• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Finally Rooted and OC'd!!!

Free space in a (partition of) Flash memory is not the same thing as free space in DRAM - a phone that is choked with running apps will feel much slower because there is very little spare DRAM available for file caching, application memory heaps, et cetera. Flash memory is hundreds to thousands of time slower than DRAM and is never used in the same way as DRAM (unless a Linux "swap" partition is used, and that doesn't happen on stock Eris). They are not the same thing, and are not used for the same purposes.

There are only one circumstance in which removing apps from flash memory will help runtime performance - and that is if the apps that are removed are apps which auto-start, or auto-restart so that they consume DRAM (not flash memory file space). Removing them helps in that case because they can no longer consume DRAM. (e.g. Amazon MP3, Stocks, Peeps, etc).

eu1

Once rooted, how do I remove these apps? Sorry, I'm new to all of this and taking it VERY slow ;)

Upvote 0
Once rooted, how do I remove these apps? Sorry, I'm new to all of this and taking it VERY slow ;)

The easiest way to remove apps on a rooted phone is using a root-aware file manager. The best known of these types of Apps is "Root Explorer". It's a couple of bucks. Frisco says there are free file explorers in the market, and others have suggested that Titanium backup will also work for this.

There are other ways - for instance the command line, but that's the kind of approach which is best left to Unix/Linux wizards.

The fastest way to delete (system) apps is to find the correct .apk file in the /system/app folder on your phone, and then delete them using your (root-aware) file explorer, and then reboot your phone.

A prerequisite to doing this is having the /system partition mounted so that it is writable ("rw" read-write mode), instead of read only ("ro"). Some root ROMs mount /system "rw" by default, and others don't. You'll need to check that for your ROM - and do some research here on how this is done.

There's a couple things you need to be aware of about this process:

1) Finding the right .apk file
2) Dependencies - you can't just delete anything!
3) misc cleanups.

1) Finding the Right .apk File

Sometimes the .apk files will not be named in an obvious way; for instance, the Amazon MP3 app is named "com.amazon.mp3.apk". Choose carefully.

2) Dependencies - you can't just delete anything!

If you start deleting system applications willy-nilly, you will eventually find that applications that you want to keep will start crashing - this is because they "call" those other applications that you removed... they "depend" on them for correct operation. This has two implications: Make frequent backups, and proceed methodically and carefully.

There are some threads on here where folks (e.g. Frisco) relate their experiences about which apps they were safely able to delete (for instance the social networking apps) - search for "how to delete system apps".

3) Misc Cleanups.

If you have found the correct .apk file for removal, there is a corresponding folder with the same root name as the .apk file in /data/data. For instance, in the case of the Amazon MP3 app, there is a folder named

/data/data/com.amazon.mp3

This is where it stores it's settings and application data.

This can be safely removed after you have deleted the /system/app/com.amazon.mp3.apk file. (It is possible that Android will clean up folders like this on the reboot - I'm not sure if it will do that for you or not).

That's not everything, but it's a good start

eu1

Upvote 0
I swear I wanna root, for Hotspot, battery, etc. I'm getting closer. Like I've driven to the water to take the plunge, but I'm still sitting in the car, looking at it through the window. Somebody, anybody, give me the motivation I need!! I LOVE my Eris. But like I said, I'd like the Hotspost feature, and extra battery life I've heard about. Other than those, I'd like my phone to have the same exact look/feel that it has now.

It's easy to do this. I'm still running stock 2.1 rom, rooted and overclocked to 768mhz. I've removed a bunch of stuff that I don't use/need anymore ie. alot of stock HTC apps and widgets. The wireless tether is awesome, use it with my laptop at work, but normally have to keep it plugged into the charger or a usb port because it drains the battery on the Eris like a mooooofooooo!!

I'm kinda a techie... I like messing with my "toys" haha. I found that once I rooted, I wanted to keep doing more to it... eventually i got rid of Sense UI completely, and instead use Launcher Pro for homescreen/dock and WidgetLocker for my lockscreen.

Last night I made a custom boot animation for the phone. Honestly it just depends how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go... I will say that enabling overclocking did wonders for the eris... video playback, and most processes on the phone run much smoother. If you're heavy usage during the day, you might see a drop in battery life at full OC, and the phone tends to run a lil hotter during longer tasks.

just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
How is this done?

Usually from the command line (via adb):

Code:
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

One of the ROMs (can't remember which) had a toggle in it for toggling the mount of /system back and forth between "ro" and "rw".

You could always use the Gscript App for this - a two-line script which is set up in Gscript to ask for "su" privileges:

(sysrw.sh - mount /system in "rw" mode )
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

and
(sysro.sh - mount /system in "ro" mode )
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones