• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Finding A Family Member

Martha Moser

Jul 23, 2018
Houston Texas
This is a difficult post due to personal reasons but here goes.
I have a daughter on the run from police, Sheriff Dept & Texas Children's Protection Agency. She has 4 children. I have 2 boys, I've buried a 5 month old granddaughter in 2016 that I'd never met, held or loved on (mom on the run then too).
I'm trying to establish if I can add he on Android Find My Device long enough to locate without her knowing. While looking for her at Social Services request. Since someone reported her, the baby has been in 2 very bad situations. August the friend my daughter runs with got 2 tickets. Parking in a handicapped spot & leaving a minor unattended. In September the same woman was arrested for 1> ->4gms controlled substance. Also in poking around we discovered the person just got out of the state jail for 200 gms of same whatever.
Long-winded & sorry for that. Just wanted to relay the urgency & privacy to find the baby. I didn't even know she had another baby until CPS contacted me
Thanks

I understand that you are considering this with the best motives, in a difficult situation, but I don't think you can... and it would probably be a criminal offence if you did*

If the police are after her... they have the ability to track the phone in ways that you can't... (via the phone company, an app manufacturer or possibly google)

*I'm not a lawyer... this is not legal advice.

Reactions: KBU2
Upvote 0
I understand that you are considering this with the best motives, in a difficult situation, but I don't think you can... and it would probably be a criminal offence if you did*

If the police are after her... they have the ability to track the phone in ways that you can't... (via the phone company, an app manufacturer or possibly google)

*I'm not a lawyer... this is not legal advice.

Believe me, I would not consider breaking the law. One criminal in a family is one too many. I just thought I would ask. I considered the fact that if someone did that to me , I'd be more than upset. But thanks for the answer. Pray for our family, if you would.

Reactions: KBU2 and psionandy
Upvote 0
No trying to sound like a prick, but she is a fugitive of the law and helping her is aiding and abetting...

I wasn't helping her evade nor abet. The agencies have closed the case because they can't find her. I've actually been invited by our congressman to go in front of the committee revamping the CPS agency & in that includes rights for grandparents & the children. Thus far it's been 'Shitty drug addict adult' protection agency.

Upvote 0
Android's Find My Device feature isn't going to help you much, unless you know her password to access the Google account your daughter has her phone registered with. Being on the run, there's a good chance she isn't even hanging on to her original phone anyway, the cops were undoubtedly trying to detect and monitor any forms of communication she might be using.

My deepest best wishes to you and those kids, this does sound like a really complicated matter.

Upvote 0
Android's Find My Device feature isn't going to help you much, unless you know her password to access the Google account your daughter has her phone registered with. Being on the run, there's a good chance she isn't even hanging on to her original phone anyway, the cops were undoubtedly trying to detect and monitor any forms of communication she might be using.

My deepest best wishes to you and those kids, this does sound like a really complicated matter.

Believe it or not, most passwords include bestmom4ever or something to that effect. Her profile pictures always include a collage of her & each child. No picture exists of her with her children. 😢

Upvote 0
I feel your pain Martha Moser. Im looking for a runaway female child myself who was living in shelters but now has almost 20,000 USD to change her life and i cannot find her. I wish it were that easy but at the same time I'm glad it's not. Not for the money. Only her signature can release that but because I love her and respect her privacy.

I'm really worried though.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain Martha Moser. Im looking for a runaway female child myself who was living in shelters but now has almost 20,000 USD to change her life and i cannot find her. I wish it were that easy but at the same time I'm glad it's not. Not for the money. Only her signature can release that but because I love her and respect her privacy.

I'm really worried though.

I just don't know any more. We've been doing this 8 years now. The level of & length of deceit the addict will go to is mind blowing. Mine is very convincing that we're the crazy ones 5 she's the victim. And when I put a mirror to my daughter's face & challenged each lie, then the battle was full on. Our phases were 5 fold in a 2-3 minute fracus. Calls or stops by. When I won't talk or allow her in, phase 1. Confusion on her part, phase 2. Phase 3 crying. 4 is blame. Last but not least threats. It took me a long time to stop it, consider the damage caused to these children & shield them for good. As parents & grandparents we hide behind closed doors with a self attached blame. Well, not me, anymore. Our congressman has invited me to Austin Tx in January. A committee is reconvening for measures to overhaul the CPS system & look at laws to give grandparents more lead in our pencils. Foster parents are strangers who are paid to keep our displaced babies, a recipe for disaster. It encourages taking on more children than can be managed. A business, if you will. I believe whole heartedly families should take care of their own, but zero help is not healthy for any family. It has changed our life dramatically. An elderly husband who is an observer, 2 boys & me. Smothering. But I'm from a big family & when my head is about to explode I realize what it was for me at 6 & 8 yrs old. Innocent & loved. They deserve this too. They didn't ask for this. The oldest asked when he was younger that if he would take responsibility & promise his mom would behave, would I let her come home. How do you tell a 5 yr old no. And it's not his job. Incredibly sad. And through it all the loss of my daughter feels like a death too. To close, all I can say is if your daughter is happy with you, you're enabling her. Money isn't for food, gas or a bad tire. It's for drugs. Period. Tough love is how u was forced to deal with it due to orders placed by authorities prohibiting her to be here. If we didn't follow? The kids would be removed. No answers just another parents perspective.

Upvote 0
I just don't know any more. We've been doing this 8 years now. The level of & length of deceit the addict will go to is mind blowing. Mine is very convincing that we're the crazy ones 5 she's the victim. And when I put a mirror to my daughter's face & challenged each lie, then the battle was full on. Our phases were 5 fold in a 2-3 minute fracus. Calls or stops by. When I won't talk or allow her in, phase 1. Confusion on her part, phase 2. Phase 3 crying. 4 is blame. Last but not least threats. It took me a long time to stop it, consider the damage caused to these children & shield them for good. As parents & grandparents we hide behind closed doors with a self attached blame. Well, not me, anymore. Our congressman has invited me to Austin Tx in January. A committee is reconvening for measures to overhaul the CPS system & look at laws to give grandparents more lead in our pencils. Foster parents are strangers who are paid to keep our displaced babies, a recipe for disaster. It encourages taking on more children than can be managed. A business, if you will. I believe whole heartedly families should take care of their own, but zero help is not healthy for any family. It has changed our life dramatically. An elderly husband who is an observer, 2 boys & me. Smothering. But I'm from a big family & when my head is about to explode I realize what it was for me at 6 & 8 yrs old. Innocent & loved. They deserve this too. They didn't ask for this. The oldest asked when he was younger that if he would take responsibility & promise his mom would behave, would I let her come home. How do you tell a 5 yr old no. And it's not his job. Incredibly sad. And through it all the loss of my daughter feels like a death too. To close, all I can say is if your daughter is happy with you, you're enabling her. Money isn't for food, gas or a bad tire. It's for drugs. Period. Tough love is how u was forced to deal with it due to orders placed by authorities prohibiting her to be here. If we didn't follow? The kids would be removed. No answers just another parents perspective.

I apologize for hijacking the thread & it's length. It just is such a prevalent problem however. It's more common than anyone knows.

Upvote 0
You can't hijack a thread you started @Martha Moser.
Agreed
Maybe a Moderator will move it to a more appropriate forum.
Also agreed. I moved this to the Android lounge as it is more of a generic "Android" question.

I'll ask that we keep the discussion focused on legal solutions to the OPs Android problem. I think its fair to give some leeway to discuss the circumstances surrounding "why" she need to locate her daughter, I don't want that discussion to a) distract from finding a valid solution and b) turning the thread into a political debate that both hinders the true objective and forces a PCA move.

To @Martha Moser,
I occasionally log into my wife's account to check her location (see note below). When I do she gets a notification on her phone that someone pinged the location. Even if I use her Chromebook (which is left logged in as her) to locate her she gets this notification. So you would not be able to do it without her knowing (whether she notices or understands what it means is different). I'm not sure if you would be putting yourself in legal jeopardy for accessing her account surreptitiously or render any information gained unusable by law enforcement, and I'm not sure aside from legal counsel, how to figure that out. As you said, one criminal in the family is enough. ;)

Regarding police being able to locate her, yes, they can, quite quickly and quite accurately, but, I believe that is limited both legally and technically, and I'm sure they would have taken any actions they felt prudent and legal in the situation. If she is using throw away phones they may not know "what" phone to locate. If the phone is turned off there may not be a signal to find. In some aspects this ability far more advanced than Hollywood suggests, in others, far less. YMMV.

I hope this helps, and I hope other members can offer any insight as well. Good luck :(
I'll add this so this doesn't devolve into a "you should trust your wife" discussion. My wife and I are nearly always able to get in touch, even when one of us is overseas. We know and understand that each of us will "locate" the other when one of us is out and about and unable to be reached by other normal methods. Sort of an "oh, she's in the supermarket and has no cell signal" and not off the road in a ditch.

Upvote 0
I had a few friends that encounter issues like this before but I'm not a fan of Facebook or Twitter but I recommended them to reach out on social media and lo and behold in a few weeks they located them. This can also have a negative effect towards an individual trying to get away from psycho boyfriends looking for their girlfriend that's trying to get away from them.

Upvote 0
I had a few friends that encounter issues like this before but I'm not a fan of Facebook or Twitter but I recommended them to reach out on social media and lo and behold in a few weeks they located them. This can also have a negative effect towards an individual trying to get away from psycho boyfriends looking for their girlfriend that's trying to get away from them.

Absolutely. The need for the ping? They move like carnival people. Any hint, smell or whatever they bolt.

Upvote 0
And the end of this mess for the time being... CPS closed the case. 'Can't find her and the baby and can't chase any and every little rabbit hole provided'.
The county Sheriff has only a warrant for court fees (not priority). The city police department that found the baby in the car alone in August, no big deal either. Tickets that are due & woman didn't show for court. The drug bust with baby in the car (4gm controlled substance) are not concerned. Called an agency here in Houston called Crime Stoppers. You have to basically have them by the hand & walk them into their building. They don't investigate anything. So here we are.
The CPS guy will probably never recover from my last conversation. Informed him the baby is not a rabbit & she's very much in danger & that his card read investigator. Told him he better get to investigating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones