• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Few Questions About the Nexus 5

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2011
Illinois
So I've had the Nexus 5 for about 2 weeks and so far I'm definitely loving it. I've had about a billion Android phones and finally found one that only has minor gripes, but I do have a couple of questions about it.

1) Hotmail doesn't push, especially when on Wi-Fi. I've got my Hotmail set up to push, but I usually get most of my emails a good 20-30 minutes late. Is this a bug or is this something I can fix by changing some settings? Any advice? I'm using the stock email app.

2) The alarm clock icon in the notification bar goes away on its own even when an alarm is set. Does everyone's do that? I've noticed that it does that when I'm using the stock alarm or Timely. It also appears to disappear the most when my service changes from LTE to 3G or something else. It usually comes back on its own when I return to LTE. The stock alarm icon doesn't come back until I open the clock app again, but Timely seems to come back more often on its own. I'm not sure what exactly is causing it internally, but there's definitely some tie-in to service.

I've read somewhere that Pandora may be the cause, but I've cleared the Cache and deleted it and it still seems to be a problem. It's not the end of the world, but it's still an annoying problem, nonetheless.

3) I stay on Wi-Fi at home. Today, as I was leaving for work, my wife called me. When I got out of Wi-Fi service, my phone lost all connection and hung up on her. I've never noticed this before, but is this an issue I should be contacting Google about?

Thanks!

1) Hotmail doesn't push, especially when on Wi-Fi. I've got my Hotmail set up to push, but I usually get most of my emails a good 20-30 minutes late. Is this a bug or is this something I can fix by changing some settings? Any advice? I'm using the stock email app.
Are you getting your emails by manually syncing? If not, it's push - it's just that some services like Hotmail can be incredibly slow.

3) I stay on Wi-Fi at home. Today, as I was leaving for work, my wife called me. When I got out of Wi-Fi service, my phone lost all connection and hung up on her. I've never noticed this before, but is this an issue I should be contacting Google about?
I would. Auto-hangup-on-wife isn't slated to come out until the N6. (Seriously, it's not supposed to happen, so I would.)

Upvote 0
Are you getting your emails by manually syncing? If not, it's push - it's just that some services like Hotmail can be incredibly slow.

I would. Auto-hangup-on-wife isn't slated to come out until the N6. (Seriously, it's not supposed to happen, so I would.)

I am getting them when I manually sync. It just seems like sometimes the pushed ones are 20+ minutes late. I never had this issue when I had a Moto X on Verizon.

And I'll keep an eye on that. We're actually going out of town tomorrow for a week so I won't have a chance to RMA, but if it keeps this up I'll have to call them when I get back to see what we can do about it. One freak occurrence, and I'll be ok. If it keeps completely losing signal when leaving wi-fi, and I'll have some issues that Google will have to explain!

Thanks for your reply!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones