1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Find My Friends! for SMS?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by PenguinLust, Oct 21, 2014.

1. PenguinLust

PenguinLust Lurker

I don't have a data plan for my phone, but I have a generous SMS plan. It would be very practical if GPS information could be sent from phone-to-phone by SMS, but it seems that Find My Friends! requires network access. Is there another app that can?
    My instincts tell me that an app couldn't do that unless it became the default SMS app and would therefore have to be the SMS app for the device. They also tell me that no developer would waste his time on a dark ages smart phone user like me who has no data plan :( Yes, my instincts are pessimistic.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. johnny_w

johnny_w Well-Known Member

How about this?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jhath.LocShare&hl=en
    LocSMS lets you send your current GPS coordinates via SMS to any number. The recipient will be able to open the link if they have any smartphone made in the last few years. You can kind of already do this with the built-in map function but it'll try and give you the closest address which doesn't help if you're in the middle of a park, a large outdoor concert, etc.

PenguinLust likes this.
  3. PenguinLust

PenguinLust Lurker

I forgot to mention that it's something that will need to work on a Windows phone (I know, but it's the one the carrier gave us).
    So this "link"..? Is it a hyperlink? Will the recipient need network access?

4. johnny_w

Wow, you're making this tough! The link looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    My guess is that it would bring you to Google maps online so yes, the recipient would need an active network connection.
    As far as Windows phones, I've never owned one so I can be of little to no help there.
    Sorry

5. PenguinLust

PenguinLust Lurker

Well I did find on the Windoze phone you can send the information in a few forms: some that will interface w/specific platforms (probably requiring net access) and "plaintext", which I was able to copy to the clipboard, and now I just need to find an app where you can input lat/long. Unfortunately, NavFree isn't one of them :(

6. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

You came on Android forums to get help with a Windows phone???
    That's hilarious

7. johnny_w

I spent a week in Paris and I don't speak a word of french.
    It worked out.

8. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

lol......

9. PenguinLust

PenguinLust Lurker

Unfortunately not. (One key requirement is that I need to be able to store the maps on an SD card, but a couple couldn't do it)
    I came close w/the unlisted "Aponia GPS Navigation". It let's you give coordinates, but I'd need to be able to paste them in, rather than remember 20 digits and 2 signs. Unfortunately, I've had some trouble pasting in places on Android devices. I don't suppose anyone could tell me how it is possible. I tried putting my finger on the fields and wait for a "Paste" dropdown, but nothing.

10. johnny_w

On my Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 I do just that, long press in a field and I get a drop-down.
    Your best bet for that kind of information is to post the question in the sub-forum dedicated to your specific model of phone.
    Every model and even with the same model different software does things slightly differently.