• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help File transfer on CM9?

mrspeedmaster

Android Expert
May 16, 2010
I can't transfer w. Alpha 2.

--USB mass storage doesn't work.
-- MTP & PTP doesn't work.
The Android File Transfer app that works w/ my Galaxy Nexus doesn't work for the touchpad.

I have to reboot into webOS to copy movies. Wifi transfer (using samba and other apps) is too slow.

On CM9 alpha 0.6 and alpha 1 I've used an app called "Software Data Cable". Haven't used it since upgrading to alpha2, but I assume it still works.

It basically sets up a simple FTP server so then you just use whatever FTP program you enjoy (or, at least in Windows, you can just use Explorer or IE):
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.lyy.softdatacable

I had an issue transferring via USB to my Transformer so I started using that app. Came in handy for not having to boot into WebOS to put CM9a2 on there.

Upvote 0
Just noticed that you said wifi is too slow. That's how I use the Software Data Cable app and it seems pretty speedy to me. But I think I'm connecting via 802.11n (at least I was on the WebOS side) and my computer is right next to the wireless router, so that's usually where I am when I'm transferring files.

Upvote 0
Have you tried the media device option. I am not sure if this will give you access to the root directory but basically go to storage in the settings menu go to the little menu on the upper right and click the first option which is connect to computer and after select connect as media device. This let's me access the ad card and any downloads I have grabbed off the net.

Upvote 0
Well I know this might be slightly off base here and a bit old but I thought I would give a little contribution since I solved similar problem with my touchpad and pc. My Windows 7 N was having trouble installing the MTP and cm_tenderloin drivers for the touchpad so it was never mounted as a device. In case you have one of these special distributions of Widows make sure you go to google and search Microsoft Windows Media player features pack for Windows 7 N make sure you know whether its 32bit or 64bit and install that update.

If you do not have Microsoft Windows Media Player I believe in it was stated that the runtime environment for MTP does not exist so you will not be able to mount your device. Make sure you have it and it is updated to post version 11 and you should be able to mount as a media device for the fix for SD card there is one using mobile terminal on the XDA forums I believe.

Upvote 0
Late to the party on this, but there is no need for clockworkmod, rebooting into webs, etc.

Whether you have a Mac or PC, makes no difference, just download a program called Android File Transfer, connect Touchpad to PC with supplied USB cable, click and drag files like any other USB device. Easy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones