• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Feedback - Purest Android App Design?

wittzi

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Having switched from iOS to Android (if only I had switched earlier!) I quickly discovered that there were no decent UK Newspaper reader Apps (well, none that I could find).

Frustrated, I actually set about getting one developed and with the help of an awesome guy from Belgium (Dario Incalza) managed to get one completed and published in no time! The App allows you to view most UK newspapers and provides a high degree of customisation. Also, it allows you to read the article in the standard web view or we have implemented

Reactions: funkylogik
Just installed it mate. Is it wifi only?
EDIT sorry i found the setting :)
First impressions, i really like it. Id like a full screen mode though and ill definately pay to get rid of the ads.
I think keeping an app really simple and unbloated is fine but the google templet for how they want an app to be should just be used as a general guide.
Its a keeper though. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
I think keeping an app really simple and unbloated is fine but the google templet for how they want an app to be should just be used as a general guide.
Its a keeper though. Thanks :)

Thanks @funkylogik, this is precisely why I really like the Android community and the platform; everyone is there to help!

Do you mean you would like full screen when reading the articles, or throughout the whole App experience? This is absolutely something that we can add and will try and do so right away.

As for the Ads, I can help there as there is a pro version (for

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
This looks good, I have been using other similar apps but they essentially just bookmark the newspapers mobile website and then you browse stories on the mobile site.

The app is pretty simple but I actually like that about it as it focuses on the articles rather than anything else.

I might make the jump to the ad free version soon but I will see how it goes.

Just a couple of questions/issues:

When ads appear when reading the preview of an article the ad covers the button to launch the article

On the MSN feed you seem to have a typo "Tech and Gedget Features"

Overall great app though :)

Upvote 0
I like the app, I find I use it most days.

My only gripe (and it's a small one) is that once I've used the app, a new folder pops up in my gallery called 'RSS' (or something similar) with all the newspaper logos inside. I just delete the folder each time it happens, so it's not a major issue, but would be nice if there is something that can be done about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones