no? Lmao they really "came down hard on them". Big old evil vzw LOL....
Exactly. Too many in this nation (world?) feel they should not be held accountable for their actions, apparently. You sign a contract, you abide by it until it is over. No whining, no crying, and crying foul when you knew the deal up front. Don't like the ETF? Patronize another company.

Upvote 0
If I could, I wanted to respond to the VZW ETF issue from a pragmatic, consumer-oriented direction by addressing, in particular, those people who are facing ETFs because their wireless service was too expensive so they had to end their contracts prematurely.

I would like to address what you just said, from a "pragmatic" perspective, lmfao.
First
If someone ends their contract because their service was "too expensive" they are not very smart. As for VZW, you can change your plan anytime, if it is "too expensive", then select a cheaper plan maybe? Or here's an idea, as a VZW customer, (which I am as well as an employee), I can or any customer can at anytime change their plan online, FOR FREE.

The real issue is personal responsibility, which has already been mentioned here. If you CHOOSE to sign a 2 year contract, w/out being able to pay for it, and then cry when you get disconnected for non payment and hit w/ an additional ETF, too bad, that is YOUR FAULT. Not the wireless companies fault. YOU CHOOSE THE PLAN, YOU SIGN THE CONTRACT.

For these people, avoid both the ETFs and the expensive plans by seriously cutting your wireless costs; an intuitive but often realistically tough proposition. However, I work in the consumer advocacy division of the Houston-based company Validas, where we electronically audit and subsequently reduce the average cell bill by 22 percent through our website, fixmycellbill.com (and I'll add that 22 percent equates to over $450 per year for the average user).

You can find out for free if fixmycellbill.com can modify your plan to better suit your individual needs by going to the website. Check out Validas in the media, most recently on Fox News .

Good luck to everyone reading on retaking control over your wireless expenses and potentially freeing up some extra cash this holiday season.

Dylan
Consumer Advocacy, Fixmycellbill.com

Here's another question that you probably will not answer Dylan, when you provide this "amazing" service for folks, what happens after you convince them to select a cheaper plan, and then a month later they incur massive overages for voice or data and their bill ends up 10 times higher than it would have been had they just left it alone to begin with? Do you cover overages for people that this happens to?
I would submit that you do not offer any kind of service that anyone could not already get for free directly from me, (which I provide on a daily basis) or for themselves by just using their own brain. And you can say that I will just try to screw my customers, but the truth is, I work on commission, and to be truly successful in what I do, I build my business w/ trust between myself and my customers, and by ensuring that they are getting what they need, for the best possible price, hence growing my customer base and having repeat, repeat, repeat, business over a number of years. It's my job to make sure my customers are on an appropriate rate plan for their use.
Sure I could stick anyone on the lowest end rate plan and claim that I am saving them money, but if they go onto a 500 minute basic voice plan, and pay 15 cents per text, and actually use 1000 minutes and send and recieve 500 text a month, then that's not really saving them money @.45 cents per minute overage and 15 cents per text now is it?

BTW, I have read on multiple boards now after a quick google search, almost ver batum this same post.

Can anyone get me some mayo for this,

SPAM.

Your post was good for a laugh though I will give you that.:p

BTW, how much do you charge for this amazing service, I mean as an "advocate" lol.

Upvote 0
dbb10001 said:
...where we electronically audit and subsequently reduce the average cell bill by 22 percent through our website, [redacted] (and I'll add that 22 percent equates to over $450 per year for the average user).

Wow! These that equates to an average pre-audit bill of over $170 per month. It would be pretty hard to get a bill for a single line that high without overages. Maybe the adjustment is to put users on a plan with a higher monthly recurring charge, that results in less overages, and a lower overall bill?

Upvote 0
I don't mind the ETF being raised because I understand that I'm paying a lower price for the phone with a 2 year contract. What I DO mind is customer service reps telling me that the company loses money when a customer returns or exchanges a phone within the 30-day trial period. They shouldn't offer the Worry Free Guarantee if that's the case (which I don't believe for a minute). I know they can sell returned phones for a lower price and then make a major profit from the data plan over 24 months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones