1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General File Transfering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loatwec, Sep 24, 2012.

1. loatwec

loatwec Lurker
    None

Sep 24, 2012
    Hello everyone, I am hoping someone can offer me some advice. I just bought the Infinity and so far am very impressed. However the lack of wifi direct has me a little bummed. I am trying to find a work around through the keyboard dock USB. Basically I want to download movies onto my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and then transfer them over to the Infinity. But when I plug the phone in the tab does not seem to see it. I tried setting up Airdroid but could not get it to work. I am sure I am missing something, and that there is a way to do this so any help is appreciated.

I know that I could just hotspot and download directly to the tab, or move it to the computer than to the tab. However none of this is terribly convenient, and I am hoping there is a better way. I am assuming having to hotspot slows down my download speeds. Maybe I am wrong and this is the best solution please let me know. D.

Advertisement

2. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Android Expert
    None

Jul 12, 2012
    The problem with trying to use USB is that both devices are peripheral devices, so there's no host device to initiate a connection. This is similar to how old PC serial ports required special cables to connect with other host devices. There is a USB standard called "USB On-The-Go" that uses a special cable to let two peripheral devices work with each other. Unfortunately I've never seen any devices that carry the USB On-The-Go logo, and haven't come across any USB On-The-Go adapters in stores. I get the feeling that it's not widely supported.

Just last night I decided to check out my Infinity's 720p HD capable screen by transcoding a movie to play on it. Since I have the keyboard (with the full-sized SD card slot) and a spare SD card, I used the SD card to transfer the file from my PC and play the video from. I could just as easily used the microSD port without having to connect the keyboard.

When I bought my Kindle Fire (my first Android device), I found an old WAP in my parts room and got it running just so I could use the wireless features of my Kindle. Wi-Fi equipment is dirt cheap these days, so why not set up a WAP and be done with it?

3. Muqtar

Muqtar Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Network Engineer
    Northern Virginia
    That site is a favorite of mine. I used it to learn how to encode movies and put them on my infinity and my wife's iPad.

Use the site and love it

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    If both connect through a router, try SwiFTP on one as a server and AndFTP on the other as a client. Might work. :)