1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Few questions since JB

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pbf98, Apr 16, 2013.

1. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    I have had JB for a few weeks now and I have some questions about things I have noticed with it.

In google now there are cards as you know, and for some reason google says I have added teams to my favorite sports teams (which i never have) and I am constantly getting updates about baseball games being played by a team i don't care about ( and i'm not that into baseball in the first place). So I click the settings icon on the card and it asks me if I want to follow the team, and then i click no and swype the card away. I go back to now a few minutes later to check weather and whats there? the same card about the team i don't care about.
    I have also gone into the add teams menu and removed the teams there I don't want and I still get updates. Any ideas or anyone else experience this?

Next is an expected JB feature I was looking forward too but doesn't seem to be on here. The feature I am talking about is the one where you can drag an app on the home screens and it will move apps out of the way so you don't have to drag on drop and drag and drop constantly to move things around how you want them. Did they take this out of our version for some reason or what?

And one last thing that I was expecting with the update, an integrated google search on every home screen, is there any way to get that? I hate the free floating google search bar and I was looking forward to having the search bar on every page so I could just tap the search uptop from any home screen.

I am running the stock JB update, and I wiped everything after the update to make sure I wouldn't run into any issues coming from ICS

Can anyone offer assistance or advice on any of my topics in here?
    Thanks to all!

Advertisement

2. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    Another problem found, not entirely sure if it is related to JB or not.. My aux output (headphone jack) does not work anymore. I plug something into it and it doesn't switch from speaker to headphones.
    I could have swore that I have used it since I upgraded to JB but can't guarantee that I did.
    Has anyone had this happen to them? Is there a quick fix, should I bring it into the verizon store and have them look at it?
    Thanks

3. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    pbf98 when you open google now, if you go to settings, sports, and hold onto the team and it will ask you to remove it just do that.

the google search on every home screen is only applicable to the stock launcher, you need to uninstall your launcher to go back to stock and then your google search will be there.

also when you move an icon over top of another you can put them in that folder, the only way to actually move whats on your homescreen is if it is a widget.

the headphone jack doesnt seem to be a jb related issue. that can normally be hardware, or the connectors inside have something blocking the connection.

4. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    Thanks for your response

the above mentioned method is what i attempted but had no success, i wish i knew what I did last night because I have not received a notification from any teams yet.

I have everything stock on my phone, stock sms, stock launcher, stock dialer etc.. but I do not see the google on every screen. Or is there one that motorola has that you are referring to?

and I must have misread / heard that apps moved as well, but even now when i try getting widgets to move for each other they stay in place.

And it shouldn't be compatibility issues due to os conflicts because i did a complete wipe when i installed JB

As far as I can see the jack is completely cleared, nothing obstructing the connectors. And still nothing happens when i plug headphones in.

Thanks again for your response.

5. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I think this started with ICS. It is allowing you to create a group by moving one icon to another. A group is created contain both icons. The solution for you is to move the first icon to where you want it and then move the second icon to its old location.

... Thom

6. TriciaH

TriciaH Member
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    Central Texas
    I use the magnifying glass button to use Google search from any screen. I don't use the floating bar either. When I tap that button, I get the keyboard and the search bar. Can talk or type.

On your jack, look to see if something is stuck down there. Not uncommon to find a piece of lint or something down in there that is preventing the jack from seating.

7. pbf98

pbf98 Android Expert
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    Male
    .NET Developer
    MN
    I think one of my question kinda got lost in the topic. I know how to group items, and I know how to move them, but a feature in JB is supposed to allow you to drag widgets onto the screen and the apps move out of its way, or the widget resizes itself as shown here: (at 47 seconds)

this video also shows many things I have not seen a way to do in JB on the razr. I can't like or share images that someone has posted.. So again I ask, did motorola disable some of these features?

Update on headphone jack:
    There was a small amount of lint at the very bottom that was compacted by having multiple plugs forced down on it.

8. juanito157

juanito157 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    Currently Unemployed ;(
    Chi-Town
    Since JB I've got serious search lag! When I hit the search key..it opens the stock browser which I like... I type what I'm looking for in the address bar hit search and I wait 30-45 seconds before anything pops up...once the initial 1st search is completed and the browser remains open its as quick as always ...but still this sucks!! I've always been a frequent user of holding down the search key and then by voice say for example "Dial blockbuster video" and bam! It quickly searched the internet and started dialing the correct # but this lag is frustrating me ...Anyone else? Thank you in advance

9. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    it is a possibility it could be VZW's network, while great when it wants to be, it can be the most horrific thing out there.

10. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Android Expert
    None

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida
    Have you cleared the cache on your browser?

11. juanito157

juanito157 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 9, 2009
    Currently Unemployed ;(
    Chi-Town
    Its not Verizon..it does it on Wi-Fi too.
    And yes I have cleared my cache

12. VoidedSaint

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    have you tried wifi?

i have some issues with having to wait on Google's main page to load, and that was also with my GNex.