• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Finally got root (adb in recovery)... my method

theotherrogue

Mar 7, 2010
I know there are a lot of methods, tips, tricks out there, but after spending multiple nights trying to get root to work, I got it. I thought it would do some good to share my info.

I'm using an ADATA SD card (4GB class 6). Many people have reported varied success with this card.

I was able to get this method working twice successfully by following these steps exactly. No other steps I've tried have worked:

• Boot your phone normally (HTC Sense).
  • Plug in USB.
  • Change to "Charge-only" mode for the usb connection.
  • Enable USB debugging.
  • Power off normally (don't pull battery).
  • Disconnect USB.
  • Hold VOLUME DOWN + POWER.
  • Wait for update messages to pop up and disappear.
  • Press VOL DOWN to highlight "Recovery" (don't select it yet)
  • Remove and reinsert SD Card.
  • Connect USB.
  • Start loop.bat in command prompt.
  • Now, press POWER to select recovery.
  • Rapidly remove and reinsert SD Card until the very moment the /!\ icon comes on screen. (You should do the last SD card re-insert immediately after the /!\ icon appears).
  • This is when I FINALLY got the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" to appear.
  • Now, you can follow all additional steps in the video for superuser permissions, enable tethering, then use UnrEVOked tools, etc...

Hopefully it works for someone else. If not, I guess it's just my particular phone/SD Card combo.
:eek:

I got it as well using a similar method. Rather than rapidly inserting the card and taking it out, I just inserted it in after about 5 seconds. I inserted it right as the phone was switching from the white HTC Incredible screen to the black recovery screen and that seemed to do the trick. I failed two times previously that day by either doing it too early or too late.

I really think it has something to do with the SD card and it being read as I was trying to root my phone for hours on end for two days with no luck. I even tried the rapid SD card method suggested here but that wasn't working.

Try waiting 5 seconds after the white screen, that did the trick for me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones