1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Financial app can't take pictures

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by John Jason, Dec 28, 2013.

1. John Jason

John Jason Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm supposed to have a job?
    Portland, left side North America
    I bought my SGS2 within a week after it came out on T-Mobile. It has worked well for me all this time - no root or anything, just plain stock OS. My financial institution has long had an Android app, but recently they have come out with a new version that allows you to deposit checks with your phone. To do so you need to take pictures of the front and the back of the check, from within the app. I've installed the new version and it works fine, except that when I go to take a picture of the check the image does not appear on the screen. I have to hold the phone above the check and guess what the pic will look like. After I snap the pic it appears on the screen, but because I couldn't see what I was taking a picture of the pic is usually too bad and the app won't accept it.

If I take a pic with the regular camera function it displays what it sees before I snap the pic, but the financial institution's app requires that the pic be taken from within the app. The problem is something in the app that is failing to call the camera function properly.

I spent an hour with people at the financial institution who have their app installed on their phones. They quickly realized that on my phone the app does not display an image before you snap the pic. At first they said the SGS2 was supported and offered to research the problem and get back to me. The next day they called back and said that it was supported on the SGS2 Plus (whatever that is), but not the SGS2.

I have never had any desire to install a better Android than what T-Mobile and Samsung have seen fit to provide, but maybe now is the time. In the meantime, however, if anyone knows any technical details that might shed light on why the financial institution's app fails to let the camera display an image of what the camera is about to take a picture of, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

PS: I am not interested in buying a new phone because of this. I love my SGS2.

Advertisement

2. John Jason

John Jason Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm supposed to have a job?
    Portland, left side North America
    I decided to use the thread above "How to Odin any stock rom" and replace the Gingerbread that T-Mobile and Samsung provide with the latest Android. However, there is a problem. The instructions say:

Make sure on your phone USB Debugging is checked in Settings > Developer Options

When I go to Settings > I see a lot of things, but Developer Options is not listed. I even looked inside each option to see if Developer Options might be a submenu, but it's nowhere to be found.

Edit: I finally found it. It was in Settings > Applications > Development