1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Finally got root (adb in recovery)... my method

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theotherrogue, Jun 24, 2010.

1. theotherrogue

theotherrogue Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I know there are a lot of methods, tips, tricks out there, but after spending multiple nights trying to get root to work, I got it. I thought it would do some good to share my info.

I'm using an ADATA SD card (4GB class 6). Many people have reported varied success with this card.

I was able to get this method working twice successfully by following these steps exactly. No other steps I've tried have worked:

• Boot your phone normally (HTC Sense).
    • Plug in USB.
    • Change to "Charge-only" mode for the usb connection.
    • Enable USB debugging.
    • Power off normally (don't pull battery).
    • Disconnect USB.
    • Hold VOLUME DOWN + POWER.
    • Wait for update messages to pop up and disappear.
    • Press VOL DOWN to highlight "Recovery" (don't select it yet)
    • Remove and reinsert SD Card.
    • Connect USB.
    • Start loop.bat in command prompt.
    • Now, press POWER to select recovery.
    • Rapidly remove and reinsert SD Card until the very moment the /!\ icon comes on screen. (You should do the last SD card re-insert immediately after the /!\ icon appears).
    • This is when I FINALLY got the "exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -" to appear.
    • Now, you can follow all additional steps in the video for superuser permissions, enable tethering, then use UnrEVOked tools, etc...

Hopefully it works for someone else. If not, I guess it's just my particular phone/SD Card combo.
    :eek:

Advertisement

2. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Congrats!!

3. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    College Student
    NC
    glad u got it... took me 3 days

4. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I got it as well using a similar method. Rather than rapidly inserting the card and taking it out, I just inserted it in after about 5 seconds. I inserted it right as the phone was switching from the white HTC Incredible screen to the black recovery screen and that seemed to do the trick. I failed two times previously that day by either doing it too early or too late.

I really think it has something to do with the SD card and it being read as I was trying to root my phone for hours on end for two days with no luck. I even tried the rapid SD card method suggested here but that wasn't working.

Try waiting 5 seconds after the white screen, that did the trick for me

5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Sterling, IL
    The timing for your pc setup is right after the /!\ shows, try it again but just insert it once the same moment you'd have done it using your method. I've had it work a couple times for me doing it that way as well. But it only actually needs to be inserted once vs many times.