• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Final price on June 4th

RaiseUp151z

May 23, 2010
I have not gotten a new phone service for many years now.

So when I go pick up the Evo on June 4th how much money do I need to bring $150 + Gift Card + tax....do I also need to pay monthly service & activation charge also at that time ?

Thanks, I pre-ordered from the Shack.

I think I read that the tax is on the full retail price even if you get it at $199 is that true?
I would believe that if you buy it from sprint, with a mail-in rebate, that you will pay tax on the pre-mail-in-rebate price ($350?), whereas if you buy at RS or BB with instant rebates they should tax you on $199, since that is what they are selling it to you at.

Reactions: Seaogre
Upvote 0
I've always read you pay tax on the full thing. I'm just going to try to not pay tax twice. Meaning for the $50 gift card (paid tax on that already) plus paying tax for the full amount of the phone, which means I'd be paying tax for the same thing twice. That's BS so I'm going to make sure they subtract the $50 from the cost of the phone before tax is applied. Either that or refund me the tax I paid on the gift card first

Upvote 0
No, you pay tax on the full $450.

Source: experience and radio shack employee upon pre-order.

<--RS employee, no sir you only pay tax on $199.

I've always read you pay tax on the full thing. I'm just going to try to not pay tax twice. Meaning for the $50 gift card (paid tax on that already) plus paying tax for the full amount of the phone, which means I'd be paying tax for the same thing twice. That's BS so I'm going to make sure they subtract the $50 from the cost of the phone before tax is applied. Either that or refund me the tax I paid on the gift card first

ys this was an error made by the employee. there is NO tax on gift cards. return before the 4th, now if possible nd make them aware.

Reactions: rzenger
Upvote 0
I have not gotten a new phone service for many years now.

So when I go pick up the Evo on June 4th how much money do I need to bring $150 + Gift Card + tax....do I also need to pay monthly service & activation charge also at that time ?

Thanks, I pre-ordered from the Shack.

This depends on where you live. In California, you pay tax on the full retail price.

Upvote 0
I know exactly the amount I need to bring June 4th to Radio Shack.

I have a gift card for $50.00, the phone is $199.99 with 2-year contract.

$199.99 * 0.07% Florida Tax = $213.99

$213.99 - $50.00 (Gift Card) = $163.99

So, I need to bring $164 bucks on June 4th.

:)

You better bring an extra $17.50 for the full tax price ($31.50) and $18 activitaion fee (premier or $36 for non). You can have the activiation waived by Sprint but RS/BB can not waive it at the time of purchase since this is something applied by SPRINT. In reality the total cost at time of purchase is $250~255. Better to be safe then sorry.

Upvote 0
You better bring an extra $17.50 for the full tax price ($31.50) and $18 activitaion fee (premier or $36 for non). You can have the activiation waived by Sprint but RS/BB can not waive it at the time of purchase since this is something applied by SPRINT. In reality the total cost at time of purchase is $250~255. Better to be safe then sorry.

The activation charge gets added to your phone bill.

Upvote 0
<--RS employee, no sir you only pay tax on $199.

Glad u work for RS, but you also work in Texas, so let me adjust my statement.. Here in California you pay tax on the full price of the phone, not the $199... I've bought phones at *least* once a year for the last 10+ years of my life (starting with my Motorola Profile E300 Analog) and I've paid sales tax on the full price of the phone prior to subsidy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones