• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Finally flashed CM7 - Now need help with Google Acount

reom_76

Dec 14, 2010
I'm looking for some help in getting CM7 to operate correctly after finally flashing it to my Captivate for the first time. This is the first ROM I've ever flashed, so excuse any ignorance.

Once I got it flashed, I couldn't add an account, but flashing the Google apps .zip fixed that. However, now, I can't seem to download any apps from the market. I can't download new apps or ones that are already downloaded to my account. I get an error that says, ""App Name" could not be downloaded due to an error." This gives me two questions. First, how can I overcome this so I can download apps? Secondly, is there an easy way to re-download all my prior apps, both paid and non-paid?

Also, my phone is now constantly trying to connect to Google Talk and cannot, giving an error in the notification bar. The error says that the authentication failed. Any ideas as to why I can't connect to Google Talk?

At this point, the phone runs well without any lag, which is what I was after, but I can't really do anything with it since I can't chat with friends, get my email, or use any apps other than what came with CM7. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. (I've searched around for a fix to each issue and can't find anything that matches these problems.)

There's an app called Titanium Backup which allows you to backup the apps and associated data to the SD Card so you can restore them after you flash a new ROM. The paid version which allows you to interrogate your nandroid backup if you didn't use TB to take backups before the flash.

Did you have 2 step verification enabled on your google account? That can cause issues when moving to a new ROM.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the suggestion. I was actually able to solve both problems by turning off wifi, turning on airplane mode, connecting to wifi, signing in to Google Talk, then turning off airplane mode. I saw some random thread about Talk struggling to authenticate for the first time when a data connection is present.

Regardless, I've run into another issue. Everything is working great for the most part. I was able to get all my apps back via titanium backup. However, I now get the following error when I open the calendar:

The application Calendar (process com.android.calendar) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again

The only option it gives is to force close. Has anyone else seen this or do you know how to fix it? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
It seems I did it manually, so I'll try the fix permissions option in ROM Mananger.

It seems the longer I use my phone, the more issues I am finding. Also since flash my Gmail won't send push notifications, which is annoying. If anyone knows how to fix that, I would appreciate it.

I was hoping flashing would add some functionality that my phone had lost (it no longer vibrates on alerts since downloading some app called Llama; this was a problem before rooting/flashing). Since flashing, this still hasn't been resolved, regardless of what settings I'm using. I'm thinking of flashing back to stock and starting from scratch. Would this work? If so, do I use Odin to flash back to stock?

Thank you again and sorry for all the noobish questions.

Upvote 0
Thanks again for the reply. I researched the guide I used to flash and it was done through Odin. I found another guide for flashing back to stock on XDA, but it uses Heimdall. Would that be better? It sounds pretty simple, but in reading about it, it may not work well on a PC with Odin installed.

I really like how my phone is running after flashing, but the little quirks are already wearing on me. Between no Gmail push notifications and the lack of vibration notifications (not due to flash, but was hoping to get back), I'm ready to start all over from a clean slate and see if it makes a difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones