1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Files have disappeared on phone after update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jeafra10, May 5, 2021.

1. jeafra10

jeafra10 Newbie

My husband's my songs were in documents and they have disappeared o . His phone and his tablet. I called ATT and they didn't know what I was talking about.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what phone do you have have? what about the tablet? do you have an sd card?

seems like a weird place tto put music files in. are you sure they were in that folder? what music app do you use to listen to them?

Dannydet likes this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

You need to give us the most important information you can in order to resolve your issue.
    Make and model of your devices,
    What app did you use to play your music with? Don't be vague, let us know please.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. Techemma

Techemma Lurker

Need details to your phone and check file explore or manger to find those files

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I'm not surprised that ATT didn't understand, because I've never heard of an update affecting user files. My guess is that it's more likely that whatever app he was using to look at these files has changed and no longer sees them.

If it's a music app, go into its settings and see whether it has the option to rescan for music. Check that it's set to scan the whole device and not just the Music folder. If it doesn't have such options, install another music player and see whether that can find them (a pre-installed app is, in my experience, rarely the best app).

Or just use a file browser and look in the Documents folder and see whether the files are still there. If you can confirm that they really are not, but nothing else is missing, then you'll have a complaint against ATT (ATT might try to blame the manufacturer in this case, but if ATT distributed the update and did the final testing it's ultimately down to them). However if the files have been erased then they are gone, and no complaining will undo that, so let's hope it's just that your music app isn't seeing them.

ocnbrze, Dannydet and mikedt like this.
  6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I'm not familiar with "My Songs". Is it a system folder or something he created himself?

Hadron, Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  7. jeafra10

jeafra10 Newbie

Ok here is the problem. These are songs he sang himself when he was a lot younger he put them on his phone and now they are gone. He has a Samsung A20. ATT said they would calls us back and get into his phone to see if they could find them. We have looked everywhere.

8. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I don't know the A20, but some Samsung devices have included a rather nasty "device cleaning" service from Qihoo 360, that Samsung calls "Device Care" believe. And before Qihoo, Samsung devices used to have a version of the notorious Cheetah Mobile Clean Master("Clean Master SDK") included, also from China. Maybe is was one of those that cleaned out the songs from the documents folder? One reason why it's always good to have backups of any important documents, music, pics, videos,, etc.

#8 mikedt, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  9. jeafra10

jeafra10 Newbie

10. jeafra10

jeafra10 Newbie

Well the good news is he had someone make a CD of all his song years ago and he can listen on CD player from laptop. He is 91 and he like to Reminisce. Thank you again.

Hadron and ocnbrze like this.
  11. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

That's a relief. And someone could rip the CD and reload the copy to his phone if he wants.

It's a good rule never to have just one copy of something that's important (you'd be amazed how many people only realise the importance of backups when they lose their only copy).