• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Few questions about smart phones

Helios747

Lurker
Feb 10, 2011
Hello,

I'm going to be buying a smartphone running Android within the next month. This is my first smart phone, and a few questions have come up due to what I want to do with the phone.

First off, I have no desire to buy a data plan for it, since most Android phones I've seen have wifi chips built in, everywhere I would want internet on it, a wifi network is usually around.

I have T-Mobile right now and a Nokia XpressMusic. They're a GSM sim card using network, would I simply be able to buy the phone from wherever I can that doesn't force a plan on me, slap in my SIM card, configure it for wifi, and be on my way?

Additionally, since I won't have a data plan, just calling and texting, would I be able to download apps through the wifi connection that I will configure? Could I also download apps from my laptop and install them manually via USB to the phone?

Last question, T-Mobile has that MyFaves setup, where I can call and text 5 people of my choosing for free. If I got a T-Mobile branded phone that advertised that feature, would I still be able to use it with a transplanted SIM card?

Any insight to this would be helpful.

No idea about the buying bit. In Asia you can just walk into any electronic shop and buy a phone off the shelf. However, from what I have learnt you can't do this in the US.

As for apps, yes, you can download apps off wifi. But generally, you can't download apps from your laptop and install them manually. Android does allow side loading of application (that's how you describe the process of downloading apps on your computer and then installing it on your phone), but there are no official ways to download those files.

Upvote 0
TMobile does have some plans like that. You can only get them from a store or maybe customer service. They are called Even More Plus. I have the postpaid one.
If you buy a TM phone outright you are not required to have data. I do have it, but mostly use my wifi. I've got 2 unlocked European phones.
The problem is the bands on some of the phones. TM uses the 1700/2100 (I think) band for 3G. Your phone will work, but only 2G or Edge for data. Phone calls are not affected. Wifi is much faster.

There was too much confusion with the Even More plans. They are cheaper as the phone subsidy is either taken out or billed differently. Too many people saw the cheaper rates, then raised h*** because they couldn't get a subsidized phone. That is why you would need to talk to a human.
TM dropped "MY FAVES" last year. If you have it, it's grandfathered. You can DL and install apps over wifi.

Upvote 0
As for apps, yes, you can download apps off wifi. But generally, you can't download apps from your laptop and install them manually. Android does allow side loading of application (that's how you describe the process of downloading apps on your computer and then installing it on your phone), but there are no official ways to download those files.

I use HtcSync to install app from my pc to my phone, and android seems ok with it. I think if you dig into the settings you find something about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones