• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Finally Custom Recovery for 2.2.1 stock phones !!!!!!

After the # symbol type:

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-2.2.1-joneidy.img

after the bolded command i get a message No such file or directory... I disregarded assuming it worked the same as mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak...but it each time after completion i get the stock recovery system not the custom...hoping to get some help please...thx ^^
This line does not work the same. If you're being told flash_image doesn't exist, something's not right :). Make sure you extracted flash_image and placed the file on the SD Card. Some people misunderstand and place the flash_image.zip file there as is.

Upvote 0
This line does not work the same. If you're being told flash_image doesn't exist, something's not right :). Make sure you extracted flash_image and placed the file on the SD Card. Some people misunderstand and place the flash_image.zip file there as is.

I extracted both files in my download folder and simply cut and pasted it to the sd card...but i will try again...it just sux haveing auto reboot when i press the hard keys needed for recovery lol

Upvote 0
I was hitting a lot of road blocks along the way of using this method. I messaged Joneidy and helped troubleshoot. I figured I would post the messages to help anyone else who had any of the problems I did.

(me:)
Hey, I was going to post in the thread but didn't want to clutter it up.

My phone is rooted from gingerbreak [2.2.1]
extracted the custom recovery directly to the SD card.
Using Terminal Emulator I started following the steps, but there is no response from any of the commands except SU.
Any ideas what could be wrong?

(jon:)
After you type su do you get the # sign?
If you do then make sure that the files are unzipped to the root of the sdcard.
Hope this helps

Yeah I got # and the [Root Access Granted] toast message. I rebooted, tried again and got the "not enough space on phone" error.
(edit: this was actually the "mtd: not writing bad block at 0X0000000000" error message)
I'm installing the SDK now to trying using that method.
Should I be getting a response after each command?
Right now I get one on the last command claiming there isn't space on the phone, or the 'directory does not exist" a few commands before.

You are supposed to get the same output as what you typed. And about the one that says no space, its because the virtual memory is actually full. So just try it using cmd and adb. That way it should work with no problems.
If any other question dont hesitate on pm me. Lol

lol hey Sorry to bombard your inbox but I made some progress but hit the same "not enough space on device" error.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
vghicn.jpg

This is how it went, rebooting now.
If there actually is a memory problem, is there a way to clean up the memory?
Ok so could you try this. Type all the commands and when you get to the flash_image command replace my recovery file with the one in this link
recovery-RA-optm-2.2.1-GNM.img

Another thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0
when i type in the cat command, it says 'can not create system/bin/flash_image: permission denied
Help? i dont have signal and i used the LGNPST root. and when i try to use sdk manager, the black window wont let me type.
Make sure you're typing the first line that changes permissions,
Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
Otherwise you'll get permission denied.

Upvote 0
Here's a dumb question. Do I absolutely have to be plugged into my PC in order for this to work?

You mean to install recovery? If that's what you mean, then yes. Absolutely. If you don't have a USB cable right now that'll let you do that, a) how have you lived without one???? lol and b) go here to get them for so cheap you'll wonder how they do it: USB Cables

Reactions: MindlessZombie
Upvote 0
You mean to install recovery? If that's what you mean, then yes. Absolutely. If you don't have a USB cable right now that'll let you do that, a) how have you lived without one???? lol and b) go here to get them for so cheap you'll wonder how they do it: USB Cables

No you don't need a USB cable to install recovery. You can do so using Terminal Emulator an app from the market. Here is a great How-To guide on how to do that

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/349438-guide-how-flash-recovery-easy-way.html

Reactions: MindlessZombie
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
two issues: 1) when I go into recovery I get E: boot message error 2) I can no longer recover or back up from inside recovery. It tells me to run the commands in ADB.

Any insight is appreciated.

395800638.jpg

You mean that thing right above that says "E:Bad boot message"? Don't worry about it. Everyone gets that and it's some sorta bull, because it doesn't stop us from using it.

As to being told to run it from ADB, is it something like "Run nandroid-mobile.sh via ADB!"...? I'll ask you what kind of nand backup you're trying to run. I get that problem if I try to run a nand + SD-EXT backup, but if I run just a regular nand backup, it's fine. For some reason I can't get Recovery to ever properly see my sd-ext partition in terms of doing anything with it, although it can create and upgrade the partition just fine. So, well, I don't really like that, but I dunno what to do about it. Joneidy? heh...

Reactions: Verneverne
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones