• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Finally rooted last night, some questions

D

Deleted User

I went with Das BAMF 1.6.3. I have some questions, though:

1. I still have a bunch of Verizon apps. VCast Apps, VCast Media, VZ Navigator. Also I still have that Let's Golf game, and a bunch of HTC apps I don't care about (footprints, their car panel, some others). What's the best way to get rid of these?
2. How do I get the power switches in the notification tray?
3. I don't like how dark the drop-down notification drawer is, and I don't like how tiny the "Clear" button is. Any way to go back to the way this is on the stock ROM? I can live with it if not.

Thanks in advance!

ugh. That'll teach me to make things easy for myself. :)

I guess I'll just learn how to do this the hard way, to make sure I get the intended BAMF experience.

Thing is that I've already spent an evening getting apps installed and configured. I have Titanium Backup Pro (another purchase made last night), so can you (or someone else) give me a step by step on how to back up apps and then restore them when I flash a new ROM? My understanding is that essentially this allows me to pick up exactly where I left off, is that correct?

I have a good idea of how to do it, but I just want to confirm.

Upvote 0
Why would that make a difference? Isn't it the same ROM?

Makes me feel like a sucker for paying for the pro version of ROM manager, then. I figured it would just make things easier.

The problems I have seen with ROM Manager come from using that to actually flash with. I have used it to download roms and then exited out and flashed them is CWR... never had a problem...

Upvote 0
Ha I had these exact same issues not even 3 days ago. Here's what I'll recommend you do so you don't try to flash 4 times in 1 day like I did.

1. Don't bother trying to fix this yet. WormDoes is correct in his assumption that ROM Manager is to blame for your problems.
2. Also caused by ROM Manager, sadly.
3. Nope, no way to fix this.

So here's what you do. *You are going to wipe and re-flash 1.6.3, manually*
1. Finish setting up your apps on the BAMF you have now and do a batch backup of all apps + data with Titanium Backup. You may have to unselect the bloat so it doesn't get backed up.
2. Download the .zip of the 1.6.3 nte and manually put it on your SD card.
3. Open ROM Manager and Reboot into Recovery.
4. Under back up / restore, make a backup of your ROM (never hurts to be careful)
5. Once in recovery you'll need to "wipe data/factory reset" 3 times. "Wipe cache partition" 3 times. Under "advanced", "Wipe dalvik cache" 3 times.
6. Go back out from the advanced tab and in the main menu select "install zip from SD card". Find the 1.6.3.zip on your SD card and select it.

BAMF 1.6.3 will install, reboot and you'll be on your merry way :cool:. Use Titanium Backup to restore all your apps. *EDIT: Make sure you download your Pro key from the Market first after re-flashing so you can do the 0-click restore!* The modified Notification Bar will be updated with the control settings, the Power options when holding down the power button will be updated with 6 options, and the signal bar should be updated to the 6 bar signal indicator. Hope that answers everything!

Edit: I still think ROM Manager is useful, but I'll just stick to installing a ROM using the steps I outlined above.

Upvote 0
thanks so much for your step-by-step guide. Really appreciate it.

One last thing: does Titanium back up Amazon App Store apps?

Sure does. Titanium Backup can't really discrimate, it just sees all the apps+data and backs up whatever is there. The only thing I've noticed that it doesn't backup that well is widget data, so if any of the widgets you use have an option to save/backup a configuration you should do that. Also, I have Whiteboard Pro and although the template is saved, the notes i've written were not saved.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones