• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

file manager

ram100987

Sep 26, 2008
I think we really need a file manager for the g1 so that we have a single app to access all the file on the internal or sd memory instead of going to each apropriate program for the files wanting access to.

Secondly, what are the requirement for files on the sd card? Do they all have to be jumbled together in the root directory or can the be organized into folders and still be found by the programs?

Well, I was able to install it last night. It's very rudimentary, and doesn't even let you send a .html file to the web browser (which might be the web browser's fault, as I have yet to find a way to make the web browser open "file:" based URLs, either). But it at least let me actually browse the file hierarchy.

(The name of the app, for those who might look for it, is/was "Android File Manager", by "nylinda.com"; I still see it on the G1's view of the Market, but I don't see if it I go to http://market.android.com ... but, then, what's on that page is the "showcase", so it doesn't appear to me to be "every android market application")

It says it's a 1.0.1 app, but I think it's more like a 0.7 app. Even if it isn't able to pass files off to other programs, it still has rough edges in its own capabilities (you can't just click a directory to open it, you must hold it down, and then select "open" from the menu). It has a lot of promise, and it's already somewhat useful, but ... it's not what I'd call a finished 1.0 app. It's more like a beta, IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones