• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Features of gingerbread

I found that android 3.0 is gingerbread, what are the new features in gingerbread and when it is going to be launched. And also i need information about the official release date of Honeycomb.

Easy quicksilver,lets work on getting gingerbread first before we jump the gun,don't think anyone or anything on what's after after gingerbread is officially out yet just speculations.

Upvote 0
I found that android 3.0 is gingerbread, what are the new features in gingerbread and when it is going to be launched. And also i need information about the official release date of Honeycomb.

Rumor has it that Gingerbread will mainly include changes for the UI. Google is trying to get manufacturers like HTC and Motorola to stop putting Sense and/or Blur on the phone and they want to make the vanilla interface so good the manufacturers won't change it. No clue about Honeycomb.

Upvote 0
Honeycomb is apparently introducing features specifically for tablet devices.

I do wonder what the plan is for Android OS in the future, given that Gingerbread has a set of minimum requirements. As such, it would seem that devices with low-resolution screens (e.g. X10 mini) are unlikely to comply.

On that basis, will 2.2 remain for these (and continue to see updates), while 3.0 continues for devices with fast processors, high-definition displays and integration with other devices (e.g. TV) or other form factors (e.g. tablets).

The Galaxy Tab will be 2.2, and probably with the right spec to be given 3.0, but I do wonder if Android OS will be split up in some way - or the minimum hardware requirements won't be quite as strict as some predict.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Rumor has it that Gingerbread will mainly include changes for the UI. Google is trying to get manufacturers like HTC and Motorola to stop putting Sense and/or Blur on the phone and they want to make the vanilla interface so good the manufacturers won't change it. No clue about Honeycomb.

Where can i get information about Vanilla interface in detail.

Upvote 0
A few phones released so far will get 3.0. They've already listed the minimum requirements for it and most phones do not have them.

It's a tad old, but... Android 3.0 Gingerbread details: 1280×760 resolution, 1Ghz minimum specs, mid-Oct. release Unwired View

So the DInc, EVO, DX, D2, and the Galaxy S phones are in line to get it. Of course, the N1, too. But the list gets thin after that. Most tablets won't even have it and will still ship later on this year with Froyo. Some are suggesting 3.0 (Gingerbread) won't be a major upgrade and would be something analogous to 2.0. "Honeycomb" (still unofficial) which could be 3.1/3.5, seems like it would be the 2.1 to the 2.0.

Upvote 0
Does anyone find it odd that Gingerbread is slated for release this year when Froyo isn't even out for most phones? It seems like going from 2.1 to 2.2 would be a smaller upgrade than going from 2.2 to 3.0. Don't get me wrong, I like that Google is taking their phone OS so seriously and are devoting so many resources to it, I just think that until phones (other than stock Google phones) are updating faster, it wouldn't hurt to slow the release dates and use that time to add more polish.

Upvote 0
Does anyone find it odd that Gingerbread is slated for release this year when Froyo isn't even out for most phones? It seems like going from 2.1 to 2.2 would be a smaller upgrade than going from 2.2 to 3.0. Don't get me wrong, I like that Google is taking their phone OS so seriously and are devoting so many resources to it, I just think that until phones (other than stock Google phones) are updating faster, it wouldn't hurt to slow the release dates and use that time to add more polish.
Google has already said that after Gingerbread, the release cycles will be longer. I don't know that the specific intent is to give phone manufacturers and carriers each more time to get their handsets updated, but that will be one side effect of it. They did state their premise is to reduce the number of OS versions out in the wild.

Upvote 0
Google has already said that after Gingerbread, the release cycles will be longer. I don't know that the specific intent is to give phone manufacturers and carriers each more time to get their handsets updated, but that will be one side effect of it. They did state their premise is to reduce the number of OS versions out in the wild.

Google has got tons and tons of money to spend for the next upgrade within short period of time. But this smartphone market is fast and furious, if google takes time to release the next version longer, then the next fellow apple inc will try to beat google. I do not think google will take time longer for the next versions, as i came to know honeycomb is also on the pipeline.

Upvote 0
Google has got tons and tons of money to spend for the next upgrade within short period of time. But this smartphone market is fast and furious, if google takes time to release the next version longer, then the next fellow apple inc will try to beat google. I do not think google will take time longer for the next versions, as i came to know honeycomb is also on the pipeline.

Yeah and I'm already beta testing Italian Ice(4.0) :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones