1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Feedback Plz! Migration App

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by cmtuggl, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cmtuggl

cmtuggl Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    Hi Everyone, first post in the forums, long time reader.

I'm working on an app that migrates contacts (and in the future other data) from different mobile operating systems. First release will include iOS, Android, and BlackBerry apps that will properly migrate your contacts from any of those OSes to your new phone.

What I need from you is feedback on the idea...for example:
    1) Would you use this app?
    2) What if we charged you per migration (i.e. $.99)? Before flaming, please consider that there are only a few other apps that import/export contact data and they charge up to a few $ on each platform. :)
    3) The primary purpose is to migrate user data when they switch phones, other ideas for features/use?

Advertisement

2. cmtuggl

cmtuggl Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    PS - You can check out screens and a sample video (on FAQ page) at intuvio.com :)

3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Welcome to the forums!

1) Personally, no. I'm happy with the Android OS and have no plans on leaving. But I can see why this app would be useful to others.

2) First of all, you should not have to worry about being flamed here on Android Forums. That type of behavior is not appreciated. If you ever do feel like you're being harassed, please use the !Report button at the left side of the offending post.

Second, I can't really say. If the way you're designing it is that you pay $1 on iOS to transfer your BB contacts to iOS. Then, you decide to go to Android, and buy the $1 Android app. That's fine. As long as if you decide Android isn't your thing and you transfer back to iOS, that should be no charge, as you already bought the iOS app.

3) While there are plenty of apps that do it already, if you're going to focus on contact swaping, make sure you can read/write contacts to SIM cards.

alostpacket likes this.
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    By data, I would of course assume that this means contacts, sms, calendar, notes and tasks.

No. For the following reasons:
    -My contacts, calendar, tasks and notes are in the cloud. Easy to transfer already to any OS, even Symbian and Windows.
    -I have backups in Outlook, so even if the servers crash, I still have them.
    -My data is syncing to two computers (home, personal laptop). So for me to lose data, that means both computers and Google servers must be lost.
    - Both data locations (Outlook and Google) already support data transferring to different OS. SMS would be the only thing I could see on your app that would be beneficial.

All the more reason not to use for me. You can transfer contact data between iPhone, Android and BB for free without even using any app.

-------------

Unless there is some other thing this app can do, I really don't see me using it. It may be useful for people who want to keep their stuff off the cloud, but then there are already free services than can do that. The only novelty I can see here that may get people to buy it is that the free off cloud services require using a computer as intermediary, while this one can be done phone to phone immediately after getting the unit. It's like a "cloudless" version of Google's data sync.

I would suggest making two versions of the apps: 1 ad supported, and a paid one with ads removed.

5. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    business owner
    SoCal
    I don't think this will be much of a money maker, given that the combination of Dropbox and JS Backup do the same thing (for free). However, there is something to be said for a single app that would do this.

6. cmtuggl

cmtuggl Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    Mr. Lucky - you're right that JS Backup does some of the same things as we're aiming for...but as far as I'm aware, it only does it for Android. Dropbox is on both but doesn't export contacts (as far as I've seen). The big thing about our app is that it does the appropriate data schema changes needed to transfer data to the "right places" on each platform. So instead of having to manually import everything it's literally a few clicks and everything is where it should be from one phone to the next -even if it's Android to iPhone or Blackberry to Android (or any combination thereof).

ChanChan - thanks for your feedback. I expect that techie users with the skills/experience you have are likely not the target audience for this app. I'm in the same boat as you though - if I can figure out how to do it free that's what I use. I think 'average' users are more the target audience (think iPhone users! :p). I'll do a bit more researching on ad supported apps per your suggestion.

Jerofld - Thanks for the reply and feedback. I think you fit into the same category as ChanChan and I where use is concerned. SIM cards is something I'll have to check on - thanks for the tip! As far as pricing, what we're thinking is per "Migration" which means you do an in-app purchase to migrate your contacts from one phone to another. The app itself would free.

7. sohguanh

sohguanh Android Enthusiast
    None

Just to feedback Android SDK does not provide an API to read/write to SIM card. But somehow they do provide to manufacturers as my Moto Defy have the Export to SIM card function but it is not available in my older Moto Milestone.

So in a way it is like Google does provide "special" API to manufacturers which are not available to third party app developers unless we use un-documented API.

For anyone curious, there are still a lot of ppl living in poor countries where internet connectivity is not always available and the SIM card transfer between the phones are still the norm like good old Nokia days.

I would feel Google should provide SIM card API in their next SDK iteration instead of luring users to turn to the "cloud".

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Storing the contacts to "phone" does not force them to cloud. In fact, "phone" storage does not sync to cloud. Plus SIM cards can't hold enough info. It can only hold one contact with one number. It can't hold emails and multiple numbers for one contact.

Phone storage could then be backed up to a PC, and transferred via that method.

In fact, you can use the Google Contacts on your phone without using internet.

And AFAIK there are apps that handle the SIM, so its fine.

9. cmtuggl

cmtuggl Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we released a version of Migration+ into the Google Play (Android Market) and on the Apple App Store.

If you want to checkout a demo:
    Part 1 (Export Contacts from iPhone)
    Part 2 (Import Contacts to Droid Charge)

Migration+ successfully moves contacts between the two with only a few clicks. If you have an iPhone and Android and would like to try it out, PM me and I'll give you a coupon for 2 free credits (redeemable on Android only). First 10 people only (unless you're really really convincing) :)