• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fight Chromebook and win

Rgarner

Android Expert
May 9, 2017
Yeah, that's what it is. My brand new (refurbished) "computer" is actually a Chromebook, probably the least useful such device ever. I guess there's still a little hope. I'm thinking I could plug in this vastly superior (well, maybe) A02s and copy No Root Firewall to the horrible thing and possibly protect myself against googoo and more. I want to get Linux and Calibre. I want to add an external hard disk drive (not solid state) of at least 1 t. Any reasonable advice will be accepted.

Long before I got sick, I bought an Acer Chromebook. Everyone here knows I only use Linux. I wanted to see what this small, lightweight, inexpensive Chromebook could do. So....

As I recall, I used it for a day or two--and it drove me CRAZY. I couldn't stand Google's idea of Linux on it. I didn't want to be limited to using and storing everything 'in the cloud'--I wanted to use my regular programs, like SeaMonkey and the GIMP, and store my data locally. Luckily, I'd had the foresight to order it with a large hard drive. :)

Back then, it took a bit of hacking but I installed *real* Linux on it, my usual, preferred distro, Kubuntu. From that moment forward it was a *GREAT* little computer! Fast as can be, actually usable by installing all of my regular programs, and storing its data on its hard drive and/or on my network drives. No more cloud nonsense for me. It lived outside on my patio so I didn't have to bother taking a laptop outside every day.

I haven't fired up the Acer in years now, but I can't say enough about how wonderful it was--AFTER losing its factory-installed setup. I read some time ago that Chromebooks now include an option to install your own Linux on them. I can't speak to that at all, I have no idea if that gets rid of the original or lives alongside it or what. I did mine by brute force and got what I wanted: a real Linux laptop, usable just like all of my other computers with no silly limitations. You might want to check your settings to see if you can find this 'install Linux' option. It should be there...somewhere.

Upvote 0
I was just referring to the photos @ #12 on your previous thread.
The stickers look very like those used on the pre-owned tech stores we have here, CEX, but there wasn't enough info to search the model.

herehttps://androidforums.com/threads/another-day-another-lie.1344033/#post-8086017

Attachments

• 20221007_130502.jpg
    20221007_130502.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I only had one of those Chromebooks before it got confined to the storage bin. It never had Play Store and never ran Android apps.

I recently turned it on and see what it'd still do, and it got the new updated UI and all (which looks like complete crap) but it still doesn't know what an APK is and there's still no Play Store. It has Chrome Web Store (which I thought they EOL'd) and it works, but that's it. It having 'forced' updates are what confined it to storage, and being extremely limited, and too slow on Ubuntu to be useable.

If they run Android now or can run the apps for it, it's news to me.

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
Hey, hey, I said reasonable. That ain't happening. They're probably not quite as bad as Amazon, though. I haven't checked out their "dream" (nightmare) house, but I bet the FBI and CIA are drowning it in drool. Even a roomba can be used to spy, it seems, reporting on floor plan, square footage, and the like. I thought those evil freaks hadn't acquired the company yet, but I might be wrong. There is one possible cure for at least some of it, and that is: don't be lazy. If you can vacuum, do the dishes, change the radio station yourself, you probably should. Most people don't get enough exercise and there's a certain satisfaction in doing physical work, not to mention the money saved on needless overpriced gadgets that break too easily anyway.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
so this is a very basic chromebook. it sells for $59.99 at Walmart so this is no trailblazer as far as computers go. i would only use this for browsing the net and maybe some music or streaming. its not worth using it to play games or anything like that. you should be able to get calibre on it though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-...VDzGKiD0XacdU_BzZNxoCUggQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for the link. I just read its specs and you're absolutely right, this is a bare-bones Chromebook--it has 4GB of RAM and a 16GB drive. *IF* a person is happy doing everything in Google's cloud, it may [or may not] actually be useful. But for someone who wants local apps, local storage--and plenty of it, this is not going to cut it.

@Rgarner can you return it? I know you're not looking for a high-end laptop, but I just got an amazing deal on an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet--that can be turned into a laptop by attaching a physical keyboard. Maybe you could consider something like that, or look elsewhere for a Chromebook with better specs. Take a look at my initial post in this thread as a reminder of what a Chromebook *can* do if treated properly! And mine is old, it's from way before they had a built-in method of installing your own choice of Linux, so I'm sure its specs aren't great by today's standards but it worked really well.

Upvote 0
Ha ha, I'm sure it's not worth any penny. Seriously, is there a way to bypass googoo? Maybe I could use somebody else's account (with permission of course) just long enough to get to Linux or something that way and be able to make it just a little bit usable. PLEASE let there be.

Upvote 0
Ha ha, I'm sure it's not worth any penny. Seriously, is there a way to bypass googoo? Maybe I could use somebody else's account (with permission of course) just long enough to get to Linux or something that way and be able to make it just a little bit usable. PLEASE let there be.
just create a new bogus google account. no need to use anybody else's.

Upvote 0
That sounds good, but won't they be able to tell if it's using the same ip address? I really want to lose them as much as possible. I don't want their crap wasting space on MY device.
it will be the same as using someone else's info as you asked in your previous post. plus i do not think they use ip addresses for anything. but if you fear that then just use a vpn.

Upvote 0
That sounds good, but won't they be able to tell if it's using the same ip address? I really want to lose them as much as possible. I don't want their crap wasting space on MY device.
Keep in mind that I've done *no* research on this, okay? I only know that, as I said earlier, some time ago I read that Chromebooks now have the built-in option to install your own Linux, rather than doing it by brute force like I did. Do as @ocnbrze suggested if you're REALLY that concerned about keeping Google out of your new computer, make a dummy account, use it, fire up the Chromebook, look for the 'install Linux' feature that should be there, and see where it leads. Since I know nothing about it, I cannot tell you how successful this would be as far as what you're hoping to accomplish. It may very well keep the factory-installed version of Chrome (the OS) on it while *adding* your Linux alongside it--kind of like a dual-boot computer, with two or more different OSes--or if it will *eliminate* Chrome altogether. I doubt the latter VERY much, but I can't speak with any conviction because I just don't know.

When I installed real Linux on my Chromebook, it had nothing to do with Google after that. It was just another one of my Linux computers, connected to my Wi-Fi network but perfectly capable of running all my apps offline. The way Chromebooks expect users to use them is by *always* being online--if you're not able to talk to the cloud, you're not able to run anything or save anything or access any files/photos/etc. That's not for me!! So mine ended up working exactly like all my other computers, with nothing but programs I installed myself, on its hard drive, and did not have to talk to any cloud in order to use programs or save/access files.

If I were you, I'd start looking for information on how to do this. As I've said, I did mine by brute force--but I also know HOW to do things like that by brute force. I grew up at a UNIX command line. I'm not the least bit queasy about mucking around in an OS's guts. YMMV. You could very well end up borking your Chromebook to the point of being unbootable/unusable. But even if you did that, there should be a way to recover the original setup and start over.

Reactions: Rgarner and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones