1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Finally deciding to switch ROMs...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 3ricG, Dec 27, 2011.

1. 3ricG

3ricG Well-Known Member

So I've decided to flash a new ROM on my phone, and get rid of stock. I found this guide to flash ClockworkMod recovery:

Is this still the preferred way to flash CWM? Should I make a backup first; and if so, how? Thanks for the help!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. superstretch

superstretch Well-Known Member

Most rooting methods I've seen flash CWM automatically.. I think revolutionary does

3. 3ricG

3ricG Well-Known Member

I used revolutionary when I rooted my phone. If it says "recovery" in the startup menu (hboot?), does it mean I have CWM?
    (The menu I'm talking about appears when you boot up your phone while holding vol. down)

4. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

Sometimes revolutionary method doesn't flash cwm properly. Id download ROM manager and flash through it anyway.

5. 3ricG

3ricG Well-Known Member

Okay, so do I have to remove the revolutionary cwm?

Also, when I do a nandroid backup, where will cwm put it?

Thanks for the help!

6. jones4725

jones4725 Lurker

I don't know if you'd remove it straight up or maybe flash the actual CWM Recovery instead? In my case, Scotty gave me a hand since I was still on stock but wanted the .5 update to fix the VM notifications. I put the stock Android recovery back on, took the OTA, and then put the CWM 5.0.2.1 Recovery.

When I made a nandroid backup in CWM Recovery, it placed the backup onto my SD card at /clockworkmod/backup/year-month-date.hour.minute.second (i.e. /clockworkmod/backup/2011-12-01.01.23.45).

Also along those lines, backups for Titanium went into /TitaniumBackup and backups from MyBackup Root went into /rerware/MyBackup

Hope that helps!

7. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

Yep. ROM manager will flash cwm over revolutionaries. Revolutionary uses cwm also. The benefit of flashing through ROM manager is it will give you the latest version and alert you when cwm gets updated.

8. 3ricG

3ricG Well-Known Member

ahhh, okay. I already used the revolutionary cwm; should I still flash from ROM manager? Also, if I do, will it erase my nandroid backups?

9. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

I would. For reasons stated above. Your nandroids should be safe. If your currently using cwm.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews