• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help File system/file size max

Sublimation

Jul 13, 2010
Does the X use a FAT32 file system? Is there any way to change this? I'm asking because I have a 4+GB mkv file I want to put on it, but I'm getting a message telling me its too large for the file system. If no way to change, then can anyone suggest a way to make this file small enough to fit?

Android won't play any video files larger than 2GB, you need to make sure your files are 2GB or less.

And to answer your other question, quality loss is inherent with compression, but I doubt you'll even notice it since the Droid X's display isn't exactly a 50" 1080p LCD :D I would try to handbrake the file down to 854x480 if it's high res. I got a 3 hour movie to under 2GB with handbrake, so unless you're trying to get some mega-long movie on there handbrake should do the trick.

Options:

1) Use handbrake to convert the file to a lower resolution and bitrate and hope it's under 2GB after that
2) Split the MKV files into two or more pieces How to Split MKV Files | eHow.com

Upvote 0
You could format the SD card as Ext2/3 and it'd probably work. You'd need to install an Ext2/3 volume manager for Windows though. A trick might be to format the card as a harddrive then add a partition to the end that's FAT16/32 with the necessary files to access the larger Ext2/3 partition from Windows or Mac.

As for Matroska, be sure to check to see that the DroidX can play the type of file you're trying to use. The stock build lacks libmatroska so it can't open MKVs, subtitle support is lacking, and until TCMP is released there aren't any particularly good 3rd party options. (Rock Player theoretically works with a bit more, but it choked with everything I threw at it, either it didn't open the file or had far too many artifacts to be watchable... Fairly routine stuff too, I don't see why this is so difficult.)

Upvote 0
You could format the SD card as Ext2/3 and it'd probably work. You'd need to install an Ext2/3 volume manager for Windows though. A trick might be to format the card as a harddrive then add a partition to the end that's FAT16/32 with the necessary files to access the larger Ext2/3 partition from Windows or Mac.

That sounds like a lot of work when he can just split the files up or compress them.

As for Matroska, be sure to check to see that the DroidX can play the type of file you're trying to use. The stock build lacks libmatroska so it can't open MKVs, subtitle support is lacking, and until TCMP is released there aren't any particularly good 3rd party options. (Rock Player theoretically works with a bit more, but it choked with everything I threw at it, either it didn't open the file or had far too many artifacts to be watchable... Fairly routine stuff too, I don't see why this is so difficult.)

Actually now I'm not sure if it'll play MKVs or not.. When I handbrake stuff for my Droid X I use the MP4 format.

Upvote 0
All great suggestions if I were intending to play the file on my X. Thanks for the help. I'm actually trying to use the SD card as an emergency method of transporting this file since I don't have my external HDDs or a usb flash drive available. I am formatting the SD card as NTFS, moving the file and then going to reformat as FAT32 and replace my files once I complete the move.

Upvote 0
All great suggestions if I were intending to play the file on my X. Thanks for the help. I'm actually trying to use the SD card as an emergency method of transporting this file since I don't have my external HDDs or a usb flash drive available. I am formatting the SD card as NTFS, moving the file and then going to reformat as FAT32 and replace my files once I complete the move.

Then just split the file into 2 parts that are under 4GB, and you shouldn't have a problem. And you should pick up a Flash drive to keep on your keyring, never know when you might need on! I have an 8GB USB drive on mine, just in case.

Upvote 0
That sounds like a lot of work when he can just split the files up or compress them.

I don't know, compressing a compressed file doesn't do what you might expect (hint: it gets larger), and reencoding takes a long time. Splitting the file would work, but it's time consuming ("copy /B" especially), and the process is equally long for every single file you copy.

Reformatting can be done with a single command (mke2fs) on the Droid X, and should complete in seconds. The repartitioning can also be done on the X (fdisk) and takes equally little time. AFAIK, you could also use the X in PC Mode and not worry about filesystems, but that mode seems to be slow with transferring files. (I'm seriously tempted to do this just for the benefits of using a more modern FS.)

OTOH, if you aren't a Linux guy, then it's probably easier to go with a hack and curse Microsoft for being a pain with filesystems (Ext2/3 ought to be supported in Windows, and NTFS should have open specs so you aren't gambling with your data when mounting it RW in Linux).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones