• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Filled up 1 GB of my Internal Storage in a stupid simple way. Now I can't fix it.

John256145

Jun 1, 2014
Hello all, I need some help.

First of all, my phone is set up with adoptable storage. A couple of days ago, I wanted to use my phone's SD card on another phone, so I had to migrate the Data on the SD Card to the phone's internal storage. I had around 3.75 GB used out of 5.51 GB in my phone's Internal Storage. I selected my SD Card and tapped Migrate Data. However, it was unsuccessful due to there being not enough space. My phone says "Data left at original location" if I recall correctly. But the Internal Storage gets nearly full at 5.49 GB used, while all the data still persists in the SD card, unchanged. I've tried multiple reboots, clearing cache and davlink twice, and even deleting many other apps in hopes of updating the storage count, but nothing helped at all. What can I do? Thanks in advance.
BAc8t60.png

My understanding is that once you choose adoptable storage that card will only work with that device. AFAIK no one's talked about reformatting the card with a card reader on a PC to use with a different device but doing that would probably leave your old device borked.
That's why I wanted to migrate the data in the SD Card over to the Internal Storage so I don't lose any data. In the process, the data stayed in the SD Card due to low Internal Storage. The system, instead of deleting the copied files, left them in the Internal Storage. Now I have about 1 GB of undeletable data. I know, I've made a stupid mistake.

Upvote 0
I have a nandroid backup, and ill most likely end up restoring it. It just seems silly to me how such a little thing can mess up my storage a lot.

Well at least you made a nandroid backup. That is something I am seeing alot less of these days in this forum and others.

On a related note, did you make a nandroid backup before the sd card was formatted as adoptable or after? Reason I ask is I had a rooted LG G Stylo and made a nandroid with the adoptable storage (I had to force it to be adoptable) and the sd card data was not saved. I have yet to see many examples of nandroids with the adoptable storage.

Upvote 0
Well at least you made a nandroid backup. That is something I am seeing alot less of these days in this forum and others.

On a related note, did you make a nandroid backup before the sd card was formatted as adoptable or after? Reason I ask is I had a rooted LG G Stylo and made a nandroid with the adoptable storage (I had to force it to be adoptable) and the sd card data was not saved. I have yet to see many examples of nandroids with the adoptable storage.
Both. But any time before I make a nandroid, I eject the SD card in Settings. That way when I restore the backup, nothing is lost. I just need to make sure the SD card is properly ejected every time I backup or restore.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones