• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps File hosting

rick99gtp

Aug 6, 2010
When my app starts, it checks to see if it has a database in the proper directory...if not (first time running the app) it will download from the internet.

I've heard different opinions about where to host the file needed...some suggest simply using a website hosting service. Others suggest using a file sharing website...but, those seem a bit shady.

How do others do it?

Thanks.

From a completely unbiased opinion (seemingly unlike the above poster), You will obviously need an http server with a sql server. Most ISPs have a clause in their ToS that prevents people on a personal service plan to host their own servers of any kind. If you have a commercial service plan, then this clause usually does not exist. Because of this, if you are a normal, everyday hobbyist, you likely do not have a commercial plan and require some sort of remote hosting. There are many sites that provide this, but which one you choose all depends on what you need and how much you are willing to pay. A lot of people choose GoDaddy, simply because it's famouse, then quickly realize that it disallows many popular features of a web server. Personally, I use a service called Bluehost for all of my web server needs. They offer unlimited storage for $60/year, as well as domain names for ~$10-15/year depending on the name. On top of the relatively inexpensive price and unlimited storage, their CS is absolutely amazing. Since Bluehost only offers unlimited storage as an option, it really isn't recommended for people who just need a few gigs, as you can find it much cheaper elsewhere. Just do some looking around and see what best suits your needs and your wallet. Using your own nose is the best way to sniff out web servers because everyone's opinion is circumstantial. If you only listen to everyone else, then you won't get anywhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones