1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Filetype association or 'Open with'

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whs37, Jan 19, 2013.

1. whs37

whs37 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    retired
    Florida/Germany
    Is it possible to associate a certain filetype to a specific program. E.g. associate .gif with a browser or .png with a specific picture viewer.

Alternatively I could not find how to 'Open with" a file. When you long press the file, you do not get this option and I have found no other way either.

Advertisement

2. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    You are stock rom, rooted right? I went to my screenshot folder and did a long-press on a .png and the first option on the menu was 'Open with'. Choosing that, I then had the choice of Internal, General, or Apps. For the heck of it, I went to Apps, put a check mark in the box 'Always perform the selected action for this type of file', and chose Astro image viewer. It opened in that app. After closing it, I went to another .png file and touched it (not long press) and it opened in Astro image viewer automatically. To me it appears you can go through 'Open with' and set a default program for a file type.

whs37 likes this.
  3. whs37

whs37 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    retired
    Florida/Germany
    Thanks for the answer. I wonder how you did that. I long press on a file in ES File Explorer and I get a long context menu. But there is only 'Open as' and not 'Open with'.

From where did you get to your file - path ??

4. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    I'm using Root Explorer to navigate to /sdcard/pictures/screenshots. A long-press on one of them opens an 'Options' menu with 16 choices, the first one being 'Open With'. It seems the difference is ES file explorer. If I do the same process in Astro (free), when I press the .png, my choices are fewer, with no 'open with'. Choosing 'open as' took me to a screen where I could specify to open it as an image, then I could choose Astro image viewer and say 'always' or 'just once'.

Root Explorer does cost a few bucks, but I consider it to be perhaps the best app I have ever bought. It might even help with your mass storage dilema. Maybe try Astro (free) or buy Root Explorer. FYI, I just set a default player for .mp3's by going to /sdcard/music (where I copied some .mp3's) using Root Explorer. Open with > choose Apps > checkbox for default > choose Poweramp.

whs37 likes this.
  5. whs37

whs37 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    retired
    Florida/Germany
    Very good. I'll get the Root Explorer. That should settle it. Thanks again.

6. whs37

whs37 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    retired
    Florida/Germany
    Root Explorer works great. Could open a .gif with a browser and the .gif was animated.

7. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Great, glad to hear it. Any luck with stickmount?

8. whs37

whs37 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    retired
    Florida/Germany
    Did not try stickmount yet. Had to first do a few honeydews - honeydew this and honeydew that, LOL.