• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fed Up With this Google Garbage

Never get ruffled? Nah - but not over a phone. :)

I had a OG Droid for the longest time - let's talk about slow, juggling apps because of the way memory is handled and by the end the speaker in the headset was shot.
I most certainly did not get "ruffled." I got a new phone.:D

Says The Angry Hatter.....
KNEE SLAPPER ...ROFL
I get it...winky winky.
C'mon..what did you do to all those phone before you got a new one?
Remeber what the Robot in Lost In Space said when he went on a rampage ?
"Crush...Kill....Destroy....Crush ...Kill....Destroy...."
:D

Upvote 0
That really doesn't sound right, but I'm gonna go on a hunch here. Disable data completely on your phone, but leave the wireless network on for a while. Also, while you're at it, how about some screen shots?

IOWA, I appreciate your optimism.

But screen shots? Of what?

The phone is Bone Stock Factory reset with only one app installed. Onova.
Nothing really to see here.

Upvote 0
Says The Angry Hatter.....
KNEE SLAPPER ...ROFL
I get it...winky winky.
C'mon..what did you do to all those phone before you got a new one?
Remeber what the Robot in Lost In Space said when he went on a rampage ?
"Crush...Kill....Destroy....Crush ...Kill....Destroy...."

I'm not following you.

All those phones? I have had one OG droid for a couple of years. Just one.
And now I have an equally not bleeding edge X2.
In the scheme of things a phone is not worth being upset about.

Upvote 0
I'm not following you.

All those phones? I have had one OG droid for a couple of years. Just one.
And now I have an equally not bleeding edge X2.
In the scheme of things a phone is not worth being upset about.

Well, in and of itself....maybe not....

But....

There just might be circumstances where the phone could be the last straw in a chain of very frustrating events. We all want to be James Bond cool. Reality check. :)

I wasn't really as upset as it may have seemed. Read my line of posts and see if you see through the pretense. Actually, I AM James Bond...that's the ticket! ;)

Upvote 0
Well, in and of itself....maybe not....

But....

There just might be circumstances where the phone could be the last straw in a chain of very frustrating events. We all want to be James Bond cool. Reality check. :)

I wasn't really as upset as it may have seemed. Read my line of posts and see if you see through the pretense. Actually, I AM James Bond...that's the ticket! ;)

So what you are saying is that you were shaken, not stirred.

Upvote 0
If IOWA is thinking what I'm thinking, it could be a VM OTA using the dialer to download, but never quite completing.

May I assume VM - Virgin Mobile ?

and OTM....hmmm...
Online Telemetry Operation?
Overloaded Texting Matrix?
or....how about
Occipital Targeting Machine ?

:)

In any event, is there anything I can do about that ?

Upvote 0
So what you are saying is that you were shaken, not stirred.

:) That's it Brother man!

And potentially but disproportionately dysfunctionally flummoxed...or irresolute :D

BUT ..be it known that the phone survived the ordeal and was not used for target practice.

I ask now the unthinkable....
Is it even possible this phone has some kind of malware on it that could survive a factory reset ?

Upvote 0
:)

I ask now the unthinkable....
Is it even possible this phone has some kind of malware on it that could survive a factory reset ?

If the you bought the phone new and never rooted it, then no. If you bought the phone second (or third) hand and it had custom firmware, then anything's possible.

Upvote 0
If the you bought the phone new and never rooted it, then no. If you bought the phone second (or third) hand and it had custom firmware, then anything's possible.

Actually, I bought it off ebay. Used. Hmmmm. Im just too trusting.

Would flashing a new image cure that if worst case scenario exists?

Can someone who has onova please check to see how much data DIALER uses over a set period of time?

Apparently other people have this same issue.

thx

Upvote 0
Actually, I bought it off ebay. Used. Hmmmm. Im just too trusting.

Would flashing a new image cure that if worst case scenario exists?

Can someone who has onova please check to see how much data DIALER uses over a set period of time?

Apparently other people have this same issue.

thx

Flashing a new ROM certainly would. I'd look at getting the stock rom for this handset of you can find it.

Upvote 0
Flashing a new ROM certainly would. I'd look at getting the stock rom for this handset of you can find it.

Yeah being bought second hand, all bets are off.

This is why this type of information is very important in troubleshooting.

None one of it makes a bit of sense to me, and I'd really like to see a screenshot and perhaps a logcat as I previously suggested. :)

Upvote 0
If they are stock apps that came with the phone, you can't unless you root.

Could you imagine if the computer industry tried that scam...here buy and own a product but we retain the right and power to keep crap on your machine, update the crap, and keep you from removing them...

It would be like buying a home but not being able to repaint or buy or throw away old furniture...I find it infuriating and the only thing I really, really dislike about Android.

Reactions: AirCatHeavy
Upvote 0
Could you imagine if the computer industry tried that scam...here buy and own a product but we retain the right and power to keep crap on your machine, update the crap, and keep you from removing them...

It would be like buying a home but not being able to repaint or buy or throw away old furniture...I find it infuriating and the only thing I really, really dislike about Android.

Remember Internet Explorer? Computer manufacturers did this for years and got away with it.

The real issue isn't with Android though. Sure, there are apps like youtube on every phone, Google isn't putting these other apps on the phones by default, the carriers are. Verizon, Sprint, At&t, T-Mobile, etc. are the ones forcing these apps like facebook on the phones. The latest OS (4.0) takes care of this though. If you don't want the app you can disable it. It doesn't remove the app, but it won't run and you can only see it in settings.

Upvote 0
Android still gives us WAY more control than iOS. Oh, and OTA=over the air. Firmware update pushed to your phone by the carrier (not Google) frequently a download of 80 to 150mb, depending on your handset. I have an entry level phone on the cheapest plan I could find, and with a well made custom Rom, my Optimus V performs comparably to an iPhone 3G. For less than $150 without a credit check. I can't complain, my Android has been good to me.

Upvote 0
Yes, there is an app with a skull and crossbones called superuser but all it does is open MyBackup Pro. (which I paid for).

Does this mean my phone is rooted?

Yes, you are rooted. It lists MyBackup Pro because it grants root privileges to that app. Apparently, that the only app you have that requires root to run.

Upvote 0
Google is now wanting to put all your +stuff on your Gmail. Twitter wants to sent tweets, ads and followers to you email. Facebook want you to pay to make sure your posts are seen. GM will be pulling ads from FB, Twitter you can opt out of (I did). Haven't seen any offers of opt out for Google +. Hope they are not automatically signing you up for a + account. I don't want one. I get Gmail through Thunderbird anyway. Used whatever came with tablet instead of actual Gmail.

BTW there were shell programs that hid IE. They worked. Did not have IE on 98SE or 2000.

Upvote 0
Yes, you are rooted. It lists MyBackup Pro because it grants root privileges to that app. Apparently, that the only app you have that requires root to run.

wow. This changes a lot...Doesn't it?

I did a factory reset 2 weeks ago, because I didn't know it was rooted.
It seemed to be successful? Everything was back to the way it was when I first got the phone. Is it not possible to have the SuperUser icon and be Un-Rooted?

I'm familiar with Linux. How do I go about taking advantage of the fact that it's rooted?

Thx

Upvote 0
wow. This changes a lot...Doesn't it?

No,not really. Much of what you can do with Android doesn't require root.

I did a factory reset 2 weeks ago, because I didn't know it was rooted.
It seemed to be successful? Everything was back to the way it was when I first got the phone. Is it not possible to have the SuperUser icon and be Un-Rooted?

Highly unlikely. A factory reset doesn't necessarily return your phone to stock. It really clears user data, removes installed apps and sets everything back to default. If you have applied any updates, they will remain and so will any root apps. That's why a factory reset won't unroot your phone.

I'm familiar with Linux. How do I go about taking advantage of the fact that it's rooted?

Thx

You can use apps that require root or you can flash new roms or kernels. It really will depend on your comfort level and what you want to do.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your help.
Last thing....
Can you suggest any apps I can install and use on my "potentially" rooted phone to help me find and eliminate possible malware or other unwanted scripts or files that might be causing my phone to use nearly 2 GB of data each month even if I don't use it at all ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones