• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Finally Rooted and OC'd!!!

Welcome! But I highly suggest trying all the different roms. It is a pain in the ass dealing with all your apps (there is probably a really easy way to restore them but I end up just downloading them all again) but otherwise there are some cool looking roms out there that are often way more efficient because they have less on them or are based on less hardware and battery intensive roms(like Froyo which I highly recommend as a good starting point)

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd add my 2 pennies.

Late last week I also took the plunge and rooted. I also love it. I started with xtrSense, but couldn't OC like I thought I should be able to.. very likely it was something I was doing wrong.

So then I tried the regular xtr, evil eris 3.0, and then Plain Jane 2.1.. and if you like the stock feeling, I love Plain Jane. I'm OC'd to 710, used profiles for better battery, and it's made my Eris a whole new phone. Simply awesome.

I may update to the new Evil Eris 4.0 once they fix a couple minor things, but right now, Plain Jane 2.1 is working GREAT.

Upvote 0
I swear I wanna root, for Hotspot, battery, etc. I'm getting closer. Like I've driven to the water to take the plunge, but I'm still sitting in the car, looking at it through the window.

Somebody, anybody, give me the motivation I need!! I LOVE my Eris. But like I said, I'd like the Hotspost feature, and extra battery life I've heard about. Other than those, I'd like my phone to have the same exact look/feel that it has now.

Upvote 0
I did try the hotspot feature, and it was cool, just not something I would use a lot. But due to the OC, faster=smoother. Everything is just crisp. I get better battery too.. but do your homework.

I spent a lot of time reading up on the different roms, the optimal settings and apps to use.. I spent the 1.99 for SetCPU which in my opinion is the deal of a lifetime for the extra battery and power it provides.

I even spent another 1.99 for Beautiful Widgets, and it's worth every penny for how much better it made my homescreen look. And the weather is always accurate!

Upvote 0
I'll add in my 2 cents now... I'll first start out by saying I've been back and forth between stock 2.1 (oc'd) and xtrROM. I have noticed a big difference when using stock 2.1 if you eliminate unwanted apps (that are safe to eliminate ofcourse).

If you use a file manager (Root Explorer) and browse to the /system folder you will notice that you have about 8 MB free in this memory space. After I removed a bunch of stuff I don't use, I now have a little over 20 MB free. I don't know with authority if there is a valid reason for this, but I do notice the phone to be more responsive and lag free. I would theorize that the extra free memory is somehow able to be used by the phone thus keeping it running smooth. I still run OC'd but I have taken the clock down from 787 to 710 without any performance loss that I can tell. It is also every bit as fast as xtrROM in my opinion.

At this point, I see no added value (for me) from using a custom rom. I do like xtrROM though, and I will try 3.1 when a few of the kinks are worked out.

One other thing... many of the custom roms eliminate apps so I have a feeling some of the speed enhancements come from this modification.

Reactions: mare621
Upvote 0
I swear I wanna root, for Hotspot, battery, etc. I'm getting closer. Like I've driven to the water to take the plunge, but I'm still sitting in the car, looking at it through the window.

Somebody, anybody, give me the motivation I need!! I LOVE my Eris. But like I said, I'd like the Hotspost feature, and extra battery life I've heard about. Other than those, I'd like my phone to have the same exact look/feel that it has now.

I have been reading this forum since I got my phone last Dec. Have not had any issues with the phone. I rooted two weeks ago and have tried a few different roms. Presently i am on xtrSense 3.0.3 and is very smooth. OC'd to 748, using wireless tether to send this post. This particular rom does have the exact look and feel of what you're used to. With the various instructions on here, it is very easy. I am by no means highly tech savvy(I'm 52 y/o lol),
but have been able to figure things out with the great info here. (leakv1>v2>v >root.) Go for it. I think you'll be glad you did.

Upvote 0
Rooted last night after reading posts after post for nearly a month. xtrRom 3.0.3, first rom tried, like it very much, OC 710, launcher pad beta, it is truly a much faster phone now. No FC's or any other problems so far. Battery is same if not slightly better but thats only 24hrs of use and I've been on it a LOT in the last 24 hrs. I recommend doing it, you won't regret it. (not responsible for anything that goes wrong, but it wont)

Upvote 0

Rapper gave you one motivation; I'll provide you two more.

- The new rooting method means that it is uber-simple to backup your existing "stock" HTC ROM (using Nandroid). You can always return to it (Nandroid restore) with four clicks of the trackball if you find the grass on the other side of the fence not so green.

- With just a little bit more effort, you can simple add root tools on top of your existing ROM. No need to re-customize your phone. (There is also a very simple way to "slip" a new boot partition into a nandroid backup so you can add a spiffy new OC kernel to your existing ROM)

Bottom line? You can have your cake and eat it too.

eu1

Reactions: Bishop
Upvote 0
Rapper gave you one motivation; I'll provide you two more.

- The new rooting method means that it is uber-simple to backup your existing "stock" HTC ROM (using Nandroid). You can always return to it (Nandroid restore) with four clicks of the trackball if you find the grass on the other side of the fence not so green.

- With just a little bit more effort, you can simple add root tools on top of your existing ROM. No need to re-customize your phone. (There is also a very simple way to "slip" a new boot partition into a nandroid backup so you can add a spiffy new OC kernel to your existing ROM)

Bottom line? You can have your cake and eat it too.

eu1

lol, bishop already jumped the fence. heck, he's already admitted to passing out on the couch with phone in hand.

Upvote 0
I'll add in my 2 cents now... I'll first start out by saying I've been back and forth between stock 2.1 (oc'd) and xtrROM. I have noticed a big difference when using stock 2.1 if you eliminate unwanted apps (that are safe to eliminate ofcourse).

If you use a file manager (Root Explorer) and browse to the /system folder you will notice that you have about 8 MB free in this memory space. After I removed a bunch of stuff I don't use, I now have a little over 20 MB free. I don't know with authority if there is a valid reason for this, but I do notice the phone to be more responsive and lag free. I would theorize that the extra free memory is somehow able to be used by the phone thus keeping it running smooth. I still run OC'd but I have taken the clock down from 787 to 710 without any performance loss that I can tell. It is also every bit as fast as xtrROM in my opinion.

At this point, I see no added value (for me) from using a custom rom. I do like xtrROM though, and I will try 3.1 when a few of the kinks are worked out.

One other thing... many of the custom roms eliminate apps so I have a feeling some of the speed enhancements come from this modification.

Hi LED,

Your post is right up my alley. I just rooted yesterday but I did not pick a ROM, still 2.1. I really only rooted to get a faster phone but I don't quite know how to get there. I have superuser and I've purchased setCPU but it stays at 528 no matter what I do. So now I'm rooted with a stock phone...arghhh I guess I have to do more reading ;)

Upvote 0
Hi LED,

Your post is right up my alley. I just rooted yesterday but I did not pick a ROM, still 2.1. I really only rooted to get a faster phone but I don't quite know how to get there. I have superuser and I've purchased setCPU but it stays at 528 no matter what I do. So now I'm rooted with a stock phone...arghhh I guess I have to do more reading ;)

mare621,

If you want to overclock on the stock ROM, you'll have to flash Zanfur's overclocking patch. Here's how I did it: http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/135849-how-do-i-flash-oc-patch.html#post1253948

Cheers!

Upvote 0
You have to install the special kernel to allow the stock rom to overclock past 528. The instructions are somewhere in this forum but I can't find them atm. I can tell you that I tried staying with the stock ROM but ending up going to xtrSense. The rom is so stable you don't have even to overclock and it looks and feels identical to the stock Sense with the exception of not lagging to death.

Upvote 0
If you use a file manager (Root Explorer) and browse to the /system folder you will notice that you have about 8 MB free in this memory space. After I removed a bunch of stuff I don't use, I now have a little over 20 MB free. I don't know with authority if there is a valid reason for this, but I do notice the phone to be more responsive and lag free. I would theorize that the extra free memory is somehow able to be used by the phone thus keeping it running smooth.

Free space in a (partition of) Flash memory is not the same thing as free space in DRAM - a phone that is choked with running apps will feel much slower because there is very little spare DRAM available for file caching, application memory heaps, et cetera. Flash memory is hundreds to thousands of time slower than DRAM and is never used in the same way as DRAM (unless a Linux "swap" partition is used, and that doesn't happen on stock Eris). They are not the same thing, and are not used for the same purposes.

There are only one circumstance in which removing apps from flash memory will help runtime performance - and that is if the apps that are removed are apps which auto-start, or auto-restart so that they consume DRAM (not flash memory file space). Removing them helps in that case because they can no longer consume DRAM. (e.g. Amazon MP3, Stocks, Peeps, etc).

eu1

Reactions: mare621 and LED
Upvote 0
So what you're saying is that it would be beneficial to remove the apps that autostart? If they don't autostart, then they won't necessarily slow the phone down, but they are just taking up phone storage space?

Correct. Keep in mind the phone storage space that is freed up will not be available for you to install market apps though... that's a different memory space. I believe that is part of the reason why some custom roms feel faster... they often strip out the bloat.

Upvote 0
Correct. Keep in mind the phone storage space that is freed up will not be available for you to install market apps though... that's a different memory space. I believe that is part of the reason why some custom roms feel faster... they often strip out the bloat.

When I check my phone storage, it says i have 46mb free - this is for downloading and storage of apps, right?

When I check Autokiller (which I have set to aggressive), it says I have 58mb of free memory.

The latter is what will effect my phone's speed, correct?

I think I'm getting this. Haha.

Upvote 0
It seems people here like that xtrsense and roms close to stock. I'm just the opposite. I like the sense UI, but I love the freedom to set up my phone the way I want it. I was on Droid Does 1.1 a couple days a go, and I LOVED it. Switched cause my phone was acting up (FC all the time (thinking bad download) ). Now Im on WW 4.6. Those have been my favorite two since I rooted a couple months ago. My advice would be just take an step and try out all kinds of different things. There is BOUND to be something you like, that will meet your needs.

And if you are on the fence about rooting, do it. Rooting is the reason why I don't have any Droid Incredible or X envy... honestly wouldn't trade my ERIS for anything.

Ill post my screen shots in the "post your screenshots" thread here in a bit. Give you atleast an idea of what im working with lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones