• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Figured out why Froyo killed my bettery life.

I noticed today that Froyo re-enabled "auto sign in" in Gtalk.
I unchecked it, problem solved.

If you're getting bad battery life after the update, make sure Gtalk is NOT auto signing you in. That's one of the biggest battery hogs.

Just figured I'd post this to let everyone know a potential problem.
--
And yes, I misspelled battery. Let's bring on the grammatical comments!

Just FYI - I did that after I updated to Froyo Monday night. Noticed my battery was draining significantly today. First thing I checked was Talk. I was signed in again. Yes - I did sign out last time. So not sure what is up with that, auto sign is is disabled. I signed out again and signed out.

I did so many different things to get the most out of my battery I can't really say what one or 2 (or 3 or 10 :) things finally did it for me, but I know this helps for sure.

Upvote 0

If you're getting bad battery life after the update, make sure Gtalk is NOT auto signing you in. That's one of the biggest battery hogs.

--

I actually use Gtalk regularly (also when I was on 2.1) and never really attributed it to battery drain. Glad it fixed your problem though.

Upvote 0
I noticed the last 2 days my battery was draining WAY too fast. I usually got thru the day at work and get home at about 30% but the last 2 days I was nearly drained. Today (after nearly 16 hours), I am at 25%.....

kinda noticed the same thing. Today seems to be doing pretty good vice the days right after the update. I've also followed all the advice mentioned in this thread so far.

I don't use a task killer. Trusting Android

Upvote 0
I've also had HORRIBLE battery life after this update, worse than the very first week. With the 1.47 update, that dramatically helped my battery. I could go 2 days with light usage before charging. Now, with froyo, I made a 5 minute phone call today, sent 5 texts, and checked email a couple times, and i'm almost dead after less than 10 hours. This is ridiculous, something with this update is killing the battery.

Upvote 0

also go into sprint zone and turn off all the automatic updates there is a ton of them.

good tip. thank you!!

Reactions: takirb
Upvote 0
I had an app (not sure which one yet) that was causing my phone to stay awake all the time (awake time and up time were the same). Uninstalled a dozen apps and did a power reset (pwr off, battery remove) and that fixed the problem. I'm slowly re-installing the apps I removed to see if the problem recurs. So far it hasn't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones