• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fellow Android Purists: Nexus 5 or Moto X?

egernant

Jun 30, 2010
I've been a huge proponent for the Nexus line during my time with the Gnex. Love just about everything about it. I've been looking forward to leaving Verizon for a true AOSP device from the Play Store, and that time is rapidly approaching.

When it comes to competing phones, most fall short for me: Can't stand Samsung UI and bloat, Motorola Verizon phones seem uninspired, and I'm just not sure I trust HTC to support their phones after a bad experience with the original Droid Inc. No desire for Sony or LG for the time being.

The one that has caught my eye, and likely many of yours, is the Moto X. I wrote it off at first given the lackluster specs and high on-contract price, but after letting the dust settle, it's the only thing that could keep me from the Nexus 5. I love the idea of the Active Notifications and the Always-On Google Now. The color customization is cool as well.

I've had the Nexus experience for 2 years now, and I'm afraid that it will feel stale as I long for these Moto-exclusive features.

Having said that, the Nexus 5 could very well end up dropping at $200 cheaper off-contract with similar if not better specs, not to mention KitKat. Definitely worry about buyer's remorse when new versions of Android come out if I don't go Nexus.

TL:DR - For those of you looking to upgrade, anyone trying to decide between the Nexus 5 and the Moto X? I'd love to hear your thoughts and rationale.

Well, my problem is that I have Verizon. Wait. That's only part of my problem. I have unlimited through Verizon, as does my wife...so if we leave VZW to have better phone selection, we lose unlimited. But, if we stay it looks highly unlikely that VZW will ever see another Nexus phone because....well, because they are ridiculous a-holes when it comes to both updates and device certifications.

But, to answer your question... if you can leave, get a Nexus 5 and go to T-Mobile. If the Nexus 5 is available straight from Google again at $349 or even $399 that is a no brainer and cheaper than a Moto X. If you can't, I think the Moto X might be the closest thing to a Nexus on VZW for quite some time.

Reactions: bellyofthefish
Upvote 0
I'd love to hear your thoughts and rationale.
The wonderful thing about waiting until November for the "true" release of the Moto X, is to see what the Nexus 5 looks like, prior to making my final decision. All said, I highly doubt the 5 will make it to VZW, so it may not even matter.

I'm a big fan of Nexus phones, but I've come to realize that it's not because they run vanilla Android, but more so the dev support when I inevitably root the device. Waiting until November will also give me a glimpse into the type of dev support the Moto X will receive, or perhaps we'll hear of something more interesting, by then.

Otherwise, the Moto X is amazing. I've long stopped caring about benchmarks, since the Droid days, and I've ran enough tests on my daily GNex to realize that about the only thing I'm missing is some RAM, a better battery, speakers, and radios. The Moto X satisfies all of these, while also creating a practical user experience, so for me, it's a no-brainer (as it stands, now).

Reactions: bellyofthefish
Upvote 0
I've ran enough tests on my daily GNex to realize that about the only thing I'm missing is some RAM, a better battery, speakers, and radios. The Moto X satisfies all of these, while also creating a practical user experience, so for me, it's a no-brainer (as it stands, now).

I never really though of it that way. you are right. the ONLY other thing i want is a better display. sharpness, it is fine (I'm OK with 720P) but that grainyness of the G-nex screen REALLY bothers me. all the moto X's i have seen in stores dont seem to show this, but getting one in hand for a few days might give me a different opinion.

I'm still holding out for the N5 though, and i seriously doubt there will be anything i DONT like about the phone.

Upvote 0
I played with a moto max last week and liked it. I felt the camera are even better then we are used to from Motorola. The part I don't like is Verizon. If there's large developer support for this phone then I can live with vanilla Roms and be happy. Chances are that's not going to happen. Verizon phone devs are so fragmented right now I would be surprised if we see more then a few Roms for any of Verizon's devices.
I have till 2014 to see how rootable/romable the moto phones are or if T-Mobile is a better fit.

Two things are certain. Verizon does not stand behind their devices. Once you buy you at at their mercy and secondly, if I leave Verizon I will never come back. I would rather have a dumb phone then pay Verizon for their data prices.

Upvote 0
I'm currently on Verizon, which probably won't get the Nexus 5. But I'm considering switching to T-Mobile (apparently, they have a $30 for 100 minutes talk, Unlimited text, First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds, for devices activated at T-mobile.com).

I would lose my VZW unlimited data but I'm not willing to buy an unlocked phone that is tied to them anyway because of their CDMA radios, and if I get a subsidized one, they could use that to cancel my unlimited data. So my choices are stick with my Galaxy Nexus, which I'm fine with, or switch to T-Mobile for the Nexus 5.

If anyone else is considering this, T-Mobile is currently selling their SIM cards for 99cents. The Nexus 5 is supposed to be a micro SIM, but for $2 I ordered both that and a nano SIM just in case. Even if I don't switch, it was just $2 so no big loss.

T-Mobile Prepaid SIM Kits are Only $0.99 Right Now With Free Shipping – Droid Life

Upvote 0
I just had to make the difficult decision of leaving my Verizon account to head to AT&T. I figured that if I am not paying for a subsidized phone to keep my unlimited account then I am just throwing money away as a subsidized phone is factored into an unlimited monthly payment. I have tracked my data usage over the past few months and with having home wifi and work wifi, it just makes sense to buy a Nexus 5 from Google and head to AT&T for a prepaid data package that offers unlimited talk and text with 2GB per month for $60. I will be saving money monthly and I will have the freedom to upgrade phones or move networks whenever I want. Maybe Verizon will change their mind but even when while I had the Galaxy Nexus, I still had to wait for updates while every other Galaxy Nexus already got them as soon as they came out. It just defeated the purpose.

Upvote 0
I was in the exact same boat, didn't want to pay for the new plans, but wanted the new nexus 5. Instead we paid full retail for a moto x and kept my unlimited. It ends up being not that much more than T-Mobile the and I don't have to worry about roaming. The few holes in Verizon's network don't seem to be a problem anymore with the Moto X, much better radios and antennas than the gnex.

The Moto X feels like a much improved Galaxy nexus. The battery life is great, camera is better and it's plenty fast. The size is much nicer than the nexus 5,imo.

Upvote 0
While I prefer the bigger screen of the Nexus 5, I would go with the moto X. I think its just the better all around phone. Plus, its getting KitKat. It's funny, at first I criticized the moto X for all the hype it got. But now I'm a believer. Its basically stock android with added features. Motorola hit a home run with this phone. Looking forward to see what they're doing for 2014.

Upvote 0
While I prefer the bigger screen of the Nexus 5, I would go with the moto X. I think its just the better all around phone. Plus, its getting KitKat. It's funny, at first I criticized the moto X for all the hype it got. But now I'm a believer. Its basically stock android with added features. Motorola hit a home run with this phone. Looking forward to see what they're doing for 2014.

I like everything about the Moto X except for the 720p screen and the slightly less than current CPU. Update these two technologies on the phone and I would be ready to buy.

Still on the "short list."

Upvote 0
I like everything about the Moto X except for the 720p screen and the slightly less than current CPU. Update these two technologies on the phone and I would be ready to buy.

Still on the "short list."

The only reason they did this is because this phone was mainly for software and pleasing the typical user, it wasn't supposed to be a power phone with all the high end specs that we see in flagship phones nowadays.

If they ever come out with another rendition of this device I feel like it's mostly going to be the same as the first, not top of the line specs, but top of the line features.

Upvote 0
The only reason they did this is because this phone was mainly for software and pleasing the typical user, it wasn't supposed to be a power phone with all the high end specs that we see in flagship phones nowadays.

If they ever come out with another rendition of this device I feel like it's mostly going to be the same as the first, not top of the line specs, but top of the line features.

I know this was the design goal and I think Motorola succeeded. I can accept the processor, heck my Nexus 7 2013 seems really smooth with a S600 CPU, however, I (my preference) want a 1080p screen. Really does help with my aging eyes.! :D

Upvote 0
I know this was the design goal and I think Motorola succeeded. I can accept the processor, heck my Nexus 7 2013 seems really smooth with a S600 CPU, however, I (my preference) want a 1080p screen. Really does help with my aging eyes.! :D

Back in my day, we had 320 x 480 and we LIKED it. And we had to root our phones BY HAND.

I kid. :p

Upvote 0

Yeah I feel ya, my Dad is pretty crazy about the size of the text I need to put on his phone nowadays.

And I hope Motorola sees the phone as a success because it should be viewed that way, I think it was pretty popular.

Upvote 0
I am literally holding an MX in my right hand and an N5 in my left and I'm hesitant to switch my SIM over to the N5 because I love my MX so much.

Then keep the MX man, I mean it's a great device, there were a lot of good features that were put into that device and I know that if I had it, it would be really hard for me to give it up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones