1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Files Not Transferring to SD Card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Barats, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Barats

Barats Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    Starting today, no files I try and transfer from my laptop (music files) are successfully transferring to my sd card. Never have had this problem. Unplugged and plugged the phone back in to the laptop many times. Restarted the computer. The transfer process just gets hung up and never finishes.

I tried transferring those same files to my USB stick to troubleshoot and it works fine.

Is something faulty with my SD card?

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    What is the brand name of the card?
    What size is the card?
    Have you formatted the card on your computer?
    What computer OS do you have?
    Does your phone/computer "see" the card?

3. Barats

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    ScanDisk
    32GB
    Don't believe I ever formatted it
    Windows 7
    Yes it reads the card and I can see and play all the music files.

4. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 12, 2012
    SoCal
    Have you restarted the phone? What about taking a few pictures and see if they were saved in the SD card? Are you using the same USB cable? Maybe the cable went bad? Have you tried using an app to wirelessly transfer files to your phone's SD card.. like AirDroid?

Barats and tube517 like this.
  5. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Forgot to ask, how old is the card?

6. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Where did you buy the card? I know its an odd question, but anyone that has been keeping up with SD Card woes knows that many cards bought on popular online services like Ebay are fakes and although they report being a 32GB card they are in actuality only a few GB. So, back to the conversation, where did you buy the card?

7. Barats

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    Well I seemed to fix the problem although it was a huge pain. I had about 30gigs of music. So I had to copy it all to my laptop. Format the card. Then transfer 30gigs back. Took quite awhile. Hopefully I don't have to do that again.

And to answer the question, I got it off Amazon. I don't mess with Ebay for that reason. Tons of fake stuff on there. Amazon is a lot more controlled and regulated. I bought the card a year ago. It's a legit 32GB ScanDisk. I have 30gigs of music on there and about 1.6GB left.

Hopefully I don't have too many more problems like this.

While we are on the subject, I heard the higher GB card you get, the more issues you can have. True? I was thinking about getting a 64gig card.

Thanks for y'alls help.

8. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK

Re. 64GB cards I have not encountered any problems. Mind you, I always buy cards that are class 10, with the highest possible r/w speeds, branded and from a reputable source (not ebay and Amazon only if supplied directly from them). My 64GB card is a OEM Samsung class 10 and this works without issues. I formatted it in the phone to avoid any problems.

tube517 likes this.
  9. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Glad you got it fixed.

Just keep an eye out because the Sandisk cards have a history of problems with the Note2 and other phones as well (You can google it and see alot of issues). I had major issues with my Sandisk (32 gb/class 10) on my Note 2 and I formatted it again and again. I tested it on other phones and it worked fine. I bought also about a year ago (from Newegg)

10. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Glad to hear you are back up and running. I had terrible issues with a 32GB Sandisk card, so I bought a Sandisk 64GB card. It worked great for about a month and a half then I started having the same issues. I called Sandisk and they seemed completely uninterested in helping me in any form or fashion. After three calls where I was promised an RMA number to return the card and still having received nothing, I wrote off the $69 as experience and added Sandisk to the list of "Never Buy Again" items that I keep in my head. I did go buy a Samsung 64GB Pro (class 10) card and have had no issues with it at all and (I kick myself in the butt for this) it was cheaper than the Sandisk card and I should have bought it first. Well, lessons learned... I wouldn't be afraid of getting a 64GB card, which would give you a lot more space. I would, however, warn you to be mindful of what you purchase. As I said, I have had no issues with the Samsung Pro card.

tube517 likes this.
  11. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    USA
    Same here. I just bought a Samsung 32GB card and it is running fine w/no unmount/mount messages popping up randomly that I experienced w/the Sandisk

12. Barats

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Male
    Thanks y'all. I definitely will look into the Samsung Card. I want to upgrade to a 64gig here soon. I never knew about issues with ScanDisk and Note 2. Glad this was just the one issue and it was not something like the card being completely erased. That would have sucked big time.

And what exactly does Class 10 mean? I am not that knowledgeable about SD cards and their terminology.

13. heat57

heat57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Consultant
    Birmingham, UK
    Here you go, some basic explanations on the subject - Understanding Memory Cards - What Digital Camera walks you through choosing a memory card and which speed is right for your camera | What Digital Camera