1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

fight: EVO 3D vs Photon vs SG II

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by dan330, Jul 16, 2011.

1. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    Sprint is bring the heat! good for us.
    but... decisions decisions decisions :thinking:

htc evo 3d is out.. and there are some mixed reviews .. not a home-run.

Motarola photon... might be out by end of july; totally locked down bootloader???

samsung gs II ... might be out in a few weeks; any similiar issues like the SG1?

so... of these.. which will....
    1. will win market share?
    2. have the best dev support?
    3. best overall phone?

I am leaning towards htc... but i have to give the other 2 some considerations. what are your thoughts?

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I think the Samsung will be a hit. I personally ordered the HTC Evo 3D because I love my Evo 4G and I love HTC phones.

I'm not sure how well the Photon will do. It's a nice enough phone, but like you I really hate the Motorola attitude towards encrypted bootloaders...

marctronixx likes this.
  3. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    yeah.. to me .. dev support is number 1 must have.

with moto.. if it is locked down like the others... no matter how great the phone is.. it DOA for me.

now.. has samsung really changed their ways.. and have better support? better GPS?

4. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I agree, I'm a big fan of my Samsung Epic, not so much of my Samsung Moment.

I really wanted to wait for the Galaxy S2, but I grew tired of waiting and decided on the Evo 3D.

One of the important criteria of any product is availability, and sadly the Samsung GS2 is lacking this, even any info on it. :(

5. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    It's hands down e3d for me... I'll probably never buy another samsung phone because of the issues I had with my moment and epic. HTC has been good to me and I loved my evo. So far I love my e3d even more.

Until something better comes along I'll stick with htc.

6. rambo47

rambo47 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    Denville, NJ.
    I'm skeptical of Samsung's support. How long did those of us with Epics have to wait for updates? There were two or three updates for the HTC Evo 4G before the Epic got one. Good hardware though!

I'm no fan of Motoblur, but the Photon looks like a real winner, at least spec wise. And by all accounts so far the intrusiveness of Motoblur has been attenuated to a large degree. It's "less sucky" than with other phones.

My biggest concern is for battery life. I'm eager to see how the Photon does in the real world as far as battery life.

7. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    i'm thinking SGS2 will be the winner all around. it's a beast and devs will love it. sammy is getting better with software. as they have to keep up because of the nexus s, so devs can port releases from the nexus s over to SGS2, if necessary.

8. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    excuse me? nexus S is a Galaxy S1 not 2.

software on the nexus lines are maintained by google.

devs will love it? how do you know?
    i do know that a lot of devs have moved to e3d

9. NOMster

NOMster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    GA
    Excuse me but the nexus s is not a galaxy phone at all. It is a Google phone.

And the cm team was shipped a gs2 to get cracking. They already have it running on their tests models and Samsung sent them so I'm pretty sure Sammy is on board with the idea of letting developers work on the phone.

ScandaLeX and BenChase7 like this.
  10. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    time will tell.... how well dev community adopt it.

11. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Aspiring Rapper/Producer
    Houston, TX
    If all of them were running CM7, The Within would definitely come out on top. (if it actually comes with Exynos) Plus the Super Amoled+ makes it a clear winner.

12. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I've had my Evo 3D for a couple of days and I am truly blown away by it.

On the other hand, Samsung has continued to annoy me. I am recently affected by a texting bug on the Samsung Epic (see Sprint Community: 9230 : Message sent using invalid... ) this bug was reported by users as early as late last year and beginning of this year. It is STILL not resolved. Samsung users are left high and dry.

With my Evo 3D, it came installed with the latest firmware update, and then I got a second set of updates OTA after using it for a few hours. HTC's support for their phones are second to NONE!!

I always defended the Epic because it's such a great phone, but Samsung's lack of support to address critical bugs really turns me off.

Based on these things I am sticking to HTC. There is NO excuse for Samsung to be so notoriously poor with their support, especially with critical bugs that makes the phone unusable... And Motorola...customer unfriendly policies turn me away, no contest.

rambo47, ovrrdrive and dan330 like this.
  13. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2011
    Male
    Stay at home Dad
    Arizona, USA
  14. Skrillex

Skrillex Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Problem is the release date for the sgs2 is nothing but rumors... so is the photon for that matter. Could be months before the sgs2 is available.

15. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
  16. rambo47

rambo47 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 26, 2010
    Denville, NJ.
    Battery life is what's going to really capture my attention. After some time with the Evo the short battery life has become a real sore spot. My next Android flirtation (I'm still a BlackBerry user at heart) will be based largely on battery life as all three of these devices are more than capable.

17. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 5, 2010

This is my number 1 concern a well. I am hesitant to buy another Htc because I find the battery life on their smartphones subpar. It's either galaxy or photon for me. Whichever one gives the better battery life I will keep.

18. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    HTC Evo 3D battery life has been spectactular. Having used Samsung products I can't say that Samsung's has a much better battery life. No brand really has a leg up on another in terms of battery life. They can't ignore the laws of physics. You need a larger battery, and the Evo 3D has one of the largest batteries around.

19. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    but samsung screen tech.. should give it an advantage over LCD ... concerning battery life.

20. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana
    Wish I could agree with you on that. My battery life has been absolutely horrible. Granted When I am at work I get zero service, so if I just leave my phone in my pocket on it is dead in less than 8 hours of no use. Even though my mom's EVO Shift gets like 1 bar there and her phone isn't dead at the end of the day.

I have taken my wife's EVO 3D to work and have the same problem with it. So I know why it is dying so fast because it is always searching for data, I just don't understand why my mom's Shift doesn't have the same problems as the EVO 3D.

In terms of overall battery life besides me being at work this is my top phones on Android or ios I have owned with battery life.

iphone 4, Droid X, Samsung Fascinate, EVO 3D, Incredible, Droid Eris, G1, and then the Thunderbolt.

So I guess it isn't horrible battery life on the 3D, but still sucks while being at work.

21. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Sorry to hear that. If you have terrible signal at work, I don't think any phone can overcome that.

With my Evo 4G, running CM7, My battery lasts ~12 hours. With my Evo 3D, my battery lasts 18 - 24 hours or more. I am comparing apples to apples since I have the same signal coverage, same apps, etc, and the battery life is truly amazing.

Your poor battery life is attributable to the signal issue, not the phone itself. I wouldn't use that as a data point to say anything about the Evo 3D battery life in this case.

22. Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    If you have no signal at work or have no intention of using it at work, turning it off or switching it to "Airplane mode" would be the smartest solution. It stops your phone from wasting battery from it searching deperately for a signal in a perpetual dead zone. You could also close stuff through task manager to he decrease the used ram/CPU in use.

I would recommend the HTC EVO 3d. But I haven't seen any of the other two phones yet, sooo

23. zombdroid

zombdroid Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Search for Brains
    Raccoon City
    I have the Photon, traded for a 3d. My previous 4 phones have been Htc, but the battery life and signal made me wish I never bought it, not to mention random reboots. The Photon is a solid, fast phone.

Not interested in Samsung phones after my last one.

24. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Information Systems Analyst
    Nashville, TN
    I've had my EVO 3D since 6/23 and have not regretted my decision for a moment. It is fast, responsive, and has excellent reception. Just this past weekend I took it and my NS4G out of town to a family reunion at Standing Stone State Park, which is out in the boonies. My EVO 3D had both phone and 3G service. The NS4G had phone service only. Of course, that was still better than our AT & T family members, who had no service at all. I realize that to compare the NS4G with the EVO 3D is slightly OT here but the point is that Samsung devices have the reputation for having weaker radios. I never noticed that before because I am usually in good to excellent coverage areas. I like the NS4G a lot otherwise (Google Wallet is pretty handy and it is nice getting all the updates) but am disappointed that it did not have 3G service and my EVO 3D did. If anyone is interested, I posted pictures in the poll thread in the EVO 3D section.

Bottom line, I will decide for myself instead of relying on the so-called pro reviewers when making a choice. The reviewers basically rated the EVO 3D as garbage based on the supposed 3D gimmick when in fact my real world experience completely contradicts their conclusions.

25. psychotron

None

May 1, 2010
    Had the 3D for a few months and bought the ET4G. I find it far superior to the 3D. Its faster, thinner, lighter, speakerphone and earpiece volume are a ton louder and better, bigger and better screen, better camera on the front and back...the only thing better on the 3D is the wifi signal, thats it.