• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Few Questions

Got my desire today and have a few questions.

1. In the notification bar I keep on seeing arrows light up under a letter h. I know its similar for 3g. What is this and is it using up my data?

2. How can I lengthen the time between the times it checks for new emails.

3. When using god(for navigation) will I use 3g.

(auto correct. God is gps.)

Thanks in advance.

Got my desire today and have a few questions.

1. In the notification bar I keep on seeing arrows light up under a letter h. I know its similar for 3g. What is this and is it using up my data?

2. How can I lengthen the time between the times it checks for new emails.

3. When using god(for navigation) will I use 3g.

(auto correct. God is gps.)

Thanks in advance.

"H" is HDPA or HSDPA or something like that, think of it as 3.5G, faster than 3G. The arrows show data sent and received.

Email check frequency depends of the email client you use. Open the client, press MENU, then choose SETTINGS or PREFERENCES. There should be a settings that lets you select the time period between email checks, probably somewhere in the email receive settings.

Reactions: TheAndroidUser
Upvote 0
"H" is HDPA or HSDPA or something like that, think of it as 3.5G, faster than 3G. The arrows show data sent and received.

Email check frequency depends of the email client you use. Open the client, press MENU, then choose SETTINGS or PREFERENCES. There should be a settings that lets you select the time period between email checks, probably somewhere in the email receive settings.

Cant't find anything like that in gmail or YMail. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Ok , so just a couple more questions :

1. When I use GPS am I using 3g (For e.g Google Navigation)?

2. When and how does skype update when using 3g?

3. If I'm creating my own wireless network (is it called tethering?) does it use any 3g if no ones connected to it?

3b. When someones connected to my wireless network does it use the same amount of 3g as if I was doing what they were doing?

Thanks again in advance.

Upvote 0
Ok , so just a couple more questions :

1. When I use GPS am I using 3g (For e.g Google Navigation)?

GPS is different to 3G. You can turn on GPS and it won't do anything unless you use an app that needs to know your location, and you have told the phone to use GPS satellites for location data, like Google Maps. GPS uses battery, not data, and it only becomes active when an app requests it. You will use 3G to download map data using navigation, but if you have Android 2.2 and above you can plan your route at home using WiFi and the pmap data will be stored on your SD card, minimising data use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones