1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Finally 2.3.6 for Malaysia

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Russell Ng, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

Great news. Just updated through Kies, and got the 2.3.6 update. A jump from 2.3.3

:D

Android: 2.3.6
    Baseband: DXKL1
    Kernel: DXKL3
    Build: DXKL3

Will play around with it and report back my thoughts later.

Cheers

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert

After using for a few days, here are my thoughts (update from 2.3.3);

1) Pros
    a) Wakelogs don't seem to be much more of a problem. Battery doesn't seem to drop as much under sleep condition
    b) Nice touch with the blue tinge during scrolling
    c) GPS locks faster and more accurate. This alone is worth the update. (Just noticed google map is also updated from 5.8 to 5.11 but still no 6.0)
    d) Seems a bit faster in the homescreens.

2) Cons
    a) Second day of usage, phone reboots on its own twice. But haven't happen since. After reading some post, I suspect its due to old firmware clashing with new. The best is to clear cache, but if need to factory reset to do it, then probably won't bother since once doing that, have to redo settings and redownload the apps again. Anyone know how to clear the cache without factory reset?
    b) The vibrate doesn't work sometimes. Could be due to same reason as 1 and I don't like that the vibrate icon appears in the notification bar all the time. I do set it to vibrate always, but would prefer if the icon only appears when its set to vibrate only (like no sound)
    c) Not that much battery improvement. But I suspect that's because I already did some battery management during 2.3.3 like making sure data is off when not necessary and some of the widgets like AP mobile and weather is only sync manually.

Cheers

PS... Its likely that 2.3.5 already have a lot of the pros, so it might not be worth it to update to 2.3.6 if you are already on 2.3.5
    I won't know since I went from 2.3.3 to 2.3.6

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews