• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Figure out how which apps are hogging CPU time.

System panel is on MARKET, what i like about it its easy to read, understand, and use. when you open the App it list the Apps in two categories... inactive and inactive Apps, just check the CPU in the active list Apps. You'll also see the list of inactive Apps which shows NO CPU usage.

Don't forget to kill the System Panel App when your done, why leave it running.

You should be to set your sync time to a time period, sync doesn't take long for me since i don't use the weather widget and turned off weather sync. Right now my syncing is ACTIVE but only using 3 CPU... no big deal.

Messages uses a lot.. approx. 30-40 CPU.

What's good about killing high usage apps, when you go to use GPS, watch TV moves, Satellite radio/FM tuner, DVD, freeing up memory/CPU allowing smoother running of the App you need at a particular time to run strong by itself.

Try it for yourself, if you don't like, trash the System Panel app, but when you start opening apps going from texting, emails, camera, video, maps, GPS, internet, bluetooth, and then decide to listen to Satellite radio, just open System Panel, killer those big hungry Apps by choice, and then, turn on Satellite radio.

Your system/phone for the most part runs smoother after a reboot, why... if you look at the System Panel after you turn on your phone you'll notice the CPU's are ZEROS, then check it again after 8 hours/evening and look at your active Apps and CPU usage.

Also, if you can and don't need stored messages, delete the thread.... lets say friends/associates threads which may contain 100, 200, 300 messages... delete them. I had a few friends that i accumulated approx 200 messages in their respect thread, i deleted them and checked my CPU in a Active Message App, it went from 30-40 CPU's to 3 CPU's, i did leave a few messages/threads in the App that i need for my records for the time being, but it did drop the CPU after deleting useless threads.

Please don't take my word for it, run your own test and see the results base on your phone and usage/habits.

I don't really understand what you are saying here, it shows the size in MB of what the app is using. For CPU it shows how many seconds the app has used the CPU for, therefor when you reboot it can't possibly be more than a few seconds. I don't understand what you mean my 30-40 CPU's?? unless I am looking at the app wrong...
If you click on an app in the "Current Usage" Section it shows "Total CPU time" which will match what you see next to "CPU:" on the main screen.

Upvote 0
Gonna check out SystemPanel later.

On a sidenote, I discovered something interesting while driving up the 5 from Los Angeles. My phone was plugged into the car charger since the start of the drive, it was at 60%. 3 hours later, it was down to 50%. I had Google Maps nav and music player running, as well as a number of other apps I usually have running as well. I still can't believe that the phone was drawing more power than was being restored.
There was a good thread on the xda incredible forums on this. Apparently if the phone gets hot it wont charge there by draining the battery. Also depending on what charger you were using if it could not supply enough amperage I think 1A is the number then you'll end up down after running maps and music.

As fast as spare parts goes its pretty cool it stores show some more detail than system panel assess far as percentages used per app.

Either way I still find our weird that we cant have the phone off charger for 9 hours with out it dieing with a stock battery.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
You are contradicting yourself in this thread. You are not a fan of an app killer, yet thats EXACTLY what youre using system panel for. There is NO NEED to kill anything regardless of the cpu, unless its staying like that the entire time (which 99% of the cases it is not). Android will close it down for you if it REALLY needs that cpu power somewhere else, and obviously it doesn't which is why that one high cpu app is doing just fine.

Heya, Woop! How goes it, pal? I gotta say - I agree with you 100% about having no need to kill anything regardless of the CPU usage. I downloaded ATK and used it for about a week before I downloaded SystemPanel. I then uninstalled ATK as I didn't like the fact that ATK constantly "pings" the CPU - to see what apps are running, I presume. I find that while I am not a fan of ATK, but I DO use the "End Task" feature on SystemPanel to put an end to apps that do not have their own "Quit" feature. I hope that makes sense - not trying to contradict myself here!

For example, Pandora has a designated "Quit" button, whereas Rhapsody does not. It's therefore left to run in the background and slowly chew up CPU (until something else needs the CPU, I assume), thus leading to unnecessary battery drain. Correct me if I am wrong, please. So, basically, with SystemPanel, I do like that I have the ability to put an end to tasks/apps that I cannot turn off otherwise.

Upvote 0
Gonna check out SystemPanel later.

On a sidenote, I discovered something interesting while driving up the 5 from Los Angeles. My phone was plugged into the car charger since the start of the drive, it was at 60%. 3 hours later, it was down to 50%. I had Google Maps nav and music player running, as well as a number of other apps I usually have running as well. I still can't believe that the phone was drawing more power than was being restored.

I had this happen with an aftermarket charger. The phone draws more power than some aftermarket chargers can provide. I bought 1000mA chargers and it hasn't happened again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones