1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Few questions (First time android user)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by caked1393, Jan 1, 2012.

1. caked1393

caked1393 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    hey guys! im a first time android user..
    i just want to ask about rooting.. what exactly does it do and how do i do it?

im running a pretty cheap android 2.3.5 phone
    This

is it possible to root this phone? and how?
    oh and i recently downloaded GoSMS Pro.. how do i change my default messaging app to GoSMS? theres like a little button on my homescreen for messaging how do i change that to GoSMS?

Advertisement

2. tsm

tsm Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2011
    Rooting allows you to mess with super user files (kinda like and admin in windows), and has some other perks as well, enabling wifi hotspotting increasing cpu speed and density on screen ect. ect. HOWEVER i am currently sitting here witha driod that cant even call anyone that i just got on the 25th cause i thought i knew what i was doing...not only that duoble check ur contract and warrenty to make sure rooting dose not void anything. id recomend at least 10 hours of reserch about rooting and rooted apps (i use google and howardfourms and this fourm) before u actually do it tho. as for a specific root for ur phone...they are everywhere just gotta look around...but i do believe if u dont like reserch and looking around for stuff u have the wrong phone...

3. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

Rooting is TYPICALLY done for two reasons:

Blocking Ads and using "root apps" like Titanium Backup (backing up apps AND data) or drocap (taking screenshots).

IMHO? Blocking ads is the most important thing to me.

4. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    Or removing bloatware.

5. mamawm

mamawm Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    first off, let's talk about the sms question. on most 2.3.?? devices, you can long press on the sms icon and will be given the option to change it. just select change and then it will take you to your apps list where you can select go sms. or as an alternative long press on the home screen and a menu will pop up, choose shortcuts, then applications, then go sms.

as for rooting, please, please get to know your device and all that it can do first. then read, and reread all you can find on rooting your device. it is not something that should be jumped into without a great deal of research. many of the newer phones are so good out of the box that rooting doesn't really improve the experience like it did on the ones from a few years ago.

6. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

Ya, forgot about that ... ICS has spoiled me ...

7. AndroidAdvntge

None

Dec 29, 2011
    I am so envious of you. :(