1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root final prep for root,

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ducky1979, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ducky1979

ducky1979 Android Expert
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    conductor
    Buxton, Derbyshire
    Morning all, so i am probably gonna root this weekend but just wanted to go through the process and if you all wouldnt mind checking im gonna do it right.
    so its as follows:
    1) root the phone using unrevoked, this will root my phone but leave it just how it is now, do i now create the gold card if i wish? id be interested to see how many people actually do this, as i assume that the only reason to do this is if i ever need to install my phones RUU?????
    2)after root i will have clockworkmod recovery when i use the boot startup?
    3) i then do a nandroid recovery, this will take an image of my phones current setup?
    4)i install my prefered rom onto my sd card, and boot into recovery, using clockworkmod i then install/flash the new rom
    5)i then change my sd card to have ext 2/3/4??? so that i have true app2sd?
    6)i then reinstall all my apps and setup gmail/facebook etc?

my only question are, and i know most of these will have already been asked a million times, so im sorry for repeating,
    i know this will void my warranty but what are the chances of bricking the phone? i mean does anyone know anyone that has actually bricked their phone doing this,
    if i use a custom rom do all my contacts still sync with gmail and facebook??

thanks everyone!!

Advertisement

2. snowwhite

snowwhite Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    It will void ur warranty get insurance iv got free mobile insurance with bank dont freak out to much most things that can go wrong are fixable. Secondly i take it ull download titanium backup from market to back up ure apps? Third make ure ext 3 before u flash ure rom and before u do that back ur sd to pc. You should be good you sound as if you have done enough research this far what rom are you thinking about? Leedroid 2.3d always a good starting point.

3. ducky1979

ducky1979 Android Expert
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    conductor
    Buxton, Derbyshire
    If I use titanium to backup will the apps still get regular updates? It do I need something else to do this?

4. snowwhite

snowwhite Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 12, 2011
    Yeah market stil updates them have u got loads u wana keep?

5. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    Gold card is best done first just in case anything goes wrong - gives you more options to fix things. You can though make it any time as it is nothing to do with rooting really. Not sure if re-partitioning your card loses its Goldcard priviledges though?

As mentioned above, partition your card before you flash a rom or you won't be able to flash an A2SD one - it'll probably boot loop. With GParted and a card reader you don't even need to be rooted.

After rooting (which won't wipe your apps) install Titanium backup and backup your apps. Then wipe from recovery, flash rom, reboot then restore apps through Titanium.

You can't really brick your phone properly like this. A RUU should always get you back to where you started.

6. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I think partitioning the card will lose gold.

Using the goldcard tool in the rooting faq takes 30 seconds.

Make goldcard
    Root
    Backup
    Partition
    Make goldcard again

7. ducky1979

ducky1979 Android Expert
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    conductor
    Buxton, Derbyshire
    Cheers guys, I've got quite a few apps, but none that I don't need essentially, the only one I really use a lot would be juice defender, as I also bought ultimate juice for it, so I will probably reinstall them from the market just to ensure updates and the like, I have also already backed up all my apps and have then on my pc, but I don't think they get updates if I install the apk manually? I've just been reading up on the cyanogen version 7 which sounds like a good sense replacement. Has anyone any experience with this Rom? Also does anyone know with this Rom if app2sd is pre done or to I have to use the install location 2 trick for it?

8. ducky1979

ducky1979 Android Expert
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    conductor
    Buxton, Derbyshire
    Also a little query I've got, when I install a new Rom and do the nandroid backup and then decide to change roms and do another nandroid backup does the second overwrite the first or does it create a brand new backup so you can install as many as you want and return using the backup to any Rom I previously had?

9. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    Creates a new one - There's a directory on your SD card called Clockworkbackup (or something like that). All files are in the there with the filenames being based on the current date and time.

ducky1979 likes this.
  10. ducky1979

ducky1979 Android Expert
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    conductor
    Buxton, Derbyshire
    Thanks Grenw! Do you know about the app2sd?

11. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    You have to flash Dark Tremor a2sd script (or alternative) after flashign cyanogen as it doesnt come with it as standard.

ducky1979 likes this.
  12. ducky1979

ducky1979 Android Expert
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    conductor
    Buxton, Derbyshire
    So if I follow your Sig guide it will be w easy enough process as all the drivers will be installed from the flash? Also does doing this after rooting gain better results than doing the non rooted method? As I've read loads about widget problems and such.

Tags: