1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Finally rooted my Ally, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by megr0se, Nov 5, 2011.

1. megr0se

megr0se Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2011
    NJ
    I rooted my Ally using the FroYo guide for 2.2, the thread on here. (Let me know this was done right, lol) At the end of it, it asked if I wanted stock 2.2 or Velocity and I chose Velocity. It's on Velocity 1.0 as of right now. I like the sleek design a lot, I'm really happy with the outcome.
    I was just wondering what to do now. I downloaded ROM Manager, and did the Clockwork Recovery (This was all in a thread) then the nandroid backup while in recovery mode.
    I always used GOSMS for my messaging app, so I downloaded that. I also always used the calendar widget, but I didn't see it. So I found a Go Calendar, and downloaded that, but it said I needed to download Go Launcher Ex. So I did, and as soon as I tried to open the Go Launcher App, it made me download Home Manager, and then pretty much without hitting any buttons, it applied a different theme. I don't really mind it, but it wasn't reallyyy what I had in mind.
    I was hoping some people could give me some suggestions as to whether or not I should keep Go Launcher, anything else I should do to it or download.

I also was browsing, and landed on the website for the Velocity dev I believe? It had a side panel where you could find themes, ROMS, etc..At one point it said to apply something new I'd need BusyBox and MetaMorph, so I downloaded those as well. Also, the new buttons that popped up after I rooted it (Space Parts, OI Manager, DSP Manager, Superuser, Terminal Emulator and Wired/Wireless Tether) - what should I do with those, what shouldn't I touch, what's useful to me?

I'm sorry, I know this is a lot, but I'm really interested in this and would love to learn more. But since this is my first time rooting, I don't wanna mess anything up! I just want to be able to customize a lot and speed it up a bit (but speed is not THAT big of a deal for me). I basically use the phone for texting, taking pictures when I don't have any of my big cameras, facebook, and like checking bank accounts. I know I'm asking for a lot of info, but anything would be appreciated! Thank you, in advance!

Advertisement

2. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Just play with it. Velocity is pretty much ready to go, you dont need to install extras especially if you dont know what the apps in the rom do yet. Using a custom launcher is just a preference thing, some people like them some dont. If you didnt have a specific goal in mind when you installed a custom rom the best I can say is just use it a while and you will learn the benefits. I think the website you stumbled on is pretty out of date for the most part.

Be prepared to have to reload your rom if you play a lot, but this is not a huge deal, you have already done it once now. I would say one of the more fun things is to open terminal emulator and go into cosmetic changes. you can change your boot animation, fonts, theme, etc right from there.

3. db2u

db2u Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    As a side note, I would go with something newer then velocity 1.0. you are now two revisions out of date right off the bat.

4. megr0se

megr0se Newbie
    None

Nov 4, 2011
    NJ
    Hey, thank you for the responses, I just saw these. I actually have a question again about the whole thing. Like I said, after I rooted it, and it was rebooting it asked if I wanted stock Android or Velocity, and I chose Velocity .. but today I got a "system update" message for Android (VS740ZVE). If I download and install, what will happen? Does this mean the Ally got 2.3? And will I have to switch back to stock to see the update? I downloaded it, but haven't restarted and installed yet till I know what'll happen. Sorry for all the questions, I just do not want to mess this up like I did the Eris, lol! Thanks again!

Tags: