1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Finally deceided to try rooting....couple of questions...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stevep94, Jun 26, 2011.

1. stevep94

stevep94 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    I've reached the end of my patience with my Desire and its absolutely shocking internal memory!!! :mad: And so have decided to try rooting!

For such a great phone with almost limitless customisation options, the brick wall that you inevitably hit after installing a few apps is sooooo frustrating!

Anyway, I'm going to read all of the FAQ's etc before doing it but just wondered how this is going to affect my phone as-is? Will I lose all of my apps, settings, texts, emails, etc etc or is there a way to retain or backup these??

Also, I assume that the restriction of widgets needing to be on the internal memory is solved with rooting??

Thanks for any help guys....

Advertisement

2. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Luton
    I rooted for the same reason as yourself - I wanted more storage than the limited internal storage available.

I rooted using unRevoked and flashed a ROM which supports Apps2SD+, meaning I can store all apps on my SD card.

Once you root, you can do a Nandroid backup - which basically saves the current state of your phone and you can restore this it any time.

You can also use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps, settings etc.

There are various apps you can use to back up your messages etc.

You're doing the right thing in doing your research before taking the plunge. You've certainly come to the right place for help and advice as well. The members on this website are top notch!

3. stevep94

stevep94 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Right, I read up and understood some of it :D and gave rooting a go following the unRevoved method - everything seems to have gone OK and I have access to the "clockworkmod recovery" (black screen and green writing!)

My question now is, how do I flash the Apps2SD ROM? And will I have to redownload and install my apps to take advantage of it saving stuff to my SD card?

Also, what happens if I remove the SD card - can I get my Desire back to its "stock" settings??

Thanks..........

4. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    No. Just the rooting itself will not change the fact that widgets need to stay on internal storage.

However, if you use the a2sd+ solution, then you can move widgets to SD card and put them on ext partition.

First do a nandroid backup.
    Then use apps like MybackupPro to backup your contacts, sms, etc.
    Finally, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps (only those that you have downloaded).

Now partition your SD card with Gparted as suggested in FAQ.

Then simply download a ROM zip file, put it in the SD card, boot the phone into recovery (vol down + power), select wipe/factory reset, select install a zip file from SD card, select the ROM zip file and install. After alls is done, restore you data and apps.

5. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    Then shouldn't he backup the contents of the sd card to his pc as gparted will reformat the card? I forget, it's been a long time.

6. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    It won't format it but.its good practice to backup to pc anyway

Tags: