• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fed Up With this Google Garbage

:)
Thx. At this point (or at least the one I was at last night) I was ready to roll over this thing with a fork lift. ha ha. Ever get so frustrated with something you get to your boiling point?

I hear you, man. I've written rants about various devices including a 10 page tirade about Toshiba's customer support. Of course that was in a personal blog and not here. OfTheDamned is right about the helpful nature of support forums in general and these in particular. If you yell fire in a crowded theater, some people will run and some will pull out the marshmallows, but don't be surprised if you end up with a bucket of water in your face, too. ;)

As far as my phone...man, it's eating bandwidth like crazy... DIALER is the main culprit.

You are going to hate this, mostly because it's 'helpful' and I wouldn't want to harsh your expressive catharsis but your phone has gone cattywumpus. (sorry, if i'm using too much technical jargon ;)). Seriously, that is not the way the phone should be behaving and I seriously suspect there is an app accessing the dialer inappropriately or the dialer itself has become corrupted. It is more likely the former than the latter because if the latter were the culprit, you probably wouldn't be able to make or receive calls either.

I would seriously consider a factory reset and see if that clears up the data bleeding.

Let me offer a word of caution. Many apps provide services for other parts of the OS and if you remove them, you can disable certain features or make your phone unusable. More importantly, system apps are not easily restorable like simply installing an .apk file. And once deleted, even a factory reset will not recover them. You will have to locate and flash a stock rom image to get them back. Facebook, YouTube and Dialer are apps that if you delete them will render your phone unusable. A safer way to handle this is to root your phone and then freeze those apps with Titanium Backup.

But it's not fair to present only the good.
There are some down sides to Android as with anything and people
should be free to read all opinions and come to their own conclusions. (imho)

Cheers!

There are absolutely problems with Android and it's implantation across a wide array of devices. We discuss them every day. And, it's human nature to want to blow off some steam when a device has frustrated you to the point of ...well ... this. I think some of the contradictions you are getting in other peoples' opinions are how you drew your conclusions. I don't completely agree with your assessments, although I do scratch my head every time Google redoes the Market interface (I still can't get used to calling it "play").

Microsoft took a lot of heat for Vista when it was first released, but it really wasn't as bad as they claim. It was actually a huge step forward. The problems arose when the manufacturers balked at the minimum spec's to be "Vista Certified" as many of their current models were short in one area or another ... enough to keep them from getting the sticker. Microsoft (and this was the problem) then lowered the spec to "Vista Capable" which allowed Dell and Toshiba and Sony, et. al. to not have to pull the current models from inventory. Now you have a whole lot of people buying new computers below the recommended spec' and having a pretty bad experience in the process.

I think the LG Optimus kind of puts you in a similar position. It is a lower spec'ed device and will run into problems with newer software/firmware where more capable models won't.

Please don't take this as a criticism of you or any choices you have made, or even the Optimus. It is what it is ... a budget model with all the limitations that go with it. However, while you are considering other platforms, you might also want to consider a more robust android device too. (Yeah, I'm an enthusiast and would like to see you satisfied with Android, but I'm more interested in seeing you satisfied in general.)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Upvote 0
I hear you, man. I've written rants about various devices including a 10 page tirade about Toshiba's customer support. Of course that was in a personal blog and not here. OfTheDamned is right about the helpful nature of support forums in general and these in particular. If you yell fire in a crowded theater, some people will run and some will pull out the marshmallows, but don't be surprised if you end up with a bucket of water in your face, too. ;)

You are going to hate this, mostly because it's 'helpful' and I wouldn't want to harsh your expressive catharsis but your phone has gone cattywumpus. (sorry, if i'm using too much technical jargon ;)). Seriously, that is not the way the phone should be behaving and I seriously suspect there is an app accessing the dialer inappropriately or the dialer itself has become corrupted. It is more likely the former than the latter because if the latter were the culprit, you probably wouldn't be able to make or receive calls either.

I would seriously consider a factory reset and see if that clears up the data bleeding.

Let me offer a word of caution. Many apps provide services for other parts of the OS and if you remove them, you can disable certain features or make your phone unusable. More importantly, system apps are not easily restorable like simply installing an .apk file. And once deleted, even a factory reset will not recover them. You will have to locate and flash a stock rom image to get them back. Facebook, YouTube and Dialer are apps that if you delete them will render your phone unusable. A safer way to handle this is to root your phone and then freeze those apps with Titanium Backup.

There are absolutely problems with Android and it's implantation across a wide array of devices. We discuss them every day. And, it's human nature to want to blow off some steam when a device has frustrated you to the point of ...well ... this. I think some of the contradictions you are getting in other peoples' opinions are how you drew your conclusions. I don't completely agree with your assessments, although I do scratch my head every time Google redoes the Market interface (I still can't get used to calling it "play").

Microsoft took a lot of heat for Vista when it was first released, but it really wasn't as bad as they claim. It was actually a huge step forward. The problems arose when the manufacturers balked at the minimum spec's to be "Vista Certified" as many of their current models were short in one area or another ... enough to keep them from getting the sticker. Microsoft (and this was the problem) then lowered the spec to "Vista Capable" which allowed Dell and Toshiba and Sony, et. al. to not have to pull the current models from inventory. Now you have a whole lot of people buying new computers below the recommended spec' and having a pretty bad experience in the process.

I think the LG Optimus kind of puts you in a similar position. It is a lower spec'ed device and will run into problems with newer software/firmware where more capable models won't.

Please don't take this as a criticism of you or any choices you have made, or even the Optimus. It is what it is ... a budget model with all the limitations that go with it. However, while you are considering other platforms, you might also want to consider a more robust android device too. (Yeah, I'm an enthusiast and would like to see you satisfied with Android, but I'm more interested in seeing you satisfied in general.)

Thank YOU SIR :D

Best Response so far and most helpful.
I think I will back it up and do a factory reset.
Is rooting a risky thing to do?

Funny how many people would like you to believe they never get ruffled about anything
lmao

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0

I just want to say, lunatic , that your post is one of the best I have read on this site.

Just to add my two cents, like the other Android fans here, I love the Android platform, and I am not even rooted.
As I mentioned there are a few annoyances, such as the Facebook bloatwear and the Blockbuster app.
Also, while I have never experienced the data problems the OP mentions, on my previous device that was running Foyo, I did have some data leakage with the Facebook app that I never used. As other member of this great forum know, I do not have, and have never had, a Facebook account. So, yes, it was an annoyance that the Facebook app on my HTC Hero was using data eventhough, I never launched it or logged in to Facebook. It was, honestly, never a major concern since I have unlimited data with Sprint, but it did slow my phone a little when the Facebook app tried to sync with Facebook with no assigned account.
However, I have not experienced that problem with my current device, HTC EVO, with Gingerbread. It seems that Gingerbread, being more stable, knows that I do not use Facebook, and keeps it in a perpetual sleep mode.

Ok, so what is my point...
My point is that I completely agree with what the Mods and Guides have said, that it seems that an app is accessing your Dialer app. I also agree that a Factory reset should fix the problem.
Additionally, the point to my story above about the Facebook app is that I also agree with other posters, that it might be time for the OP to get a new Android device with Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich on it. That might also solve your problems.

Upvote 0
Well you just keep enjoying that lil sugar pie then. You are still on the honeymoon.

I was just like you a while back. But When I look online, LOTS of people are just as disillusioned with the direction Android is going. Google Play is a mess, is overloaded, a drain on the phones and far too invasive.

Im just not afraid to say it is all.

:D

I've been running Android for 4 years, I think the honeymoon has been over for a while.

Upvote 0
:p
Ok ok,,,for the MOST part I've enjoyed my Android. (No I didn't?)

But MAN I hate this new Google Play thing. It's more for kids IMO

I might learn to like my Android again if I root it, or factory reset it and start over.

Just need to back up any important stuff first.

The best part about Android, is you don't even have to use the Google Market/Play! ;)

If you don't like the Google Play, how about trying an alternative like Amazon, SlideMe, or GetJar? Many choices to choose from, you're not locked into just one store!

How does that sound?

If you need help rooting and such, I'm pretty good in that area as well.

Upvote 0
The best part about Android, is you don't even have to use the Google Market/Play! ;)

If you don't like the Google Play, how about trying an alternative like Amazon, SlideMe, or GetJar? Many choices to choose from, you're not locked into just one store!

How does that sound?

Some folks are just more patient and tolerant than others.
I blew off some steam, avoided a postal situation (kidding)
and now can move forward.

See, even the wild ones can be calmed with the right technique :p

Still hate GP tho haha

Upvote 0

How does that sound?

I agree with IOWA

If you don't like Google Play (and I do agree that it is a dumb name), the try something else. Or root. While, as I mentioned, I am not rooted, there are a lot of Guides, Mods, and dedicated Member here in this forum that are willing to help. Alot of them are even willing to provide one-on-one help. Just ask

Upvote 0
Reactions: AirCatHeavy
Upvote 0

Funny how many people would like you to believe they never get ruffled about anything
lmao

Awww, I'm blushing. See, I've turned red! ;)

I would say rooting can be risky if you go off willy-nilly (there's that technical talk again) and start moving changing and deleting things without understanding the consequences, unless you are a daredevil and like watching things go ka-BOOM.

Seriously, rooting is safe and relatively easy if you take a few steps to safeguard yourself.

I'd recommend you do this in the following steps ...

Backup your phone. Copy user storage ... pic's tones, other media, doc's, etc. ... off the SD card and to a PC or other storage. Back up your SMS messages if they are important to you and any app settings, if those apps have that option. gmail and contacts will restore automatically as long as you've been sync'ing. If not, you'll need to back those up, too.

Reset your phone and clear all data and cache. It's basically starting from square one. Before you install any apps or perform any updates, root your phone. Now, I don't have an Optimus so please check with the folks in Optimus (GT540) - All Things Root - Android Forums to make sure that is in fact the best time to root your phone. As soon as you root it, make a nandroid backup. (We'll help you with that, too). Then go ahead and install your apps and setup your screens and widgets, testing that each one works after installing it. Once you have your phone setup and restored your data, perform another nandroid backup. that way you have several points to set your phone back to in case it starts going crazy again. This time you won't have to go all the way back, like windows restore points.

Like IOWA stated, there are legitimate alternates to Google Play. Give them a try. You could even use Play without using Play through a service like Appbrain. A much more market-like interface.

Upvote 0
Awww, I'm blushing. See, I've turned red! ;)

I would say rooting can be risky if you go off willy-nilly (there's that technical talk again) and start moving changing and deleting things without understanding the consequences, unless you are a daredevil and like watching things go ka-BOOM.

Seriously, rooting is safe and relatively easy if you take a few steps to safeguard yourself.

I'd recommend you do this in the following steps ...

Backup your phone. Copy user storage ... pic's tones, other media, doc's, etc. ... off the SD card and to a PC or other storage. Back up your SMS messages if they are important to you and any app settings, if those apps have that option. gmail and contacts will restore automatically as long as you've been sync'ing. If not, you'll need to back those up, too.

Reset your phone and clear all data and cache. It's basically starting from square one. Before you install any apps or perform any updates, root your phone. Now, I don't have an Optimus so please check with the folks in Optimus (GT540) - All Things Root - Android Forums to make sure that is in fact the best time to root your phone. As soon as you root it, make a nandroid backup. (We'll help you with that, too). Then go ahead and install your apps and setup your screens and widgets, testing that each one works after installing it. Once you have your phone setup and restored your data, perform another nandroid backup. that way you have several points to set your phone back to in case it starts going crazy again. This time you won't have to go all the way back, like windows restore points.

Like IOWA stated, there are legitimate alternates to Google Play. Give them a try. You could even use Play without using Play through a service like Appbrain. A much more market-like interface.

Will do.
I was seeing RED last night. :p
Seems you can buy another $300 - $400 phone every year just to keep up Oh My!

Great advice and I thank you again.

Upvote 0
Rant Alert.....

I've been an Android user for several years. I've decided to move on.

I'm sick and tired of Google's arrogance and control.

Every time I get my phone just the way I want it, they force some BS new garbage on my phone and it renders it stupid.

First it was the inability to use programs that would terminate applications.

Now it's Google Play. I Freakin HATE this Google Pay Garbage with a passion. I can't get apps anymore and I'm not the least bit interested in their music or stupid games or other Garbage. It also breaks my phone and my data usage is about 125 mb per day even if I dont use it. ENOUGH of being a Google Zombie / Lemming !!!

Anyone else fed up with Google ?

Sry..just frustrated :D

Amen to this brother, I am beyond frusturated with google. I want an iphone bad lol, too bad my dad loved his droid so much that he talked me into one

Upvote 0
Amen to this brother, I am beyond frusturated with google. I want an iphone bad lol, too bad my dad loved his droid so much that he talked me into one

Just want to point out, that after following our advice it seems things have turned around and he's a happy androider.

Perhaps give us a shot and let us help you fix your problem of you deleting your primary Google account.

Upvote 0
Just want to point out, that after following our advice it seems things have turned around and he's a happy androider.

Perhaps give us a shot and let us help you fix your problem of you deleting your primary Google account.

Hey, hold on there. Not so fast.
I didn't say all that.

Following the advice of some of the members here I did a factory reset. Ok, that went as expected. Phone was reset back to the way it was when I got. So far so good.

Next I had to re-register the phone with my Google account. Ok, so far so good.

Next, just be be sure all was ok now, I downloaded ONE app. Onova Application Monitor.

Guess what? DIALER is STILL gobbling up bandwidth. I'll measure the MB / min but can someone tell me what a phone with only one user installed app on it should be using per minute while NOT using the Internet / wifi etc?

ok..I measured it.......

Service Programu is clocking up the bandwidth in perfect sync with it. Looks to be at the rate of about 1MB every 30 minutes or 2MB per hour or 48MB per day or 1440 MB month with absolutely no user interaction, nothing non factory installed other than onova.

Isn't that approx 1.4 GB per month ?
This is almost the exact same usage I reported BEFORE the factory reset.
(please check my math. I've been out of school for a long time).

So, now what do you say android fans?

PS.
When I was resetting to factory, something somewhere said something about my phone being rooted.
I never rooted it?
Could my phone have been rooted without my knowing it? (like before I got it).
How can I tell if my phone is rooted?

By the way....I'm not the only one...
Here's another thread on this forum where others are having the same issue.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-droid-charge/358827-dialer-suddenly-network-hog.html

And guess what? They never got a resolution either :mad::eek:

What's with these crazy funky Androids ?
""Play that funky muuuusic Androoooid""

Upvote 0

lmao

Never get ruffled? Nah - but not over a phone. :)

I had a OG Droid for the longest time - let's talk about slow, juggling apps because of the way memory is handled and by the end the speaker in the headset was shot.
I most certainly did not get "ruffled." I got a new phone.:D

Upvote 0
Hey, hold on there. Not so fast.
I didn't say all that.

Following the advice of some of the members here I did a factory reset. Ok, that went as expected. Phone was reset back to the way it was when I got. So far so good.

Next I had to re-register the phone with my Google account. Ok, so far so good.

Next, just be be sure all was ok now, I downloaded ONE app. Onova Application Monitor.

Guess what? DIALER is STILL gobbling up bandwidth. I'll measure the MB / min but can someone tell me what a phone with only one user installed app on it should be using per minute while NOT using the Internet / wifi etc?

ok..I measured it.......

Service Programu is clocking up the bandwidth in perfect sync with it. Looks to be at the rate of about 1MB every 30 minutes or 2MB per hour or 48MB per day or 1440 MB month with absolutely no user interaction, nothing non factory installed other than onova.

Isn't that approx 1.4 GB per month ?
This is almost the exact same usage I reported BEFORE the factory reset.
(please check my math. I've been out of school for a long time).

So, now what do you say android fans?

PS.
When I was resetting to factory, something somewhere said something about my phone being rooted.
I never rooted it?
Could my phone have been rooted without my knowing it? (like before I got it).
How can I tell if my phone is rooted?

By the way....I'm not the only one...
Here's another thread on this forum where others are having the same issue.
http://androidforums.com/samsung-droid-charge/358827-dialer-suddenly-network-hog.html

And guess what? They never got a resolution either :mad::eek:

What's with these crazy funky Androids ?
""Play that funky muuuusic Androoooid""

That really doesn't sound right, but I'm gonna go on a hunch here. Disable data completely on your phone, but leave the wireless network on for a while. Also, while you're at it, how about some screen shots?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones