1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support file manager use?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mattjamesmello, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mattjamesmello

None

Sep 13, 2011
    hello, i am pretty new to android, and also forums in general, so excuse me if im posting in the wrong spot or anything. i have experience using ios' "ifile", where i could navigate through my jailbroken ipod touches files and edit pretty much anything i wanted to without fail. one of my favorite things to do was edit the "slide to unlock" text to change it to whatever i wanted. now i have my htc thunderbolt and i downloaded "file manager", which i figured was the same thing as ifile. ive been navigating through it but i cant find any strings or anything where i can edit the "drag down to unlock" text, which i would really like to do. does anyone have any tips for me?

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    You can use a program called widget locker to customize that part of your lockscreen. Also without rooting you will be limited on what you can edit within the system files and you may not even be able to view some areas.

3. cookie_monster

cookie_monster Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    IOWA

Couldnt he do a ninjamorph and then play from there?

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG

It has been a long time since I tried to use Metamorph or ninjamorph, I am rarely on a rom long enough to really put much effort into it when I have so much else I can tweak, but yeah he may be able to.

cookie_monster likes this.
  5. Mattjamesmello

None

Sep 13, 2011
    im sorry i know i probably sound like an idiot... but whats a rom? i know what a rom for a game is to play on an emulator but ive never heard of a rom for a device

6. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    a ROM for an android phone is a completely new system with tweaks from the developer.
    they usually get rid of the bloat, change icons, change colors, have a different kernel which can be overclocked, customized apps, and other tweaks to optimize the performance of the system.

7. Mattjamesmello

None

Sep 13, 2011
    and im imagining you have to root to install roms. so as a newer user to android, and not to much of a hacker/ modder, should i even attempt to hack? all ive heard so far is "do not root unless you really know what youre doing".

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    With the current rooting method it is really easy. There is a sticky in the All things root area with links to everything and a rundown of what you would need to do. Rooting is a good way to get to know android better. We have an active root community here and there are plenty of other places for resources as well.

Yes you do have to be rooted to install a rom. Just like a video game rom a phone rom is basically a system dump that has been zipped and signed so you can install it using the linux base that android is built on. If you are somewhat tech savvy or willing to actually pay attention to what you read in threads you should be able to use the tools available to root no problem.

Link to rooting method thread http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/402115-thunderbolt-rooting-methods-updated.html

Mattjamesmello likes this.