• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Few Questions (New Android User)

MercenaryFH

Feb 12, 2011
I just got my first smartphone today (a droid 2 global)

So far I love it: but a few questions:

Has anyone had problems with the keyboard becoming "loose" after pulling it in and out, I love the keyboard but this worries me.

Also whats the build quality like on Droids in general? I always worry about dead pixels but that seems like a thing of the past.

Any specific quirks I should Know about?
Any Recommended MUST have Android Apps....., is there a way to use global 2 as a music player?....is that even possible.
ALSO how the hell do you uninstall your apps that you dont want (like blockbuster or amazon music for instance) the easy uninstaller doesn't work......and I can't find anything else

Whats the best app to listen to music? I have Verizon....do I just like Transfer Songs to my Phone......or what

Also if I want to watch movies on my tiny screen what do I use?

ALSO anyone with Droid 2 Global know how to get rid of the preinstalled apps?
thanks

Whats the best app to listen to music?
There should be an app called Music on your phone already.

do I just like Transfer Songs to my Phone
Connect phone to computer via usb cable, select Mount or Disk Drive mode on the phone, then create a folder called Music on the SD card, and transfer the songs to there.

Also if I want to watch movies on my tiny screen what do I use?
There should be an app called Videos on your phone. You will need to convert videos to mp4 container with an h264 baseline codec, at whatever resolution your screen is. You can also download Rock Player, which should be able to play most other formats without converting.

I've had no issues with the keyboard. My favorite apps are Car Dock V2 and Car Dock Settings, both by the same company, to replace the built in car dock and automate some of the things you do when in the car. Another favorite is Pandora for music. You cannot uninstall the built-in apps, and some of them cannot even be turned off (they will restart).

Upvote 0
If you root, you can use Titanium Backup to freeze those apps. You don't want to remove them completely because they HAVE to be there for you to get any future OTA updates from VZW. If you freeze them, they don't run and are essentially not there.

The only real MUST have app is SetCPU. I use it to keep my cpu at 600MHz when the screen is off, as well as several other profiles based on temperature and battery level, it extends the battery. Oh, buy an extended battery, you'll want it. Check out droidforums.net, there's a much better/more active D2G subforum.

Upvote 0
Do you think it's "too" hot AKA damage the phone hot.

From my understanding this phone does not have a temp sensor (at least we the default kernal) so all the sensors I see are battery sensors.....

I don't believe that the amount of heat that is being generated will do damage to the phone. You can hold your finger on it and not get burned, thought that's not really a test. Anyway, a 1.2GHz processor is going to get hot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones