• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Finally rooted, new ROM now?

Paul7876

May 29, 2010
Hi,

I've finally got the nerve to root my Telstra (Australia) HTC Desire.

It's still running the stock 2.2 ROM so now I'm considering switching, but I'm nervous because I don't want to brick the phone and I've heard about the HTC bootloaders being locked.

I rooted with Unrevoked and have downloaded ROM manager from the market. Can this be used to flash the ROM on the Desire?

Also, the recovery screen shows 'S-ON'. I think that means I can't install custom ROM's. Is that correct?

If I don't upgrade the ROM can I still get the stock upgrades? I think Telstra are releasing Gingerbread sometime this month.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mate you needed to have hboot below 1.06 to root which as you say you have acheived so dont worry about that now! Go on XDA forum and find a custom rom to your liking. S-ON doesnt stop you from adding custom rom it just prevents you from removing system files!

By the way.. DO NOT use ROM Manager! Always flash zips through recovery.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Is there any particular reason not to use ROM Manager? I installed it and had a look but haven't done anything with it yet.

Also how do I flash zips through recovery and is there a way to go back to the stock if it goes wrong? I understand I have to flash the radio too, whatever that means :)

Upvote 0
ROM manager can break things on the desire.

In recovery you can use the "install zip from SD card" option. Its all pretty self explanatory. Have a read of the rooting FAQ in the sticky thread of the root forum here (back out of this thread, its stuck at the top).

If you take a backup via recovery, you can restore that backup.

You dont NEED to flash a radio

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones