1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Few questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Liamalone, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

G'day all :)

I've had my Desire for nearly two months now, been browsing forums here for about a month and will probably go down the scary rooting avenue soon - took onboard a snippet of advice from here,....., get to know my phone first!

Few other thing to clear up first if possible:

I only used the camera for the first time last week - shocking quality, horizontal lines noticeable on all pictures no matter what settings used :( Only thread I have seen was in regard to the poor lens cover, I took pictures with backplate off and issue is still there. Any ideas?

I installed widgetzoid and chose a bit where it displays RAM ..... seems to be around 120MB normally but has went sub 100 a few times and phone operated slowly compared to normal, not doing a lot just on a chatbox on t'internet. Is around the 120MB about normal? Can I do anything to improve this?

Now for a wee bit of pre rooting info if You please :) I am on the network '3' in Norn Ireland, is my phone branded? No sign of 3 on start up or elsewhere leads me to think no but need to be sure for ruu procurement.

That'll do for starters lol

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Unsure about 1.

2, I dont use a sense rom, so not sure whats normal for you. I never go below 100MB though. Usually sitting between 140-120MB, but on a reboot will be 180-160MB (I think)

3. go to settings > about phone.

What is your software number?

If it is x.xx.405.x it is unbranded.

The latest version is 2.29.405.5

Liamalone likes this.
  3. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert

Are they bands across the photo? If so, it might be the Flicker adjustment setting in the camera menu. Try changing it from Auto to 60Hz or 50Hz if in Europe.
    Yes it's normal. The Desire doesn't have a lot of memory for storing apps in the phone. From a factory reset you have about 130MB of memory depending on initial configuration, and as you add apps it eats into that memory space. If you have Android Froyo v2.2 you can move some of the data for apps to the SD card and free up some space.
    I don't know if it's branded or not, but it likely is since you bought it from a carrier. But some carriers don't add or change much on the phone. My Telus Canada branded phone had EDGE/2G data disabled since they don't have a GSM network, and had a couple of apps and bookmarks related to Telus and their network. Aside from the lack of 2G data, it was fairly generic. And as SUroot said, the firmware version will show x.x.405.x.x for all unbranded versions. If it's branded, the "405" and the rest of the string will be different for each carrier.

Liamalone likes this.
  4. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Super stuff :) I was hoping that Yourself or one of the other leading lights would give me some input!

The RAM issue has only surfaced when on that particular chatbox I mentioned, lowest I've seen was 94. Normally would be in the ballpark you mentioned and has been as high as 180, so that's fine I suppose.

Software version is 2.29.405.5 so it's unbranded, does this mean I can forget about this gold card melarkey? I just take a Nandroid backup before flashing?

Since my original post I've been chatting to a mate who is also with '3' and he has a network logo splash screen and software is 2.27.xxx.x ...... find that strange lol

Many thanks amigo :)

5. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert

Yup, unbranded means no gold card needed. Debranded means it was branded, but debranded to generic version and a gold card IS needed.
    You may have been lucky to get one that came directly from HTC.

Did you get the photo issue resolved?

Liamalone likes this.
  6. SUroot

Bfsk, he said RAM, not internal memory.

What's your RAM like?

7. bfksc

bfksc Android Expert

Oops...missed that.
    :eek:
    Let's see, Android is reporting this in Running Services when the phone is mostly idle:

Other: 64MB in 4
    Avail: 83MB + 198MB in 31

Not really sure what that means exactly, but it's mostly green so I figure it means my RAM is mostly free? I don't bother running apps to monitor all this stuff...if it works fine, I let it do it and leave it alone.
    :D

8. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Yes, bands noticeable across the picture. Unfortunately the Flicker adjustment had no effect, still noticeable on all 3 settings :( Cheers for suggestion though :)

Now, if I root the phone thru the unrevoked method, is the only backup I require through the clockworkmod recovery bit? As in, no backup necessary before rooting? Just need an ruu for my UK handset in case I need to return to stock??

** found answer from SUroot in another thread :) An applicable ruu is needed

9. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Right, rooting complete .... I think!

The ninja is in my app drawer, when I select hime a blank black screen appears with 'Superuser permissions at the top, menu button brings up 'preferences' ...... is this the norm?

10. SUroot

Yes, it lists applications with root access there and their status, but if you havent got any root apps, it wont show anything until you run it and are prompted to allow root access.

Liamalone likes this.
  11. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

:) Jeez, was easy in the end up! Just the thought of problems was freaking Me out lol

Thanks SUroot, I used Your guide in the 'All things root' section and found it really helpful. I will take heed of Your advice and Root one day, Custom Rom another .... leave that a few days. Just in process of doing My first Nandroid backup at the mo to familiarise Myself with that bit.

Cheers

12. SUroot

And backup, backup, backup ;)

13. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Right, gonna take the plunge and flash an app2sd+ ROM - Going to go with the 1st one in this link .. [ROM][16/02]iNsertCoin HD/Z Port 1.9.1 /1.8h 720p REC|STABLE|FAST|1.84/1.72 Base - xda-developers

Any issues to be wary of with the 1st option, the DHD one, is it suitable?

I've taken a Nandroid backup, also a Titanium backup, copied my phone numbers to pc, and made a copy if SD card. Also made a cd of Gparted and familiarised myself with that bit.

So, I now download the ROM,
    partition SD card,
    place zip of ROM onto SD card,
    flash using ClockworkMod,
    restore Nandroid backup.

anything else?

Thx

14. SUroot

If you restore a nandroid you will wipe the rom and put your old one back on, if you have backed the old one up...

Liamalone likes this.
  15. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Oooops, I meant Titanium back up for apps etc. Good shout!! lol

16. SUroot

Wipe before flashing too, and dont forget to backup SD card before partitioning!

17. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

All done, I think .....

I didn't wipe (is this factory reset style?) before flashing, thought I read somewhere that it wasn't 100% necessary - if phone wouldn't boot after flashing, wipe and redo flashing. Phone has booted no problems. Should I redo the process after a wipe?

First thing I see is that widgets are gone (expected) but whatever few apps I had downloaded are still there, as is my phone numbers and messages are still there - I thought these would all be lost?

Only other thing is the apps contained in the ROM, I didn't think there would be so many and facebook is back grrrrrrr (I deleted this thru the Android adb thingy) ..... so, how do I remove some before flashing? unzip ROM, remove, and rezip????

Cheers

**edit: when restoring copy of SD card, do I replace the files present from ROM? or do I just paste the ones not present

18. SUroot

Copy them all back to SD>

If you didnt wipe, all your apps, data and settings will still be present.

However, be aware that some settings are not compatible between different roms. If you do have any issues, wipe but you may be ok.

In regards to apps, use winrar on the PC.

Open the zip (NOT UNZIP) and navigate to /system/app There you can delete all sorts. Then just reflash

Liamalone likes this.
  19. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Right, will redo later after a factory reset/wipe thru ClockworkMod - contacts process keeps crashing already and unable to view phonebook so that's enough of an issue to redo :)

As for the zip part, understood - normally just use winrar for unzipping but I know what You're talking about.

Many thanks, You do the internet proud amigo :)

20. SUroot

hahah. Thanks.

If you have a Titanium backup, restore just missing apps with data.

If your contacts are not google contacts and you want sms and call logs, I use mybackup pro.

Comes with 30 day free trial.

21. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Ok, have the InsertCoin 1.8h running now, all restored - it seems to me that the phone is really unresponsive now, got a 2sec delay before whatever action I've done is carried out ...... any ideas? I had 1.9x running earlier and bar a few conflicts due to non-wiping of data it ran smoothly and fast as stock rom.

On a sidenote, any other good Roms? the InsertCoin one has no '2G only' option in network settings, just '2G/

22. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Woke up today and phone been running fine :) Don't know what the issue was but it was well past bedtime so a good night's sleep sorted it lol

All said and done, a good ROM but a few things are not to my liking, minor things but going to try Leedroid now.

Problem is, I can't get into recovery with InsertCoin - phone off, hold vol - and turn on doesn't work :(

tried the search function thing thniking this might be normal but to no avail ....... am I missing something, is there a different way to do it on this ROM? or is there an issue?

23. Liamalone

Liamalone Member

Panic over, found answer with a tad more searching:

You can't go into recovery because when you power off phone from menu it goes to hibernation. Pull out ur battery, put in back and vol - key + power on => hboot