1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Few Basic Questions re Upgrading Roms in General

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by m4p, Apr 4, 2020.

1. m4p

m4p Newbie

I apologize but wasn't sure where to put this question. The phone is old LG Volt LS740 & didn't think people participated in those forums anymore. Anyway, I think my questions are more basic hopefully and can be answered. I am no expert. Anyway, back 5 years ago I installed a custom stock LG Rom and zv4 radio. My phone back then was version zv3. However once I rooted and installed the Rom and version 4 radio, my phone became zv4.

Everything was fine recently until it got stuck in CWM recovery. I managed to install TWRP over it and finally fixed the problem but had to go back to stock version zv3 and to re-root the phone. I now want to go back to to the Custom Stock Rom with zv4. I still have the custom stock rom and the version 4 radio. Before I use TWRP to get there, I looked at the Rom and notice in it is "recovery.img". Will that put CWM back on my phone, or will it leave TWRP the way it is? Should I delete the "recovery.img" from the zip file of the rom first?

I'm thinking if that is successful, I"d like to install either CM 12.1 for Volt with gapps, CM 13.0 for Volt with gapps or Lineage 14 for Volt with gapps. If I install any of these, will I have to upgrade the Volt's radio or is that built into the Rom?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

if it is just the stock custom rom, then no it will not revert back to CWM. i do not have your phone, but i never heard of flashing a custom rom that also installs recovery. installing recovery is an entirely separate process. but i could be wrong. i never have owned an lg phone.

just make sure to make a nandroid backup before you do anything else.

MrJavi and m4p like this.
  3. m4p

m4p Newbie

Thanks a lot for the reply, I really appreciate it. I will definitely make a nandroid backup in TWRP. TWRP is so much better (and a lot easier for me) than CWM was on this phone. It is a stock rom and that's why when I unzipped it because I was curious what was in it, it had the recovery.img, and was it going to put CWM recovery back on the phone. I wonder if I should delete it and then rezip it, but I don't want to screw things up. I actually saved the original instructions for the phone and there was a separate recovery.img that was CWM that you used Flashify to flash on the phone. Then in CWM you installed the rom zip. I just don't know why they would include the recovery.img in the rom since CWM was already flashed to the phone. I do also have a newer stock rom and that one has recovery.img in there too so maybe I"ll just leave it in and cross my fingers.

Anyway, thanks a bunch!

MrJavi likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

recovery.img is just a file name. it has nothing to do with cwm. i would not worry about it unless it says to do so in the guide to the rom you have. is this rom a custom rom? or a firmware update?

MrJavi likes this.