• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

File association problem

ericpode

Feb 1, 2012
I have a DTT recording gadget that records to USB memory stick as MPEG transport stream (MTS) files.

I can plug the USB stick into my Tesco Hudl and MX Player will play these files OK.

Unfortunately, for long recordings the DTT recorder splits the recording into a series of files 512MB in size and gives them sequential filenames like this:

some_filename.MTS
some_filename.MTS1
some_filename.MTS2

and so on. "some_filename" is different for each recording. The sequential naming convention is fixed and can not be changed.

The MTS1 and MTS2 files are not identified as video files, but they do play OK if I use ES File Explorer to change their filename to have a .MTS filename extension. But renaming each file before I can play the whole recording is a bit of a nuisance, so I associated .MTS1 and .MTS2 files with MX player and now I can play any of the MTS1/MTS2/MTS3/etc files one at a time. But they still seem not to be identified as video files - ES File Explorer still displays a "?" next to the filename, and the "loop all" option in MX player ignores them.

I think there may be another association or setting somewhere that will identify these files as video files.

What I'd like to do is just plug the USB stick into my tablet and start playing the MTS file in MX Player so that the "loop all" feature will carry on playing the MTS1, MTS2, MTS3 files in order automatically. I can then sit back and watch the whole recording without having to do anything.

Any ideas what else I need to change to get this to work?

Or is there a better way of getting the required result?

File associations are totally literal - mts1 and mts2 are totally different file types. You'd need a video player specifically written to scan for <same name>.<sequential MTS#> files. (For example, mybirthday.mp3 and mybirthday.mp4 aren't the 3rd and 4th parts of a "mybirthday" file.)

I think the solution is more in the direction of setting the recorder to not split the files. Or finding a saner recorder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones