• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root File Attachmnts Unreadable Binary Files

jrsea

Lurker
Oct 2, 2014
I am finding it increasingly difficult to champion Android v. Apple because of the number of very annoying glitches that seem to be creeping in. I have a Galaxy S2 phone Android 4.1.2 Chrome 37.0.2062.117; an Acer Iconia B1-A71 tablet Android 4.1.2 Chrome 36.0.1985.135; an ASUS Transformer Prime TF201 tablet Android 4.1.1 Chrome 37.0.2062.117. 2 0r 3 months back, I was trying to open a mail attachment, which should have been an xls spreadsheet, but my phone downloaded as a binary (.BIN) file, and would not open (indeed, I think it said the download was unsuccessful). I had never previously had problems. I used the browser which came with the phone, and had no problem. I sent myself another spreadsheet, and tested on my tablets, and using Chrome, the Acer Iconia opened the spreadsheet OK, but the S2 phone, and Asus Transformer both downloaded as an unreadable binary file. The common factor is the later version of Chrome (37......),
Does anyone else have this problem? Is it likely to get fixed? Would it be fixed with a later version of Android (which I assume I will not be getting anytime soon, so no use to me)?
Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

later version of Androisd
just use chrome version that works, no dependency with OS ver.

there are tons of super browsers for Android. I have tried:
Maxthon; UC Browser; Dolphin; Opera; Firefox
a lot of them have
- user-agent switchable (I NEED normal desktop-version sites!)
- downloads folder selectable

so chrome is good for streaming media & troubleless youtube (I hate the app, prefer the site). give a chance to alternatives, don't stick with big G company:D

my experience: Samsung Galaxy Express 2 - OS 4.4.2 official (no custom c...)
chrome tried both pre-installed with KK v33 and updated v37.0.2062.117 - no issues, d/l .xls attachment from my mail, when clicked link save it asked me what app to use, selected Chrome, when d/l finished, opened smoothly with OfiiceSuite v7 Pro.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I want to use Chrome because it has my bookmarks. Because of the ludicrous limit of 2Gb for Apps on Galaxy S2 (and I'm too mean to upgrade my phone to get round this - yet - and when I do, I won't be choosing Samsung!), I don't want to download another browser. So I guess I need to work ut how to go back to Chrome version 36..... And I don't understand why the Acer hasn't 'upgraded' to Chrome 37.
I've got other Android (I thin) issues I'll be rising if I can't find answers hear.
I don't want to do it, but my next phone may be an iphone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones