1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Few quick questions about rooting with Revolutionary

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mattbirk, Sep 19, 2011.

1. mattbirk

mattbirk Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    ISP/Run local businesses networks
    Chicago, IL
    1. Once I root with Revolutionary, can I make a Nandroid?

2. Say GB official comes out, and I am rooted...what do I do to go back stock and get the official update?

3. Revolutionary doesn't delete any of my data, correct? BUT if I want a custom ROM, then it does...right?

4. Can I use ROM Manager to download/install custom ROMs?

I have been thinking forever about rooting this, I had my D1 rooted, and even had custom ROMs on my WinMo phones...don't know why I have held out so long on the TB...

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    1. Once you have a custom recovery installed you will be able to make a nandroid.

2. Yes you could restore to stock or you could install the stock rooted rom once it is available which should be around the same time as the update, I would suggest going with the rom as the update will not be much different than the stock phone is currently.

3. Correct, and correct kinda, while you should wipe your data between rom flashes you can use a tool like titanium backup to backup all you user data before a wipe then restore it on the new rom. So yes your data will be deleted when flashing a rom but given you take the right steps it can be restored with minimal effort.

4. Yes, but I would advise you to learn how to flash without using a crutch like ROM manager. It is just an app and you can easily download roms from the web and install them on your own with less trouble. Pros for using rom manager: Anyone can do it with very little knowledge. Pros for manually downloading and flashing roms: You know the correct partitions are wiped prior to flashing, you can verify the rom before you flash, if you get stuck in a bootloop for some reason you will not be forced to learn how to use your recovery.

If you have any further questions please ask.

scotty85 and mattbirk like this.
  3. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Awesome, I got too impatient and am now rooted...will start playing, and looking at Titanium Backup.

Thanks for the tips!

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    No problem. Glad to see you made the jump :) if you can the paid version of titanium is a must. Also I think root explorer is available on the amazon market now for $0.99 which is a good deal, I tend to use root explorer a lot for different things.

5. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Downloaded Titanium Backup pro, but cannot find it anywhere on my phone, even after reboot. I find it in the Market and all I see is a Refund button. I don't see it in my app drawer. Also, under My Apps in Marketplace it shows up, but again when I click on it there is no Open button, only Refund...any ideas?

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    You need to download the free version a well. The pro version is just a key to unlock the batch feature in the free version.

7. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Ahh, thanks. I uninstalled Free version when you said the PRO is better...installed and running TP Pro now...thanks.

What ROM are you currently running?

EDIT: And how again do I make a nandroid...in ROM Manager?

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I don't use ROM manager at all. You can make a nandroid in recovery by selecting the backup/restore menu.

Currently I am running Liquid, but will likely flash BlackAOSP once the dev fixes a bug in the most recent version.

9. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    I have been reading a bunch of the All Things Root section, what exactly is AOSP...and the alternatives?

Is battery life improved? Lately I have left my LTE turned off for more battery :(

I did do my nandroid in ROM Manager, but how to I get to recovery? Power button + volume down? I cannot remember.

EDIT: Titanium Backup, how do I know what to backup and what not to backup? Do I have to go through each individual thing under Backup/Restore to back it up? I just don't exqactly know what to do and to skip...

10. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project. If you had a D1 then you should be familiar with AOSP. The stock Thunderbolt has Sense on top of android, so you can flash either sense roms or AOSP roms in general Sense roms are larger than AOSP roms and because of more stuff running they consume more battery (still battery life should be better than stock) AOSP will give you an interface much more like the D1 without any of the Sense overlay.

To get in recovery on the TB hold volume up and power. That will take you to hboot and then use volume down to select recovery then press the power button. You need to make sure you do not have a file on the root of your SD card named "PG05IMG.zip" or you will not be able to get in recovery, so if you have it delete it;)

mattbirk likes this.
  11. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    If I do a Backup all user apps + system data, that will be everything I need before I put on a custom ROM?

What is and is not backed up?
    Texts?
    Photos?(I assume these are on SD card)
    Contacts are done via Google, yes?
    App and App data?

12. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Do not backup system data just user apps. You will lose texts, your call log, settings, wifi access points, ect.

If you do a backup/restore with system data you will be asking for trouble. There are differences in system apps between every rom and restoring the system data can cause force close after force close and will give you a bad experience for the rom.

You will not lose anything that is on the SD card.

13. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    ok thanks a bunch! and the backup is stored on my sd card then, and not a server?

14. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    It should be, a backup is quite big (400+ MB) if the phone were to try to upload it to a server every time you made a backup it would eat up data like crazy.

15. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    sorry for all the questions...

what is Dalvik cache? also, I want to wipe data and cache before flashing?

soo close!

16. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Dalvik is the virtual machine that runs within Android. Dalvik cache is the cache for the apk files and should be cleared before a rom flash.

You will want to wipe Data and cache, then under advanced you need to wipe dalvik cache. If you boot up and start getting force close after force close then you should go back to recovery and wipe /system under mounts and storage. If you want you can include that in your original wipes but it is not always needed.

17. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, thank you. I have successfully flashed Liquid...it's way faster than stock! Nothing has Force Closed on me as of yet, battery seems fine, can't tell how much better/worse it is than stock yet, and I am still using 3g only. I will try tomorrow with it on LTE.

Any other recommendations...my musts are: STABLE, then fast/light weight

I know there is not one ROM that is the best, it is all preference. But best to me is STABLE.

Thanks again for the mini walk through, leaves me wondering why I didn't do this in March.

18. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    I like Liquid's roms, I also like droid theory's roms, I will be flashing the new version of BlackAOSP tonight. There really don't seem to be many roms out there that aren't stable perhaps the MIUI rom isn't but it is labled a work in progress.

If you decide to flash any droid theory rom he suggests that you wipe /system as he uses a mix of 2 AOSP base roms, I echo this. You may also want to try different kernels for better battery life. Seems most people have the best battery life with IMO's 3.5.8 but feel free to try out several to see what fits you best.

19. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Do you get that BlackAOSP here: Thr3adTh3ory The Official Th3ory Rom List - xda-developers

BLACKAO5P
    A hybrid th3ory rom of aosp/cm7
    Current version- 2.0 personal
    Link to thread- you can only get it here or in your th3ory store
    Download- BlackOut

Is that the one you are talking about on XDA?

20. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    mattbirk likes this.
  21. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
  22. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    No problem. DT makes great roms or at least I think so, because he uses the hybrid AOSP base you may need to wipe system to have everything running smooth (or you may not I know my phone needs me to when I go to a DT rom)

23. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    I know you aren't a fan of ROM manager...BUT say I download the Black AOSP from above and put it on my SD card, I should...in theory...be able to install in ROM Manager, since there is an option to install from SD.

Also, do I need to leave it zipped? Man, I feel like I am learning this stuff back from the beginning and it's only been like 6 months!

Where can I buy you a beer...I owe ya!

EDIT: Just read your post elsewhere..."Don't use rom manager. Boot into recovery manually and be sure to do a factory reset, format /system, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache. Rom manager is an app that can mess up and give you problems."

So I leave the ROM zipped on SD, after I boot into recovery and do all the wipes, I am assuming I will have an option to load the ROM there...

24. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Yeah leave the rom zipped. Rom manager tends to download slower than using the direct links provided by the dev also roms are easier to find in your download folder ;)

25. mattbirk

None

Nov 22, 2010
    Male
    Chicago, IL
    Ok...I hope someone besides me gets good use from this thread for dummies!

1. I downloaded Black ASOP to SD card
    2. I boot to recovery, and do a factory reset
    3. Once phone is booted, format system, wipe cache, and dalvik cache
    3. ? I have the ROM on my SD card, do I need a PC for this part? Or do I just open the ROM on the phone...this is where I am confused.

I currently have Liquid ROM and Clockwork Mod Recovery 5.0.2.1...don't know if this matters.

I am probably forgetting something...I do not have a data cable at the moment, hopefully I can do it all through the device itself.

THANKS!