• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Files vs Playlists

kauricat

Lurker
Jan 22, 2016
I am a newbie here. Long-time computer user, but new to the Samsung Tab A.

I have just tried to copy all of the music from my iPod to the tablet (using Wondershare Tunesgo). Took ages, but all of the individual tracks are there. Not ALL of the associated data seems to be there (eg Artist, Album, Genres) - yes, for some tracks, no for many, many others.

On the iPod, I had created "Playlists" - one per album (not always spelled the same).

I attached the tablet to my desktop computer and put any tracks I could easily identify with an album into a folder of that album's name (the original playlists, I presume). Many, many tracks remain - with prefixes like 01, 02, etc. Impossible to tell to which album they belong now.

On the tablet, if I use the "Files" menu system, I can see the folders and tracks that I had moved by hand.

If I use the "Music" menu system, I can see many albums with tracks. They do not match the folders I moved by hand. The tablet has selected tracks some other way.

My question is: What is the difference between "Files", "Music" and "Playlists"?

From what I can interpret from your description, the 'Files' menu system is representing the file system of your Tab, the actual music files (probably mp3, aac, or possibly ogg) inside the folders your created.
The 'Music' menu system you refer to is probably what you're seeing through whichever media player app you're using. If so that's a matter of the media player showing what it's designed to show, in this case just the music files on your Tab, not necessarily their specific location where they're being stored.
As for your playlists, keep in mind a playlist file is just a text file with the name and location of a collection of media files. You can open one up with a text editor and you'll see something similar to this:
/home/Audio/ChicagoBluesFest1990_JohnLeeHooker.ogg
/home/Audio/ChicagoBluesFest1990_RuthBrown.ogg
along with a lot of extraneous text, but the point being the playlist file itself is just simple directory, telling a music player the name and location of a music file. By transferring your music files from one device to another, the playlists are for the most part 'broken', the info they contain pertain to your music collection but the actual file path, as in where they're located, is now completely different. The easiest thing to do is just create new playlists so the information inside them is current. Another reason to make new playlists are issues tied to how different operating systems rely on different filesystems. Some things are just annoying, like how Unix based systems (Android runs off a Linux kernel) use forward slash / but Microsoft has opted to have Windows default to using backward slash \. There also more fundamental problems as far as how different operating systems (and different media players) interpret file metadata -- possibly part of the reason why some of your album/genre stuff didn't transfer consistently.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your comments. I understand what you mean about the Playlists. And I see why the iPod ones are useless on the tab.

I have been using the iPod to play music for a dance class. The genre field contains the tempo and number of reps and bars. Without that info (not recognised by the tab, I guess), the tablet is useless for this purpose.

A different question that I hope you can answer: Can I play the iPod through the bluetooth speaker that I have been using with the tab. So very much more convenient than an iPod docking station!!!

Lydia

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you again. I will look at those apps.

You are quite right about the iPod and Bluetooth. Mine is an old Classic without bluetooth, so I am looking at transmitters that I can buy to allow it to work. Some plug into the bottom, others via the headphone plug. Not sure of the difference - maybe just price.

Upvote 0
The iPod would have been using id3 tags to look at your music. Those wont show up on file names. The music player on the Tab should also use that same data, as well as music players on a PC. These data are separate from file names. You could right click the file and check in properties to see and edit these tags.
I have to disagree with that. As I was alluding to earlier about metadata, it's not a universal, OS neutral issue. Usually only small subset of metadata can actually be altered through 'Properties' and this can vary widely especially when you're working the same files that have been transferred between two or more operating systems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones