• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Fed up with trying to finish root process - help please

es0tericcha0s

Apr 16, 2010
So, I've spent hours and hours reading, watching youtube vids, playing with the phone, all to no avail. I've tried multiple tutorials and forums and just can not get past the fastboot bootloader section. I've tried at work on Windows 7 and at home on XP, neither with any luck. I have the root 2.1 installed and ADB installed with all the other prereqs. Once I get to the ADB section to do the fastboot bootloader it just scrolls through the same screen as just typing in ADB. I realize this means I'm not the root user according to ADB since it just shows the $ sign and not the #. I've followed all the steps up to this point, so where could I have gone wrong? ADB recognizes my phone, I've updated the USB drivers(at least I think so - the folder is in my androidsdk/tools file and under SDK set up everything is updated and installed) SDK recognizes that my phone is hooked up and it gives me the serial number as well. All my research says this is all you need so wtf? I thought about doing the All in One script but don't think I can now since I'm already running the 2.1 firmware. Is it really that big of a deal to do this step or can I just skip to flashing a custom rom? I don't have that much stuff on the phone that I can't reenter all my contacts and get the apps I want. Sorry it's long, just trying to cover as many bases as possible so someone smart can help.

Yes, I've tried this one, the one on the unlockr.com, and probably 1 or 2 more. It's all kind of running together now. Also, to Andrizoid - getting the 2.1 firmware (loading the PB00IMG file) is the very first step listed on any how to guide, so how would that not get me to the place I want to be?

Upvote 0
the PB00IMG file is not necessarily the 2.1 firmware
the PB00IMG file is the boot image. there are at least 4 floating about out there that i can think of off the top of my head
-original root leaked from htc
-2.1 leak
-2.1.2 leak
-2.1.3 leak

depending on which one you downloaded you may not be able to get root.

try doing this. copy all the files on your SD card onto your comp, go into settings>SD card and choose unmount and then choose format. then download the PB00IMG file from the guide on the sticky. flash that and follow the instructions.

after restarting the phone, enable debugging, open a new terminal window and navigate to your sdk files and run adb shell
after the $ pops up, type "su" without the quotes.
check your phone and see if a prompt pops up.

Upvote 0
So I tried that and it failed because my version is newer I guess. I really don't recall where I got the first IMG from(I want to say the unlockr though). If it helps:

Firmware 2.1
Baseband version 2.41.04.02.02
Kernel version 2.6.29-5cf233c2 htc-kernel@and18-2 #1
Build number 2.26.605.2 CL134869 release keys
Software number 2.26.605.2
Browser version Webkit 3.1
PRI version 2.11_002
PRL version 65121
ERI version 5

Upvote 0
the PB00IMG file is not necessarily the 2.1 firmware
the PB00IMG file is the boot image. there are at least 4 floating about out there that i can think of off the top of my head
-original root leaked from htc
-2.1 leak
-2.1.2 leak
-2.1.3 leak

depending on which one you downloaded you may not be able to get root.

try doing this. copy all the files on your SD card onto your comp, go into settings>SD card and choose unmount and then choose format. then download the PB00IMG file from the guide on the sticky. flash that and follow the instructions.

after restarting the phone, enable debugging, open a new terminal window and navigate to your sdk files and run adb shell
after the $ pops up, type "su" without the quotes.
check your phone and see if a prompt pops up.

Having the same problem. If I flash and it hangs will I brick it or is this something I can survive through. used the 2.1.3 leak from Caddy and now now SU.

Upvote 0
Having the same problem. If I flash and it hangs will I brick it or is this something I can survive through. used the 2.1.3 leak from Caddy and now now SU.

if you used the leak you cant root.

not to be a dick but you people need to pay attention to what your doing to your phones. do research but you just decide to start messing around with the software.

itech, you are fine. you leaked, flashing the root image wont do anything, but fool around enough with it and you will brick it. stop flashing the root image and trying to root., nothing will happen except you ****ing up your phone

Upvote 0
Alrighty then. Word on the street is that I am SOL. Some more reseach showed me that I did manage to download a leak version(I believe Leak V2). Which I find pretty odd since it was in the first step of a how to root your phone guide(from a reputable site- I thought). So glad I spent this many hours trying to do this when I failed right during step 1. I'm not crying because it's the price you pay to do something a little outside of the norm, but on the other hand, it is pretty darn annoying. I want to get rid of a few issues that the newest version addresses, but they aren't serious though. I really just want to tighten the ship up by getting rid of a bunch of crap that I don't want or need on my phone, which is why I want to root. So wait a bit till someone figures out the older leak root or do it now and wait a bit longer for someone to crack the newer version and root?

Upvote 0
Alrighty then. Word on the street is that I am SOL. Some more reseach showed me that I did manage to download a leak version(I believe Leak V2). Which I find pretty odd since it was in the first step of a how to root your phone guide(from a reputable site- I thought). So glad I spent this many hours trying to do this when I failed right during step 1. I'm not crying because it's the price you pay to do something a little outside of the norm, but on the other hand, it is pretty darn annoying. I want to get rid of a few issues that the newest version addresses, but they aren't serious though. I really just want to tighten the ship up by getting rid of a bunch of crap that I don't want or need on my phone, which is why I want to root. So wait a bit till someone figures out the older leak root or do it now and wait a bit longer for someone to crack the newer version and root?

the old leak is just that...old
the devs arent even going to bother looking at 2.1.1 or 2.1.2
and besides, 2.1.3 has a MASSIVE amount of bug fixes. its just about ready for release to the public.

so yes, of course do the 2.1.3. your already SOL when it comes to rooting, might as well get the most out of you phone the way it is.

Reactions: es0tericcha0s
Upvote 0
That's kind of what I figured. What a massive waste of time this turned out to be. All of the reading and research to end up pretty much at square one. On the other hand, at least I know it wasn't really me being too stupid to figure it out, it just was a mislabeled guide. *sigh* Thanks for your help guys(especially andrizoid). I feel confident that someone will be able to work around this minor problem soon enough. There is already so much that has been done with this phone in just the past month or 2. On a related side note: I posted something on Craigslist too about finding someone to help me in person. A guy responded and told me to skip 2.1 and get Bugless Beast. I haven't found anything saying this is even an option(on here, xda, or any other site), but he claims that it will work on any Android phone, even the G1. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Where exactly did you download the leak file from? grdlocks site? sendspace.com? grdlocks site had both the 2.1 v2 leak on the same page as the rooted leak that people use to begin root. I wish someone would take the leak version off that site because it seems new root users have accidentally downloaded this file instead. Granted it says that file will unroot your phone but newbies are probably so overloaded with information that this is an easy mistake.

Upvote 0
I honestly do not remember which site I started the process from. I am pretty sure it was from the unlockr though. I watched the video online from youtube and went to the site. But I don't have that file anymore so I can't go back to double check. All of the sites I looked at had the same info so it just started looking all the same. So I just have the newest leak version now and am going to play around with that as much as I can and just wait till someone gets to the next step. Still 100 times better than my last phone - Samsung Delve.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones