1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Finally rooted, new ROM now?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Paul7876, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member
    None

May 29, 2010
    Hi,

I've finally got the nerve to root my Telstra (Australia) HTC Desire.

It's still running the stock 2.2 ROM so now I'm considering switching, but I'm nervous because I don't want to brick the phone and I've heard about the HTC bootloaders being locked.

I rooted with Unrevoked and have downloaded ROM manager from the market. Can this be used to flash the ROM on the Desire?

Also, the recovery screen shows 'S-ON'. I think that means I can't install custom ROM's. Is that correct?

If I don't upgrade the ROM can I still get the stock upgrades? I think Telstra are releasing Gingerbread sometime this month.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. GingaB

GingaB Android Expert
    None

Dec 26, 2010
    London, UK
    Mate you needed to have hboot below 1.06 to root which as you say you have acheived so dont worry about that now! Go on XDA forum and find a custom rom to your liking. S-ON doesnt stop you from adding custom rom it just prevents you from removing system files!

By the way.. DO NOT use ROM Manager! Always flash zips through recovery.

3. Paul7876

Paul7876 Well-Known Member
    None

May 29, 2010
    Thanks. Is there any particular reason not to use ROM Manager? I installed it and had a look but haven't done anything with it yet.

Also how do I flash zips through recovery and is there a way to go back to the stock if it goes wrong? I understand I have to flash the radio too, whatever that means :)

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    ROM manager can break things on the desire.

In recovery you can use the "install zip from SD card" option. Its all pretty self explanatory. Have a read of the rooting FAQ in the sticky thread of the root forum here (back out of this thread, its stuck at the top).

If you take a backup via recovery, you can restore that backup.

You dont NEED to flash a radio

5. irvs101

irvs101 Member
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Electrician
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah I'm on telstra with a desire too so I would assume we have the same model and I had no worries, I put Gingervillian on but I've been having issues with the gps though so maybe give that a miss until it is resolved. If you like the stock Sense UI I've heard InsertCoin is very good. Good Luck

Tags: